Walking

rubywhite21
rubywhite21 Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2015 in Getting Started
hi i reallly don't want to do exercise. Literally HATE it!! Do u think walking a lot and just trying to keep as active as possible will be ok 4 now?

Replies

• areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Why not? All movement is good. If you start moving more than you were before it is bound to help. There is ton of research out there on the benefits of walking. Here's a link to an article put out by the Mayo Clinic.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/walking/art-20046261

Part of sticking with any exercise routine is liking it on some level, even if it is just liking how you feel afterwards. Good luck.
  • I think that walking is a good way to get in some exercise. Right now that's how I am getting mine.
  • Deedee1111111
    Deedee1111111 Posts: 66 Member
    yep that'll work! i don't think you'll see very fast results, but it's always good to keep moving! i walk eeeverywhere, and it definitely helps to keep off the pounds.

i hope you'll be able to find some sort of exercise you enjoy! bike rides can be fun :)
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    I started walking after new year about an hour brisk pace 6 days a week and have lost 17lbs in 6 weeks. Am starting to add some strength training now and thinking about doing C25K to take fitness up to next level, however walking definitely helped get me off to a great start, I'm sure it will work for you too!
  • vickierivero1
    vickierivero1 Posts: 46 Member
    absolutely.
  • glenmiller2014
    glenmiller2014 Posts: 4 Member
    If you read up on it walking is basically the best possible cardio exercise there is.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    ALL I do is walk..that and eating at a calorie deficit will work. One day, One pound, One step at a time.
  • Walking is exercise! And for me, I get to go at my pace so I stay motivated. When I start I usually go slow, but as the endorphins kick in I find myself going faster. I love that it's at MY level! :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Easy answer ...yes

Aim for 10000 steps minimum per day

Try to increase your pace

I earn back the same calories for 10K steps as I do for a hard 45min gym workout ...I get different benefits but in terms of weightloss and the CICO equation it's the same (I use a fitbit to keep me moving on non workout days)
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    the thing with walking, unless you're power walking, changing your route, pace, rhythm....you will 'plateau' eventually....in that case, you'll have to reconsider what you're eating....

my fiance is in the same boat.....she wants to lose weight, but despises the gym and working out.....lol. i tell her well, time to re-evaluate the meals then......
  • rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Walking is great, when you walk a mile or run a mile, you have done the same work, burned the same amount of calories. You probably make your heart beat faster when you run but the work, moving your body over a set distance is essentially the same.
  • greenoranges67
    greenoranges67 Posts: 33 Member
    I love to swim does not feel like exercise
  • shawna_25
    shawna_25 Posts: 84 Member
    I am living proof that walking works! I haven't been to the gym since summer and I ditched the car about a month ago and began walking and busing. I began walking Jan 18, and enabled the step counter in MFP only to realize that my walking was burning a substantial amount of calories. With not necessarily a strict diet, but staying within my caloric boundaries, I've lost 13 lbs. So ditch the car, get walking and get serious. Good luck!
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Walking is the only cardio I can do right now. I try to go further each week as well as walking faster when I can and I'm not in too much pain.

I want a recumbent exercise bike hopefully soon because the type of seat and angle is better with my back issues (that won't go away with weight loss). I can cycle for a long time while watching a show.

I'm losing weight (by accurately counting calories) even when I can't exercise much, but I do want to be in some kind of good shape in the end.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    ahoier wrote: »
    the thing with walking, unless you're power walking, changing your route, pace, rhythm....you will 'plateau' eventually....in that case, you'll have to reconsider what you're eating....

my fiance is in the same boat.....she wants to lose weight, but despises the gym and working out.....lol. i tell her well, time to re-evaluate the meals then......

you won't plateau if you keep a calorie deficit. it's all about keeping a calorie deficit to lose weight. that's it. you could be completely sedentary and still lose weight without hitting a plateau as long as you eat a deficit. walking just gives you room to eat more.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    rdonald57 wrote: »
    Walking is great, when you walk a mile or run a mile, you have done the same work, burned the same amount of calories. You probably make your heart beat faster when you run but the work, moving your body over a set distance is essentially the same.

i don't think this is true. i think running burns more calories.
  • JoRolleNola
    JoRolleNola Posts: 152 Member
    Walking is the easiest thing for me to do with out thinking about it. Try and do a mile a day and gradually work yourself up to a mile and a half, then 2 and so on. The weight will come off.
  • Byrekyla
    Byrekyla Posts: 22 Member
    A recumbent bike is the biggest waste of money I have ever encountered.

I'll use it they say, it's not even like working out they say.

So much so that it feels pointless, ineffective. I've burned more calories dusting the thing off than actually using it. Treadmill is a totally different story. Love that thing!
  • TheSurge0n
    TheSurge0n Posts: 113 Member
    Brisk walking is great but better do in the morning before breakfast .
    Good for blood sugar utilization & pancreas
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    hi i reallly don't want to do exercise. Literally HATE it!! Do u think walking a lot and just trying to keep as active as possible will be ok 4 now?

For almost 1 year I really only did walking (and now strength training); at first I had trouble walking 5 min at 2 mph...now 1 hr is daily...but always with music loaded on my phone.

My full story with photos is at: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10080664/lost-191-lbs-photos-success-after-999-failures/p1

By my ticker below you can see walking didn't help me at all.....LOL!

73641431.png