I threw away Cheesecake!!!

Options
1171819202123»

Replies

• skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    MissAnjy wrote: »
    Are people seriously up this guys *kitten* about throwing it out and not taking it back for another coworker to have and get diabetes from? Seriously.

It takes a LOT of willpower to do this, good for you OP!

i have seen a LOT of derp in these forums, but this one takes the cake.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    JoRocka
    being able to turn down delicious food is a really empowering feeling.
    I understand what you mean, saying no to food is extremely difficult, you should be very proud of yourself!

! :)
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    The other day I went (alone) to a restaurant which is world-famous for its cheesecake. Unfortunately, the serving size is enormous, like literally 5 times as much as I wanted.

I ordered it. And ate about 20% of it. And then didn't ask for it to be boxed up, because I ate as much as I cared to and didn't want to carry it around, nor did I want to eat it later.

The cheesecake was $8. I would argue that I got $8 worth of value out of it. I would have ordered it at the same price even if the serving size was the tiny amount I wanted.

Now, some people will say that this is better because a) I paid for it and b) I ate some of it. But I'd say that makes it worse because a) OP only wasted food, but I wasted both money and food, and b) OP changed his mind at the last minute, but I KNEW I was going to throw most of it away when I ordered it.

My feeling is this: OP wanted the cake when he took it. Then decided he didn't. OK. He found his willpower a little late, but he found it. Good for him. "Wasting food" is a ridiculous concept in North America. If we all ate everything we were served, we would all be obese. No one should eat out of guilt.

• inthslif
    inthslif Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    *In a Homer Simpson voice* Mmmmmm.........cheesecake
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    The other day I went (alone) to a restaurant which is world-famous for its cheesecake. Unfortunately, the serving size is enormous, like literally 5 times as much as I wanted.

I ordered it. And ate about 20% of it. And then didn't ask for it to be boxed up, because I ate as much as I cared to and didn't want to carry it around, nor did I want to eat it later.

The cheesecake was $8. I would argue that I got $8 worth of value out of it. I would have ordered it at the same price even if the serving size was the tiny amount I wanted.

Now, some people will say that this is better because a) I paid for it and b) I ate some of it. But I'd say that makes it worse because a) OP only wasted food, but I wasted both money and food, and b) OP changed his mind at the last minute, but I KNEW I was going to throw most of it away when I ordered it.

My feeling is this: OP wanted the cake when he took it. Then decided he didn't. OK. He found his willpower a little late, but he found it. Good for him. "Wasting food" is a ridiculous concept in North America. If we all ate everything we were served, we would all be obese. No one should eat out of guilt.

no, OP did waste money. he wasted someone elses money, not his own. THAT'S what makes it worse. do you think that cheesecake just appears from the cheesecake gods in the o.p.'s situation and nobody paid for it?
  • kristenlarkin
    kristenlarkin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I think throwing it away after you made a mistake in taking it, is better than eating it to not waste food.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    maybe if you actually paid for food or anything in life, you would appreciate it more. if you rely on other people to buy you everything, your credibility is pretty low on this issue.

what if she doesnt have any money

her "oh sweetie" was more of a brag type post as if she is using men to feed her. didn't come across as her being poor. came across as condescendingly bragging about men buying her stuff.

way too serious. the real crime here is against the poor cheesecake who found its fate

btw, she might like woman, she could steal the food, or she could really be poor or gets all her food free in the restuarant she works in or owns. the possibilities are endless.

Dine and Dash!
    Well, in that case she wouldn't...

380.gif

.....Need2Exerc1se

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »

agin there is a difference between ordering something, getting full, and not finishing it and it gets thrown away; rather then just throwing something away because one views the food as "bad" and that is the only reason it is thrown away….IMO
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    no, OP did waste money. he wasted someone elses money, not his own. THAT'S what makes it worse. do you think that cheesecake just appears from the cheesecake gods in the o.p.'s situation and nobody paid for it?

Considering the number of people in my office who "waste" colossal amounts of money every day on overpriced $7 takeout coffees, I'm not sure they'd be terribly concerned about the cost of a slice of cheesecake.

Except for the coworker who refuses to waste ANY food EVER and thus treats us to her freezer-burnt goodies from two years past. (Which no one eats, and eventually get tossed... just in case you're wondering.)
  • Aviva92
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

Considering the number of people in my office who "waste" colossal amounts of money every day on overpriced $7 takeout coffees, I'm not sure they'd be terribly concerned about the cost of a slice of cheesecake.

Except for the coworker who refuses to waste ANY food EVER and thus treats us to her freezer-burnt goodies from two years past. (Which no one eats, and eventually get tossed... just in case you're wondering.)

doesn't matter. still rude. not his money.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Would it help you all if the Op paid his colleague for the slice of cheesecake. Maybe he should hand himself into the local police station. Or confess his sins at church.
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This makes me wanna bake a nice delicious cheesecake and eat it too.
  • Joe_Buck69
    Joe_Buck69 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    From a psychoanalytical perspective, I think what happened here is that the OP was very proud of his having exercised the willpower to not consume the cheesecake that stood before him. The cheesecake, for him, became a personal demon that the OP felt he had to slay. And slay it he did. Slayed it good.

And so, like every proud victor who stands before the corpse of his vanquished foe, he chose to discard the body in the most unceremonious manner possible. Yes, it would have been nice if the OP had returned the unsoiled piece of cheesecake from whence he had taken it. But then, in his eyes, that would diminish, from a symbolistic perspective, his supreme achievement. (OP—am I getting warm?)

Although, depending on the context, one can certainly do that—dispose of something in a ritualistic manner—without mitigating the degree of one's accomplishment. In Shakespeare's The Tragedy of Coriolanus, for instance, it was nice for Aufidius to demand a hero's funeral for his eternal enemy, the eponymous protagonist. But the struggle of losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle is typically not a drama that unfolds on the venerable stage of the Globe Theatre.

I'm gonna cut the OP some slack on this.
  • hmz74
    hmz74 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well done. Good for you. It is so hard at times but you made the right choice for you at that time.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Would it help you all if the Op paid his colleague for the slice of cheesecake. Maybe he should hand himself into the local police station. Or confess his sins at church.

I don't view what the o.p. did as the worst thing in the world. I just don't view it as a huge accomplishment. The accomplishment factor is diminished to at least be neutral.
  • Joe_Buck69
    Joe_Buck69 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I don't view what the o.p. did as the worst thing in the world. I just don't view it as a huge accomplishment. The accomplishment factor is diminished to at least be neutral.
    You should have stopped at "accomplishment." No need to elaborate further and demote the OP's victory to "neutral" (although that is not the ideal word choice here).

Nobody cares for neutral.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!