Is It Possible To Go From Obese To Dramatic Muscle?

Options
Heyas all! I am new here, so forgive me if this is a silly question! I am currently a 41 year old female, I weight 280 lbs (300 was my highest, I never worked on that 20 lbs, I think i always just toggled between 280 and 300). I am 5'4 tall. I don't think I have ever exercised in 20 years.

Anyway, I am exploring my options. I never *really* was serious about losing weight, until now. I was actually quite content, believe it or not. (Until now).

I am the kind of person who thrives on long term goals, crazy projects and impossible ideas. But I am not sure if this would be even realistic.

I know when I lose all my weight I will have flabs and flabs of skin. I also do not plan on having skin surgery (too expensive) when this is done. So, I am wondering, is it possible (with dedicated work and food intake) can I ever have that nice female muscular body (maybe even a 2 pack of abs)? I know I will have so much skin and well I want to keep my goals on this earth :)

What are your thoughts? Can I redesign my obese body or am I just living in the stars?

And if it IS possible, can you direct me to where I can research more to start this quest? Is food most important? Like, literally from the ground up here, can I just start with situps and work my way up? Should I run? Do I need shakes? etc. I want to do this so badly! Thank you in advance!! :)

Replies

• ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hi there, well done on finding the motivation for this... MFP should help no end! It has me. I'm not really up on the excess skin side of things, but the main advice I will offer re the abs is to eat in calorie deficit. Clearly everyone has abs, it's just that most are covered by a layer of fat.. You could have massive abs, but with even a medium level of body fat percentage they won't show. Situps will help , but only in the long term when you've lost the weight, if you are going to focus on one thing, it's the deficit. I would definitely recommend running. I started my journey 6 months ago, and running was part of that... It's a great way to create a deficit and for me I find running helps my mental state as well... Not that I had an issue, but I feel awesome post run. Also, you don't need shakes, or fad diets or products. You literally can eat whatever types of food you want, you just need to use more calories than you take in (calories in, calories out-CICO)
    Happy if you want to add me if you want to share diaries and other ideas and tips on weight loss, I'm no expert but I'm 40lbs down, and the abs are just starting to show, ( I have a bf% of about 9%' down from 25%+) and have found MFP, dedication, plus running an absolute revelation for me.
    Good luck
  • Elosphere
    Elosphere Posts: 9
    edited February 2015
    Options
    When you say deficit, do you mean less than the number of calories MFP has my goal at? Like, it says I should go for 1400 calories per day. Do you mean like I should go for 1200? That is such great advice (as long as I know what you mean by deficit ) And yes I would love to add you! I don't think I have ever ran in my life, not even as a kid (sadly). That will be a new one for me!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your MFP calorie goal already has the deficit figured in. If it is giving you 1400, then it means that 1400+ however many calories it would take to meet your goal loss per week = how many calories your body needs to function without doing exercise.

One pound of fat is approximately equal to 3500 calories. That means that two pounds is 7000 calories so if your weekly weight loss goal is two pounds, MFP divided that by 7 and subtracted that from your cakorie goal. In other words, if you gave it a two pound goal, your body needs 1400+1000=2400 calories to maintain your current weight without exercising. For that reason, you should eat your full 1400 goal. After all, your body needs a base level of fuel to function.

Then if you exercise, MFP will add back in calories that you should eat (at least 50-75% of them anyway. ) If you are just not hungry one day and eat slightly below goal for a day it is okay, no need to freak out. But you should usually aim to eat the full goal. Same for going over a day--don't freak out. I find it easiest to average it out over a week.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    And as for your title question, check out this thread from the success board.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a good weightlifting program that you start now.

This will help you preserve as much muscle as possibly which will help a little. Even if you just start with baby weight (I did) it will help as long as you progress with weights. Make sure you get a decent amount if calories - this is a marathon not a sprint and a good amount if protein.

Look at

New rules of lifting for women
    Strong lifts 5x5

Or for bodyweigh strength training

You are your own gym
    Convict conditioning.

I would hesitate to advise running straight off, depending in your current fitness this might work - but you risk damaging your joints at your current weight. Only you can know this.

If you do want to run start slow and look at a couch to 5k program.

This post has a lot of good information

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • eangel1023
    eangel1023 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Plenty of people have done what you are asking, so yes its very much possible. First thing is setting up you mind to succeed and have realistic goals. Second is proper nutrition. Forget the shakes and bars and seek out fresh vegetables, lean meats, fish, and nothing deep fat fried. Learn to cook clean. Third is start with walking, body weight exercises, and get a heart rate monitor. Work out in you zone for as long as you can working up to 30 to 50 minute workouts. Keep a journal and love yourself.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I found a lot of info and inspiration on this thread.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

Read any "women who lift" or "lifting heavy" threads for some really motivating stories/photos.