Interval training vs. Regular Cardio

Options

Replies

• hawks2488
    hawks2488 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Why are you intent on losing 10 pounds in 2 weeks? I see you are backing off on that goal a bit now but what is (was) the significance or 10 pounds in 2 weeks?

This will sound goofy..but 10 lbs lighter is when i was able to sit in an airplane seat comfortably without a seat belt extender. So that's what I'm gunning for. I know 10 lbs in a week is unrealistic. I looked back at my weight logs from the past, I've lost as much as 8 in 2 weeks before. I think I can lose at least 5 lbs in 2 weeks...
  • hawks2488
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    hawks2488 wrote: »
    Are you actually eating 1500 calories or are you netting 1500 calories?

Eating 1500.
    Are you weighing or at least measuring your food so that you're confident that you're actually eating 1500 calories? If not, you'd be surprised to learn how far off calories for food portions can be if you're just eyeballing them or guessing as opposed to actually weighing the food.

90% of the time I am measuring my food. I eat a lot of cereal. Cheerios / Rice Krispies. Not ones loaded in sugar. I have my measuring cups at work. Or I will eat Progresso Light Soup which is low in calories. When I go home, I eat a bigger meal. Usually eat around 600-700 in the day time then the balance at night. I give myself three cheat meals per week.
  • hawks2488
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Ok let me ask this. I weigh myself on Friday mornings. Should I not work out on Thursday ? Am I retaining water because I have an intense workout on Thursday ? I admit the ten pound loss is not going to happen. If I could lose 6 in 2 weeks I'll be happy.
    Are you more concerned with fat losses or how water weight manipulates the number on the scale? If the former is true, do not skip your workout. If the latter is true, then skip that workout, go ultra low sodium the day before as well, maybe even go for a 1-2 hour session in a sauna. You will surely see a lower number on the scale.

As far as fat loss is concerned, the caloric deficit is the main factor. 1500 calories is pretty low for a man. How accurate is your calorie counting? Are you weighing 100% of what you eat on a food scale or do you estimate or use things meant for liquids like cups and spoons? Do you take cheat days? How about eating out?

I'm supposed to eat 2000 but I think that's really high. I get full really fast now. I would say I portion 90% of what I eat. I do have a food scale and I use that and I have measuring cups. I don't take cheat days. But I have 3 cheat meals a week. One on Friday after I weigh in, one Saturday and one Sunday. Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday I am good.
  • hawks2488
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Yeah the thing is - if you believe that the number on the scale is the most important indicator of health, then you should just do cardio. No lifting. If you would rather go a route that you'll probably be happier with long-term i.e. overall fitness, then you have to be prepared for the scale to act weird. Try measuring yourself instead, I find that when the scale moves then the measuring tape does not and vice versa.

That makes a lot of sense what you said. I used to weigh myself daily and it made me nuts. I'm just worried because I'll be in California and Vegas in 3 weeks. In N Out Burger, Del Taco and Tommys = 4 lbs. LOL
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why are you intent on losing 10 pounds in 2 weeks? I see you are backing off on that goal a bit now but what is (was) the significance or 10 pounds in 2 weeks?

This will sound goofy..but 10 lbs lighter is when i was able to sit in an airplane seat comfortably without a seat belt extender. So that's what I'm gunning for. I know 10 lbs in a week is unrealistic. I looked back at my weight logs from the past, I've lost as much as 8 in 2 weeks before. I think I can lose at least 5 lbs in 2 weeks...

I get that goal. :) Since you're lifting, though, you should be thinking less about pounds and more about inches. Sofaking6 has it right. If you want to focus solely on pounds as a measurement you shouldn't be lifting. It's going to skew things with regards to your weight. However, in my opinion lifting is more important than doing cardio. It is much easier to maintain the muscle you already have than to build new muscle. When we lose weight it is a combination of water, fat and muscle. Strength training helps to retain the muscle you already have and your body has built up a lot of muscle mass to move around your extra weight. If you can keep that muscle as you lose weight you're going to look amazing when you've lost the fat that is covering them. I started lifting last year and while I haven't lost a lot of weight, I've lost inches. I'm wearing clothes I could previously only wear when I weighed 10 pounds less than I do now. And on me, 10 pounds is quite a bit.

Since the seat on the airplane doesn't have a built in scale, it seems to me that your goal is really size-based and not scale-based, am I right? Grab a tape measure and start tracking your chest, waist, hips, thighs and any other body part you want to track and start recording them in MFP now. When the scale isn't moving your body might still be shrinking. Also take a photo of yourself in your swimsuit or boxers and keep it for reference.
  • hawks2488
    Options

I get that goal. :) Since you're lifting, though, you should be thinking less about pounds and more about inches. Sofaking6 has it right. If you want to focus solely on pounds as a measurement you shouldn't be lifting. It's going to skew things with regards to your weight. However, in my opinion lifting is more important than doing cardio. It is much easier to maintain the muscle you already have than to build new muscle. When we lose weight it is a combination of water, fat and muscle. Strength training helps to retain the muscle you already have and your body has built up a lot of muscle mass to move around your extra weight. If you can keep that muscle as you lose weight you're going to look amazing when you've lost the fat that is covering them. I started lifting last year and while I haven't lost a lot of weight, I've lost inches. I'm wearing clothes I could previously only wear when I weighed 10 pounds less than I do now. And on me, 10 pounds is quite a bit.

