Vegan diet? Let's talk!

Options
Anyone on a vegan diet? I'm doing a 2 week vegan diet to see how much I can lose in 2 weeks (no meat what so ever, no dairy) just veggies, fruits, and pasta after 4pm for carbs. Want to do this diet plan with me?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Vegan diets won't cause weight loss on their own. Your plan will probably cause weight loss mainly because you're going to lose a bunch of muscle by not eating enough protein.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Vegans eat that way for a life style choice. It's not a "diet" to lose weight. You can gain weight eating vegan if you're still eating above your maintenance calories.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    You could eat a Vulcan diet for all it matters. Eat a deficit, lose weight.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Vegans eat that way for a life style choice. It's not a "diet" to lose weight. You can gain weight eating vegan if you're still eating above your maintenance calories.

Yep. Eat a calorie deficit, weigh your food, and work out. That's all you need to lose weight.
    If you aren't committed to it in the long run, I would recommend finding a plan that will work for you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Anyone on a vegan diet? I'm doing a 2 week vegan diet to see how much I can lose in 2 weeks (no meat what so ever, no dairy) just veggies, fruits, and pasta after 4pm for carbs. Want to do this diet plan with me?

If you want to pursue this diet plan then it might help you out to look up some vegan recipes and food plans. There's a lot more to the lifestyle than just veggies, fruit, and pasta after 4pm.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    You could eat a Vulcan diet for all it matters. Eat a deficit, lose weight.

Not a Trekkie (at least that is where I think this "race" is from). Dare I ask what Vulcans eat?
  • theonlycathy
    theonlycathy Posts: 14
    edited February 2015
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Vegan diets won't cause weight loss on their own. Your plan will probably cause weight loss mainly because you're going to lose a bunch of muscle by not eating enough protein.

You don't only get protein from meat and dairy... Look up on google/bing other natural ways to get protein! Like nuts and fruits that are all natural and healthy. Once you do cardio, that'll help with muscles and There are many other natural ways to consume protein
  • theonlycathy
    Options

Many vegans are fit, even if they gain weight... There healthy! (fat healthy people rather than fat unhealthy) yes it is also a diet plan. You can sustain from poultry/dairy eating only fruits, veggies, tofu, nuts & seeds for an amount of time with exercise. Some begin to like the diet and make it a lifestyle, eating healthy is key!
  • arditarose
    Options

Many vegans are fit, even if they gain weight... There healthy! (fat healthy people rather than fat unhealthy) yes it is also a diet plan. You can sustain from poultry/dairy eating only fruits, veggies, tofu, nuts & seeds for an amount of time with exercise. Some begin to like the diet and make it a lifestyle, eating healthy is key!

For weight loss, caloric deficit is key. If they are losing weight, it is simply because they are eating less calories than they are burning. This can be done on any kind of diet. Science.
  • theonlycathy
    Options

If you want to pursue this diet plan then it might help you out to look up some vegan recipes and food plans. There's a lot more to the lifestyle than just veggies, fruit, and pasta after 4pm.

Yeah most definetly! And I've been looking up recipes, that's just what I first started off with and I'm slowly moving on up. Thanks for the tip though!
  • theonlycathy
    Options

For weight loss, caloric deficit is key. If they are losing weight, it is simply because they are eating less calories than they are burning. This can be done on any kind of diet. Science.

Not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects and other serious health problems. People should focus in getting healthy and by doing that you'll automatically lose weight with cardio/exercise. Yes there are fat healthy people but also skinny unhealthy people. It's best to focus on eating enough healthy foods and a good amount of exercise!
  • arditarose
    Options

Not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects and other serious health problems. People should focus in getting healthy and by doing that you'll automatically lose weight with cardio/exercise. Yes there are fat healthy people but also skinny unhealthy people. It's best to focus on eating enough healthy foods and a good amount of exercise!

It's great to be healthy, with exercise and hitting your macros. But it does not mean you will lose weight. No. You have to be in a calorie deficit. Period. And I'm not talking about very low calorie diets. You do realize that's what this app is for, right? Helping you find a healthy calorie deficit so that you can lose weight.
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Most pasta isn't vegan - it's made from flour and eggs. Also, like everyone else said already, you won't necessarily lose weight just by being vegan.

Also, going vegan is something you should only do with proper research and care, to ensure that you get all the nutrients you need. A lot of people don't do their homework and end up with too little protein, to little iron, too little calcium, etc. Take me for example: I became anemic because I was no longer getting enough iron, which in turn made me dizzy, exhausted, unable to concentrate, constantly cold. I bruised easily and got and blueish, brittle nails - my hair even started falling out big time. It sucked.

It IS definitely possible to thrive on a vegan diet, but it takes a bit more work and planning :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to throw out your wool socks and sweaters.
  • theonlycathy
    Options

It's great to be healthy, with exercise and hitting your macros. But it does not mean you will lose weight. No. You have to be in a calorie deficit. Period. And I'm not talking about very low calorie diets. You do realize that's what this app is for, right? Helping you find a healthy calorie deficit so that you can lose weight.

Yeah I notice that!
  • theonlycathy
    Options
    Most pasta isn't vegan - it's made from flour and eggs. Also, like everyone else said already, you won't necessarily lose weight just by being vegan.

Also, going vegan is something you should only do with proper research and care, to ensure that you get all the nutrients you need. A lot of people don't do their homework and end up with too little protein, to little iron, too little calcium, etc. Take me for example: I became anemic because I was no longer getting enough iron, which in turn made me dizzy, exhausted, unable to concentrate, constantly cold. I bruised easily and got and blueish, brittle nails - my hair even started falling out big time. It sucked.

It IS definitely possible to thrive on a vegan diet, but it takes a bit more work and planning :)

That is so true! And I'm lacking iron to not enough blood but that's a different story for me ha
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Don't forget to throw out your wool socks and sweaters.
    And refined sugar. Ground with bones or something. Ah that was such a great thread :)

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Timing has no relevance what so ever. CICO
  • swole_elsa
    swole_elsa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Looks like the 801010 diet to me. Bail now while you still have control over your nervous system.

Also..
    This.^
    Being a vegan is not a diet. It is a lifestyle that one chooses for compassion towards sentient beings. It is not a weight loss quick fix. There are plenty of overweight and obese vegans out there.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

That is so true! And I'm lacking iron to not enough blood but that's a different story for me ha

Vegetarian is probably a better idea for you. Also, eat foods rich in vitamin C to help absorb iron.