Waist Training; Yay or Nay?

Options

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I would NOT be using a LACE UP Corset which would be the one that people say push organs.. Id being using a gym corset which helps excite your abdomen muscles and help sweat more. I am in NO WAY using a corset to help me perform miracles

If it's infused with Garcinia Cowabunga it'll excite the muscles.

No typo.

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'd ditch the waist training, opt for weight training instead.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Wut
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Nooo!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would NOT be using a LACE UP Corset which would be the one that people say push organs.. Id being using a gym corset which helps excite your abdomen muscles and help sweat more. I am in NO WAY using a corset to help me perform miracles

Ridiculous concept

Compound lifts, progressive weights, calorie defecit
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1bkblack wrote: »
    Check out the Dr. Oz show from Thursday Feb 12. He had a very informative segment about this very subject. Then draw your own informed with evidence conclusion.

You know the guy is an idiot media *kitten* don't you?

I don't even live in America, we, thankfully, don't get this show, and even I know the guy is a snake oil salesman of the highest degree

For informed, evidence based conclusions you need scientific rigour not a media spot to fill with bro-science
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Ridiculous concept

Compound lifts, progressive weights, calorie defecit

This^^^^ It sounds like a fad. There is no other solution to weight loss and/or getting in shape then a calorie deficit and exercise.

• Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    OK,

A. why are you considering waist training?
    B. This:
    I don't think you'll get many informed comments on here. Clearly some people are commenting without the slightest clue of what it is and without even trying to research it a little. You might want to try a forum specific for corset wearers. There's a forum for everything.

C. NO:
    1bkblack wrote: »
    Check out the Dr. Oz show from Thursday Feb 12. He had a very informative segment about this very subject. Then draw your own informed with evidence conclusion.

I am confused as to why you are asking a corset question in a weight loss/fitness forum. Corsets neither make you fit nor lose weight - they change your shape to some extend. As long as you know that, I would refer you back to answer B. (and whatever you do, C. will always be a NO.)
  • Izzwoz
    Options

What you describe there is not a waist training corset, hence the confusion. I don't know anything about the thing you are describing but it sounds very much like a pointless scam to me - sweating more only loses you water that you have to top up, if you don't want to risk health problems eventually. Eat right (at a deficit, if you want to lose weight), exercise right (only you know what "right" is for you), and the rest will happen, without wasting money on scammy gadgets.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Uhm, actually this makes it worse. A lace up corset would make sense, as a fashion statement, not as a way to lose weight. But "exciting" your abs???

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

This is NOT waist training.

What you are describing is scam. sweating more does nothing for fat loss and as for excite the ab muscles - just no :noway:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'll get many informed comments on here. Clearly some people are commenting without the slightest clue of what it is and without even trying to research it a little.

You might want to try a forum specific for corset wearers. There's a forum for everything.

Turns out the op doesn't have a clue about what it is either.
  • Izzwoz
    Options
    I don't think you'll get many informed comments on here. Clearly some people are commenting without the slightest clue of what it is and without even trying to research it a little.

You might want to try a forum specific for corset wearers. There's a forum for everything.

Turns out the op doesn't have a clue about what it is either.

Lol
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jairam wrote: »
    I'm pro waist training, but you need proper advise before starting it. Waist training is by no means an easy option.

Do your research and see a doctor about this. If you're wearing a corset just to help you sweat, that's not waist training. Anyone I've known who did waist training used a lace up corset and saw their doctor very regularly.
  • princesschanteee
    princesschanteee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Waist training is perfectly safe and truly amazing if done correctly. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting trim their waist, have a flat tummy or get rid of back fat. I've seen fantastic results.
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    While I have heard concern about organ damage I have not seen data to back it up so I won't go either way on this. Just wanted to point out that if you decide to do this do not skimp and get a cheap one. Always steer away from wooden boned models and inspect the seams over the boning before putting it on.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good way to increase intra-abdominal pressure and give yourself some problems
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdominal_compartment_syndrome

I don't understand how your organs would know the difference between a lace-up corset and a gym corset
  • AngelaKim714
    Options
    I dont see why not! Id be waist training right now if I bought the right size lol. I say do it. just be safe about it and slowly work your way in with the corset.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options

Genuine question - how does a corset "excite" your muscles and what do excited muscles do differently to ordinary ones..? Sweating won't do anything to make your waist smaller.
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    helps excite your abdomen muscles

When I want to excite my abdomen muscles I take them for ice cream. Yay ice cream!