1030 cal and not losing! why! ?

Options

Replies

• Hamburgtexan
    Options
    Thanks again for all your comments.
    1. My calorie counting is very accurate. My "servings" are based on my own recipes prepared (everything weighed) and divided accordingly.
    2. Thanks for encouragement in muscle training.
    3. I have lost 300g this week.
    4. I weigh (today) 62.4. My goal is 60. I've lost 2.5kg
    I feel encouraged to hear I'm not alone with the low calorie requirements...but I will see my doctor and have tests done as well!
    It's so good to get feedback and a call to patience!
    Wish you all the same as well! !
  • Hamburgtexan
    Options
    Oh...and just for the info. I based my calorie intake on sedentary lifestyle and only eat back 1/3 exercise cals (if at all)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP, not sure if this has been said yet, but you need more protein, way more. You are not even meeting your 50 gram goal (which is much too low to start with) I would suggest you use the carbs as a max and the protein and fat goals as minimums.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Undereating for an extending period of time results in metabolic shut down and starvation/preservation response from the body. You gain more when you eat more because your body is going "Oh Thank God!" and holding onto everything so it can survive. If you're going to refeed, you have to give it at least 2-3 weeks to balance out, and not turn back on it when you see a couple pounds on the scale.

If you had marginal thyroid problems before, this is likely only making it worse. I think it's time to get a full physical and work with a nutritionist, because if 1030 is your intake, and you're exercising on top of that, you're living in eating disorder land and could get very sick trying to turn it around on your own.

People fail to understand that the answer to losing weight is not 100% cutting out food. Our bodies need a basic, minimum level of food every day to function.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    My exercise is based on runtastic. I only run...... sedentary lifestyle.
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • Hamburgtexan
    Options
    I don't do well with cheese or eggs . How about beans?
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1. My calorie counting is very accurate. My "servings" are based on my own recipes prepared (everything weighed) and divided accordingly.
    I feel encouraged to hear I'm not alone with the low calorie requirements...but I will see my doctor and have tests done as well!

- don't log your exercise as mfp overestimates
    - increase your protein as its a hunger suppressant and aids weight lose, stops you losing muscle which in turn makes you more efficient at burning calories.
    - maybe up the calories a touch but stay below your maintenance numbers

Terry
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP if you are not losing weight then you are not in a deficit. You are doing something wrong, weigh ALL solid foods and measure liquids only!!

Plus 1030 calories is not enough. I don't base whether I am hungry or not, my body needs fuel. I'm 5'2, 45 years old, when I am in a deficit I eat between 1600-1900 calories depending exercise calories.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Sorry if your not losing then you are not in a deficit. So that means you are not accurate and your diary proves that.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I'm at a healthy weight but at the top end of BMI.
    Maybe it is just slow going when you are trying to adjust a little. Thanks. That's encouraging.
    P.s. unfortunately, when I surpass 1100cal. I gain. :( I have a really really efficient metabolism. I just don't need much. Have healthy hair and nails etc.

Or you're consuming more calories than you think and burning less. This is the more likely scenario.

Likely this.

Also, since you are already slim, check out the "stickies" at the beginning of "The School of Strout" group. They explain the unique difficulties of being fairly slim and trying to get leaner. I am so very familiar with the struggle, and it is definitely a real struggle. Please read this group's posts!

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,505 Member
    Options
    Just gonna say here that if you're metabolism was "efficient", then burning off 1100 calories at 5'2" shouldn't be an issue. Apparently it is since I have 2 friends at work who are 5'1" and eat well over 1500 calories a day and maintain just fine.
    If you've been eating low cal your whole life, then you more than likely have a lower BMR, less lean muscle and any dieting at all slows your metabolic rate significantly. So realistically if you're not losing at all, you're eating more than you need to to support the metabolic needs you currently have. Which means you're not that efficient metabolically or as you think.
    Add in some physical activity even if it's just walking for 30 minutes a day. Also, ensure you're getting enough rest since fat is burned exclusively at rest. Lack of sleep is a big factor for people who don't lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

So, you ARE losing. I've noticed that people often post a thread like this just before they see a loss, then update the thread to show the loss at some point. I think it was 6 days between your OP and todays note showing you lost 300g. That is a decent loss, IMO, considering you have just a few pounds to lose. You lost about 10 ounces, right?