Since the seat on the airplane doesn't have a built in scale, it seems to me that your goal is really size-based and not scale-based, am I right? Grab a tape measure and start tracking your chest, waist, hips, thighs and any other body part you want to track and start recording them in MFP now. When the scale isn't moving your body might still be shrinking. Also take a photo of yourself in your swimsuit or boxers and keep it for reference.

That's some good advice. I try not to obsess about the number on the scale anymore, but it's hard. I'm down to weighing myself once a week. I used to weigh myself daily. I'm plateauing again. So this morning I switched my workout up. I did several bursts of interval training on the treadmill and I lifted for the first time in a few weeks. I'm going to do legs and back tomorrow, not lift on Wednesday and do just cardio and no work out on Thursday and see what happens... I think I'm just bummed that I gained like 25 lbs since September. I've lost as much as 110 lbs, gained a little back, lost it, gained it again and the yo-yo is never ending...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I've lost 5 in a week before so it's possible. I'm just plateauing the last few weeks and it's aggravating me so I changed up my workout today.

Well tyen, clearly you know better than us, and you don't need our advice.

But, since you did ask for advice, your expectations are too high, especially since you didn't just start the weight loss process (when you see the highest rate if loss).

As others have said, deficit is king; ho we you get there is preference. At one point I loved hiit because I was in and out of the gym. But, I found myself spending more time in the kitchen. So for me, it turns out steady state cardio is better because it is more time not in the house when I don't have self control.

So I know more than everyone in here... really? Please show me where I said that...
    Then perhaps you should listen to all the advice you have gotten. It's not reasonable to expect to lose 5lbs a week. Don't try and change your workouts to try and manipulate the scale; you won't see those changes reflected in an airline seat.

Pick a reasonable calorie goal and select a workout you enjoy. Stick with it for the long term, and let what happens happen.
  • hawks2488
    edited February 2015
    Options
    And I used to swim when I went to the gym. I just got new tattoo last week and now I can't swim for a few weeks--and swimming burns a lot of calories!
  • hawks2488
    Options
    I've lost 5 in a week before so it's possible. I'm just plateauing the last few weeks and it's aggravating me so I changed up my workout today.

But, since you did ask for advice, your expectations are too high, especially since you didn't just start the weight loss process (when you see the highest rate if loss).

As others have said, deficit is king; ho we you get there is preference. At one point I loved hiit because I was in and out of the gym. But, I found myself spending more time in the kitchen. So for me, it turns out steady state cardio is better because it is more time not in the house when I don't have self control.

So I know more than everyone in here... really? Please show me where I said that...
    Then perhaps you should listen to all the advice you have gotten. It's not reasonable to expect to lose 5lbs a week. Don't try and change your workouts to try and manipulate the scale; you won't see those changes reflected in an airline seat.

Pick a reasonable calorie goal and select a workout you enjoy. Stick with it for the long term, and let what happens happen.

I have come to realize that 10 lbs in 2 weeks is not going to happen.. I'm trying to switch my workout up because I'm plateauing. I usually just do the treadmill and the elliptical and I've lost like 5 lbs since the 1st of January..so I think you're supposed to keep your same routine for 6 weeks and then switch up?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I have come to realize that 10 lbs in 2 weeks is not going to happen.. I'm trying to switch my workout up because I'm plateauing. I usually just do the treadmill and the elliptical and I've lost like 5 lbs since the 1st of January..so I think you're supposed to keep your same routine for 6 weeks and then switch up?
    You actually don't have to switch your programing. How long have you been plateauing? Weight loss is not linear and there are periods where you won't lose. The easiest way through them is to have patience, tighten up your logging (making sure you're being accurate), and keeping up the same intensity of your exercise. Also, your calorie goal should be recalculated every 5lbs.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

That's some good advice. I try not to obsess about the number on the scale anymore, but it's hard. I'm down to weighing myself once a week. I used to weigh myself daily. I'm plateauing again. So this morning I switched my workout up. I did several bursts of interval training on the treadmill and I lifted for the first time in a few weeks. I'm going to do legs and back tomorrow, not lift on Wednesday and do just cardio and no work out on Thursday and see what happens... I think I'm just bummed that I gained like 25 lbs since September. I've lost as much as 110 lbs, gained a little back, lost it, gained it again and the yo-yo is never ending...
    I once read an article awhile back that equated weight loss to walking down an up escalator. The moment you stop trying you're going right back up again. It sucks, but it's true. Our bodies want to hold on to the extra weight.

I run and lift on alternate days. I usually take one or two rest days per week, too. Often shaking things up will help with a plateau so kudos for taking the effort to try something new.

