• jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was the athletic-looking person puttering slowly on the recumbent bike 6 months ago with a lower back injury (SI joint with radiulopathy from hell). It sucked. Months of PT and an injection later, and a Vicodin every now and then on bad days, and it's mostly better. :)

The only time I judged people negatively at the gym was when they were bundled up in long pants and a hoodie with the hood up (think Kenny from South Park) and using the only treadmill that got a decent airflow from the ceiling fans, when there were dozens and dozens of other treadmills open. Meanwhile, I was in shorts and a tank with a sweaty splash zone around me (think Gallagher concert).

But I've since quit the gym, lift at home, and only run outdoors, so that's not a problem. Now my only problem is icy sidewalks and a paranoia that someone in the ritzy development I've been running (wide streets and low traffic, it's a perfect "track" until the snow melts) is going to call the cops on the shifty looking woman who passes their house eight times every couple days.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Too busy judging myself harshly to judge others.

This. Except I judge the girls who hang out, sitting on equipment to check out/pick up guys.

• apple173
    apple173 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I get that young studs point. There were a few people at my gym who sat on the stationary bikes and read the womans weekly or newspaper. I know these pepple are capable but they are hogging up an equipment for 20 mins someone else could use. Then they complain to the trainer that they feel their program isn't sufficient enough. Go figure.

On the other side we have had some people working out because they have injuries. I don't judge people who are actually working out whether through injuries, rehab etc. I don't bother myself with other people's workouts but i have waited for a bike because someone wanted to just finish reading that last page. I don't think that guy was judging but i haven't read his thread.

Good on you for still working out. I wish you well.
  • brightwell44
    brightwell44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I never judge anyone at the gym... At least they are trying. I wouldn't feel bad about hogging the equipment ... You paid for a membership if they don't have enough machines for their members it's not your problem. Good luck!
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Too busy judging myself harshly to judge others.

^THIS!!!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Why is it always the reformed gym judgers starting these types of threads to preach about judging others? It's like that annoying uncle at family gatherings who joined AA and now no one can drink. That guy stinks.
  • TianaHll
    Options
    I'm just floating in the pool and calling it exercise. I'm sure that's what my deep water running looks like. In the water is where I feel the most pain free and normal. I may never be able to run on land. So the good thing is I won't be hogging any treadmills. When every step you take is painful floating in the pool is a lot of fun.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    People have busy minds thinking all the time. Good-bad, right-wrong. . . . It's worthwhile to snap out of it and look for the good when you can. Life is short. Pay it forward at the gym.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    In our crazy world, people always seemed to be concerned with what other people are doing, saying, reading, watching, etc. Which is why there is lots of judgement. The reality is that no one knows what issues one might have or that they don't NEED to work out like you do. Some are super intense, some just intense and some moderate or less. Which ever it is, if it bothers someone else, then that's their issue to deal with.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Hey Niner :)