55835802.png

• itsbygrace76
    Options
    I've been eating quite on target. I've always known that I have a frustratingly efficient metabolism. But I don't understand how I can not be losing weight with what I eat! ?
    I would be thankful for some constructive input! Thanks

One thing I have found out that needs to be done based on my personal experience. Log everything! Don't leave a single thing out even if you don't think it matters. It really does! Make sure if you eat that small dove chocolate square log it!

Another thing is to change up your exercise routine. If you only run maybe try something else for several weeks. Your body gets used to certain exercise and then of course that doesn't help at all in the area of weight loss. This is called muscle confusion. For an example when I was a lot heavier, I worked where I had to walk a lot, like several miles a day. I couldn't understand way I didn't lose weight. Well my body was so used to that type of exercise that it wasn't going to help me any. I had to do something different. Still now years later, and weighing over 100 pounds less than I did then, I still have to change up my workout routine, or I won't continue to loose so I can reach that final goal weight.

This confusion thing goes for your diet as well. There is a thing called carb confusion, this you would only do maybe 3-5 days at a time. Like eat as few carbs as you can and more protein and then switch it back, but do it regularly. It's all a matter of keeping your body guessing so it can't get used to any one thing.

The muscle and carb confusion is not just something I am making up, this has come from the advice of my personal trainer, other runners and fitness people and I do this myself regularly and have had some major success.

Sorry this is so long.
  • ChrisManch
    ChrisManch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Humans evolved in a time when there were bumper harvests and famines, long winters to get through. Bodies evolved to survive this. If there is plenty of food, it will store fat in case of lean times, which of course never come these days, but your body is operating as if it were 10,000 years ago.

Eat too little on a consistent basis and your body will think its a famine, and slow down your metabolism to conserve what little food there is, so you don't lose those last few pounds. Eat a bit more and that goes to fat, emergency storage, but only temporarily. Keep eating a bit more and your matabolism will speed up again, lose the weight you gained, and more, but it takes a few weeks, not a few days.

I think you are eating too little.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I would say have a doctor look at your thyroid and your blood sugar at the very least. Make sure there's not something funky going on that you don't know about. Then I would suggest either bodyweight training or weight lifting.
  • kitkat_46510
    kitkat_46510 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just switching up exercise to something different may be all you need. But I agree with everybody that your calorie intake is too low. Eat more: lean meats, veggies and fruits.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I've been eating quite on target. I've always known that I have a frustratingly efficient metabolism. But I don't understand how I can not be losing weight with what I eat! ?
    I would be thankful for some constructive input! Thanks

One thing I have found out that needs to be done based on my personal experience. Log everything! Don't leave a single thing out even if you don't think it matters. It really does! Make sure if you eat that small dove chocolate square log it!

Another thing is to change up your exercise routine. If you only run maybe try something else for several weeks. Your body gets used to certain exercise and then of course that doesn't help at all in the area of weight loss. This is called muscle confusion. For an example when I was a lot heavier, I worked where I had to walk a lot, like several miles a day. I couldn't understand way I didn't lose weight. Well my body was so used to that type of exercise that it wasn't going to help me any. I had to do something different. Still now years later, and weighing over 100 pounds less than I did then, I still have to change up my workout routine, or I won't continue to loose so I can reach that final goal weight.

This confusion thing goes for your diet as well. There is a thing called carb confusion, this you would only do maybe 3-5 days at a time. Like eat as few carbs as you can and more protein and then switch it back, but do it regularly. It's all a matter of keeping your body guessing so it can't get used to any one thing.

The muscle and carb confusion is not just something I am making up, this has come from the advice of my personal trainer, other runners and fitness people and I do this myself regularly and have had some major success.

Sorry this is so long.

That kinda sounds like 'bro science', no?

• tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You aren't actually counting your calories correctly...or you are binging some days, no such thing as starvation mode