Keep in mind, though, that weight loss is all about the calorie deficit. Be especially vigilant with weighing your food and logging everything so you can keep within your calorie goals. You may find that most of the problem lies there rather than your fitness regimen.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yeah the thing is - if you believe that the number on the scale is the most important indicator of health, then you should just do cardio. No lifting. If you would rather go a route that you'll probably be happier with long-term i.e. overall fitness, then you have to be prepared for the scale to act weird. Try measuring yourself instead, I find that when the scale moves then the measuring tape does not and vice versa.

That makes a lot of sense what you said. I used to weigh myself daily and it made me nuts. I'm just worried because I'll be in California and Vegas in 3 weeks. In N Out Burger, Del Taco and Tommys = 4 lbs. LOL

It'll be sunny and warm so get yourself outside and hike it off! And skip the Del Taco and Tommys lol - In N Out all the way!!!

ETA: You keep saying you're plateauing - but you're only plateauing *on the scale*. You may well have shrunk like crazy while your weight stayed the same, you just don't know it.

• hawks2488
    Options

You actually don't have to switch your programing. How long have you been plateauing? Weight loss is not linear and there are periods where you won't lose. The easiest way through them is to have patience, tighten up your logging (making sure you're being accurate), and keeping up the same intensity of your exercise. Also, your calorie goal should be recalculated every 5lbs.

Been plateauing for like 2 weeks now? I'm surprised MFP didn't recalculate my calories that's odd...
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Ok let me ask this. I weigh myself on Friday mornings. Should I not work out on Thursday ? Am I retaining water because I have an intense workout on Thursday ? I admit the ten pound loss is not going to happen. If I could lose 6 in 2 weeks I'll be happy.
    Are you more concerned with fat losses or how water weight manipulates the number on the scale? If the former is true, do not skip your workout. If the latter is true, then skip that workout, go ultra low sodium the day before as well, maybe even go for a 1-2 hour session in a sauna. You will surely see a lower number on the scale.

As far as fat loss is concerned, the caloric deficit is the main factor. 1500 calories is pretty low for a man. How accurate is your calorie counting? Are you weighing 100% of what you eat on a food scale or do you estimate or use things meant for liquids like cups and spoons? Do you take cheat days? How about eating out?

I'm supposed to eat 2000 but I think that's really high. I get full really fast now. I would say I portion 90% of what I eat. I do have a food scale and I use that and I have measuring cups. I don't take cheat days. But I have 3 cheat meals a week. One on Friday after I weigh in, one Saturday and one Sunday. Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday I am good.
    3 cheat meals a week adds way to much variance for my taste. How many calories are these cheat meals? If I ate 3 cheat meals a week I'd never lose a lb because I'd easily out eat my deficit in these three meals. Also measuring cups are only good for measuring liquids. If you are measuring things like cereal, rice, or peanut butter, you could very well be eating a lot more then you think. If it's solid, use the scale, always.
  • hawks2488
    Options

I once read an article awhile back that equated weight loss to walking down an up escalator. The moment you stop trying you're going right back up again. It sucks, but it's true. Our bodies want to hold on to the extra weight.

I run and lift on alternate days. I usually take one or two rest days per week, too. Often shaking things up will help with a plateau so kudos for taking the effort to try something new.

Keep in mind, though, that weight loss is all about the calorie deficit. Be especially vigilant with weighing your food and logging everything so you can keep within your calorie goals. You may find that most of the problem lies there rather than your fitness regimen.

I lifted before when I lost all the weight a few years ago. But I didn't do it every day. I think I did like 2-3 days a week. I really need to watch what I eat though. The formula is simple. Eat less lose more LOL
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I do both. Usually steady state on leg days and HIIT on upper body days. Both have their place.
  • hawks2488
    Options

It'll be sunny and warm so get yourself outside and hike it off! And skip the Del Taco and Tommys lol - In N Out all the way!!!

ETA: You keep saying you're plateauing - but you're only plateauing *on the scale*. You may well have shrunk like crazy while your weight stayed the same, you just don't know it.

In N Out is the first stop off the plane. I get the rental car, pick up my friends in the Valley and it's off to In N Out LOL. We're actually driving to Vegas after I land, so it'll be the In N Out in Barstow for us :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Is interval training better than cardio for weight loss ?

No. And if you're using exercise to create your deficit, it can be worse.

But both types of training (as well as resistance training) confer different physiological benefits, so well rounded fitness requires a bit of all three.

Don't take the "zone" thing as gospel, but this will give you an idea how the body reacts differently to different types of training.

rw_1148659_2219432.jpg
  • hawks2488
    Options

3 cheat meals a week adds way to much variance for my taste. How many calories are these cheat meals? If I ate 3 cheat meals a week I'd never lose a lb because I'd easily out eat my deficit in these three meals. Also measuring cups are only good for measuring liquids. If you are measuring things like cereal, rice, or peanut butter, you could very well be eating a lot more then you think. If it's solid, use the scale, always.

Even when I have my cheat meals, I'm still not going over 2200-2300 calories per day.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    The reason people burn so many calories doing Zumba is that it's interval training in disguise. A class interweaves high energy and recovery routines throughout the class.