How do you meet protein goal?

Options
124»

Replies

• Mythicalbee
    Options
    Yikes, sorry I had a hard time even reading this thread but the topic intrigued me! I now find that I crave proteins more because of my health journey over the past two years (run 3x/week and bodypump 2x/week) some great and easy proteins are plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese with a fat percentage that fits your diet (whether you're doing macros or clean or whatever, matching your protein to fats needs choosing fat free low curd cottage or 1% and so on...) Soy based proteins don't seem to work as well as far as current scientific trends go, but like anything else that could change (did you read that cholesterol may not be as big of a deal as once thought?) Look for 99% lean ground turkey, chicken breasts already trimmed or learn to trim yourself - getting in a habit of precooking or using a crock pot helps tremendously! Look to these alternatives vs beef. **One of my favorite go-tos for breakfast (or when I need a protein fix) is... beat 6 eggs into a 1/2 carton of original egg beaters. Add diced spinach (about 1/3 a bag store bought). Whisk all in a bowl. Now get our your muffin tin! Spray with Pam or a hand pump olive oil sprayer. Pour in your egg and spinach mixture til 2/3 full. I like spice so if you want, add some red pepper flakes and literally a few grains of salt on top of each 'muffin'. Bake in your oven for 20 at 350 (keep an eye on it, like a cake, stick a toothpick into it for done-ness.) Cool a bit and pop those babies in a tupperware container. You now have a low-fat/high protein item you can pop in the micro for 30 sec and nosh on! Spinach is high in vitamins and protein, but no fat - the egg beaters have the protein and no fat, the real eggs have the protein and fat... and also the taste! Hope this helps, sorry your legitimate query for help was hijacked, and let me know if you do try this recipe if you like it... and any alterations you make that I can try! Stay strong and healthy!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    NicoleS9 wrote: »
    There is not a cardiologist or nutritionist or the planet who would recommend a high protein diet.

LULZ...my medical team is obviously comprised of Martians...My goal is ~100-110g daily. Which is not too difficult, as I like protein foods. I've been advised (medically) to not go above 200g daily (which would be A LOT for me and completely unneccesary). But my dietician and primary care physician think 100-120g is totally perfect for me (dietician says around 20-25% of total calories, or up to 1lb/lb of LBM, which falls in the 20-25% of calories range for me).
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I only found protein goals challenging when pregnant, since the recommendation there is higher- about 70(although some recommend 100 when pregnant) Protein/amino acids are in practically everything these days. You only need about 45 or 46 grams if you aren't pregnant or nursing. That should be pretty simple.
    - quinoa, BEANS, nuts (watch what kind), almond butter,

40-45g? Maybe per the RDA for sedentary individuals but not for people that exercise/practice resistance training. We need more than the RDA.

If your goal is to really build body muscle, sure, but that's not needed for regular workouts. Sedentary doesn't come into play, as carbohydrates give energy.
    I danced professionally for years - nine hours of performing a week. That doesn't require anyone to up protein goals.

No sorry, your statement is false. And if you are building muscle you need more carbs than protein. Regular weight training even in a deficit you need to have adequate protein in to have a positive nitrogen balance. You have to preserve lbm in a deficit. We need enough for MPS and not just for people building muscle. Protein intake is not about pulling it for energy. Protein is the last resort of energy sources after carbs which is its prefer ed source then fat.

That's what I said. Energy comes from carbohydrates, not protein.

Who said anything about energy for protein before you did? You are arguing a point that no one made.

And what is a regular workout? What is a non regular workout?
    Energy for protein???? What?
    Have you had a bad day? You're a really argumentative person.
    I think at this point he'd just like you to clarify what a "regular workout" vs "non-regular workout" is and how that changes one's protein needs. Mostly because in 75% of your posts in this thread so far you've failed to clarify what this means.

Higher protein is still needed when one is aiming to retain their lean body mass. If you do not have specific goals pertaining to lean body mass then eat however much or little protein you'd like to.

And he clearly meant energy from protein... just a typo...............

There was no typo, she just typed out protein for energy as a response because she had nothing better to say. She's just confused.

Oh, well both can make sense. IDK man I was just getting annoyed so I added that in lol.

I'm just going to say that I know what I was saying and what she was trying to say, one of us was wrong.
    I meant both as in what you originally wrote and my typo comment. I have no idea waht she said anymore or if it could make sense lol.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge tofu fan, but I do like it a few ways, and in miso soup is one of them. Just cube it small, sautee it for a few minutes with some fresh ginger, throw in some veggies (chopped green onion, julienne carrot, etc.) and herbs (cilantro, parsley, whatever) and a little garlic, stir for just a minute, then pour in about 8 ounces of water. Heat water...just until hot if veggies are really thin, a little longer if veggies are thicker and need to be softened. Remove from heat and stir in a tablespoon of miso. The tofu adds a nice contrast to the texture of the crisp veggies and the saltiness of the miso.
  • minionman
    minionman Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Graceraeg wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time eating enough protein! What do you do to eat enough?
    Graceraeg wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time eating enough protein! What do you do to eat enough?

Chicken, beef, beans, protein shake.. Just try to keep it simple, eggs are also a good source, greek yogurt, tons of stuff, eat what works for your body and enjoy your life, don't stress too much on the science crap. Spend your time in better ways! Happy Valentine's Day!
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    I don't have a problem getting enough protein, because I am a dedicated carnivore. Every day I have some kind of meat. I like fish, beef, chicken, lamb, pork, elk and probably others that I'm forgetting to mention. Heck, today I made a moose roast for dinner!
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I royally suck at hitting my protein macro and routinely obliterate my carb macro (to excess). Thank you for this thread. I've gotten some really solid ideas about how to sort out my macros from it.
  • Betsyk2001
    Betsyk2001 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Protein shake in the morning & I eat always lentils. Lentils are really high in protien and super filling. I put them in soups and casseroles.
  • niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I supplement to meet my needs OP. That way I can get in more veggies. If not, I'm too full. Plus, the shakes and bars taste good. I only use bars first thing in the am or for a treat that I need.