Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No full box today (under the weather and forgot. It was just pepperoni, cheese, crackers, and strawberries.) But I do have these!

iijey8wp6t6n.jpg

I think my heart had cooled a bit too much, hence the slice missing, but the star came out nicely.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @Daiako my hearts do that too sometimes if the yolk is large compared to the white. But those look awesome!
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread. Will keeping checking it for great ideas and pretty bento pictures.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Well, hypoglycemia hit hard (yay, alliteration!) yesterday, so I did not make gumbo or chicken and dumplings - I told my husband that I literally could not stand up long enough to cook either. He was quite sweet and made us pork chops with dirty rice and veggies, with almost no help from me :)

The upside is that since I don't have soup, I made a bento! And I HAD to do a Mardi Gras themed one with the leftover dirty rice, lots of shrimp, and a Dove dark chocolate on a bed of leaves - just to get in the purple, gold, and green colors! It doesn't have as much variety as usual, and there's almost no veggies (just a few peppers and whatnot in the rice), but it'll work for just one day, and it's still healthier than what I usually get at Bayou Bob's on Mardi Gras :p

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!

lcb0yrm5knki.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Hehe shrimp. I giggle every time I see that word. Us Aussies NEVER throw another shrimp on the barbie ;)

With Lent, Mardis Gras and Chinese New year happening, I'm sure there's some weird lunches being made from leftovers right now.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My happiness came today! I think the little ones where happier than me. ^_^
    ff3e47af97ca1510e346cdb2f885aa33.png
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    @HanamiDango That looks awesome! What are the flower-shaped things in the upper right, next to the egg molds?
  • HanamiDango
    Options
    @SnuggleSmacks It is a donut pan. The thing is really small but cute. I can not read Japanese, so I am not sure what oven safe temperature it is.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    @HanamiDango Awesome, you have a clapping march box! I don't know why, but I love the prints on that line of stuff.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    @SnuggleSmacks It is a donut pan. The thing is really small but cute. I can not read Japanese, so I am not sure what oven safe temperature it is.

Can you take a close up picture of the care instructions? My Japanese isn't great, but I should be able to find out that much for you :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Can you take a close up picture of the care instructions? My Japanese isn't great, but I should be able to find out that much for you :)

Was it the same one from the site you linked? If so, it can be baked and frozen per that website.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    @Daiako my hearts do that too sometimes if the yolk is large compared to the white. But those look awesome!

Ah, that's good to know then. Not just me. :)

Finally went shopping. Got some mini shrimp, so that I'm thinking shrimp udon and dumplings for tomorrow.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Was it the same one from the site you linked? If so, it can be baked and frozen per that website.

The website doesn't state to what temperature it's oven safe though. From my experience with silicone cupcake moulds, not all are equal :(
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    Hehe shrimp. I giggle every time I see that word. Us Aussies NEVER throw another shrimp on the barbie ;)

With Lent, Mardis Gras and Chinese New year happening, I'm sure there's some weird lunches being made from leftovers right now.

As a kid, that, Crocodile Dundee and kangaroos were about the extent of what I knew about Australia. Never understood the shrimp/barbie reference, I was glad to find out you call them prawns and tend to not throw them anywhere (thems good eatin').

• SpecialKitty7
    Options
    My amazon box fianally came today, i had ordered some vegetable cutters (to make flowers and such). Amazon lists them as 8pc stainless stell flower shape cake vegetable fruit cutter mold tool. The packaging says Kitchen thing. Not sure which is more descriptive :D
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

The website doesn't state to what temperature it's oven safe though. From my experience with silicone cupcake moulds, not all are equal :(

It does say:

Silicone Small Donut Doughnut Mold - Sakura Flower Shape
    This silicone mold helps you to make small doughnut, sakura flower shapes. This silicone mold can be used to make doughnut shaped ice cubes, chocolates, cakes, brownies, cookies and more. This silicone tray is made from top of the line thick silicone for durability. The mold features a long stem in the middle to create a hole in the middle of your item so you can use the space to decorate or put a yummy item in. The mold is designed to be frozen and baked.

This item includes 1 silicone tray.
    Overall size - 7 x 5.11 inches wide and 0.94 inch deep
    Each sakura shape - 2 inches wide
    Japanese baking tools
    Imported from Japan.
    Made in China
  • mangrothian
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @rainbowbow if it's cheap siliconeware, it might only be oven safe to 120C/250F, or it might be bakeable up to 180/350. Can make a big difference to having goop in the bottom of your oven, which is what I'd be worried about (and have had experience with before :( ).

If it was only to the lower temp, that just means I'd just cook with it in the microwave for ease.
    My amazon box fianally came today, i had ordered some vegetable cutters (to make flowers and such). Amazon lists them as 8pc stainless stell flower shape cake vegetable fruit cutter mold tool. The packaging says Kitchen thing. Not sure which is more descriptive :D

I'm pretty sure 'kitchen thing' is a pretty broad description!
  • HanamiDango
    Options
    @mangrothian My husband is a music teacher, so I love music related items. And it looks like it also has a recipe on the back, I can try taking another photo if need be. It looks bake-able up to 180/350 at least but not 100% sure . I have zero Japanese language skills. c5d27e631da0d88c83b81dd57c6868a3.png

@SpecialKitty7 love the "kitchen thing"
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I have no bento for tomorrow, but here's my Kitchen Thing:
    h3tiet5dk5yu.jpg
  • mangrothian
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's oven safe to at least 180C, since that's what you preheat the oven at for the recipe.

The recipe ingredients are:

100g hot cake mix (this might be pancake mix, which I've seen in a lot of cookpad recipes, but don't know what that mix entails)
    Bowl A:
    - 1/2 an egg
    - 50ml milk
    - 15ml honey

-10g butter (melted, I think - I can't make out the kanji symbol before it)

-Mix the Bowl A ingredients together and then add the hot cake mix
    -Mix in the butter
    -Pour into the 8 moulds and cook for 13 minutes.

I didn't bother translating the last step, but I bet my buttons it's to do with leaving them on a wire rack to cool once cooked ;)

ETA - my Japanese skills are pretty basic, but that's why I take classes for it. Keeps my brain moving outside of work!