Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Replies

• k8mcminn
    k8mcminn Posts: 49 Member
    This has been inspiring. I have been in a real lunch rut so I will give this a try
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member

Thanks! I just ordered this little guy, and a miso ball will be the perfect thing for under his hat.

41wgE82V2AL._SX425_.jpg
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    @SnuggleSmacks It will be very small, just larger than a soda can but you can fit a lot in it. Plus the top tier has a domed lid and you can pile food higher than the height of the container.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    @SnuggleSmacks It will be very small, just larger than a soda can but you can fit a lot in it. Plus the top tier has a domed lid and you can pile food higher than the height of the container.

Yeah, I read the reviews and am prepared for it's size. I have a Lock & Lock box which is pretty small, but I tend to feel very satisfied when eating from it, even though I have to pack smaller portions than I would otherwise eat. I've played with eating dinner from salad plates and other tricks which help with satiety, and I think the small bentos really work.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    following to read more later
  • I just started packing my lunches- or actually food for the entire day. I go to class back to back from 10 am to 10 pm Mondays and 10am to 5pm on Wednesdays. I've been thinking about using bento because I thought it would be easier to carrier and lend itself better to my meals/portions. Does anyone else just make one to carry through the entire day? Breakfast through dinner, snacks included?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    I just started packing my lunches- or actually food for the entire day. I go to class back to back from 10 am to 10 pm Mondays and 10am to 5pm on Wednesdays. I've been thinking about using bento because I thought it would be easier to carrier and lend itself better to my meals/portions. Does anyone else just make one to carry through the entire day? Breakfast through dinner, snacks included?

You'd be hard pressed to find one big enough to keep a day's worth of food. But you might consider packing one with an ice pack for dinner, and packing a separate one for lunch, and then a snack or two. Your biggest challenge will be finding things that are ok outside a fridge for that long. The freezer gel packs only last so long.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    @AsterUchiha I actually pack two bentos, one for lunch and one for snacks. My bentos are all pretty small, my lunch one is somewhat bigger than a soda can, but the new ones I bought are much larger, I could probably put lunch in one half and dinner in the other. Check out my posts above, in one of them my cat is in the picture so you can see relative size (although my cat is huge, so the bento looks kinda tiny).
  • SpecialKitty7

Thanks! I just ordered this little guy, and a miso ball will be the perfect thing for under his hat.

Oh, he's adorable! I was worried that my mad bento skills were not good enough for something that small, you'll have to let us know how it works out.

• Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    baigi9fr5j3c.jpg

Another day, another bento. This one has red wine vinegar chicken, white rice, a slice of ham and some cheese, fresh asparagus, and pickled radishes. All together (not counting the thin mints I also ate...) comes to about 440 calories.

On a side note, i just got my new Monbento! I didn't realize how much larger they are than what i've been playing with, so I'm going to need a new strategy. On the plus side, they should be more than enough for my husband, so i might actually get him to try one!

I know, right? When I first got mine, I was blown away by how big it was. All of the stuff I had been packing before wouldn't fill it up all the way! Now I've gotten a system down, which is filling as much space with meat and veggies first, then putting in my starch last. The bento I packed above has almost a full cup of rice in it, and it only takes up about a third of the container.
  • satansees
    satansees Posts: 42 Member
    I feel like a should've got another lid and band with mine, and then the bf could've used a tier.

My onigiri box is teeny, and there's all that head height I rarely even use! Doubt I'll be using two tiers of monbento anytime soon
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited February 2015
    I just started packing my lunches- or actually food for the entire day. I go to class back to back from 10 am to 10 pm Mondays and 10am to 5pm on Wednesdays. I've been thinking about using bento because I thought it would be easier to carrier and lend itself better to my meals/portions. Does anyone else just make one to carry through the entire day? Breakfast through dinner, snacks included?

I do on Fridays. I have work from 8:30am until 5pm, then classes from 6-9, plus my travel time on top of that. I have a 1.1L two tier container that I use. The top 400ml container is my lunchbox, and the bottom 700ml container is for snacks and dinner. I carry this one in a coolerbag with a coldpack in it along with a piece of fruit or whatnot, and it's more than enough to last me the day.

It also stops me from being tempted to go to the awesome ramen bar that is downstairs from my class when I'm finished for the day.

Every other weekday, my Bento consists of brekky, lunch and snacks. You can see what I've packed in all of my bento photos I've posted (my diary is open to public if you want to see the full caloric values of everything I pack), as well as the sizes of the containers for reference.
  • rtrels
    rtrels Posts: 13
    These are so cute! My kids would love these for school lunches. I know my eldest would love the shaped rice too. Thanks for sharing!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Today's bento:
    Ham
    Cucumber slices
    Soy sauce egg
    Cocoa almonds
    Not pictured: cottage cheese
    mxtbcneu9rlo.jpg
    kyexu2g6rpa9.jpg
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Another box pictured. I am still trying to get into the mind set of making him lunch. This one is left over chicken parmesan, pasta with sauce on bottom and on top is pears, mixed vegetables, and brownie. I need to get smaller cups for the top.
    d3bf4517a67841f22a83afad4f2183d5.png
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    edited February 2015
    I need to get smaller cups for the top.

I just trimmed my cups to the correct height with a pair of scissors. (Tip: fold the cup in half for easier cutting.)
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    edited February 2015
    NEW BENTO!! :3 And today we have leftover steak, veggies, and Mediterranean quinoa in the big tier, with apple chunks and a boiled egg in the little tier!
    nyj0lf1ij108.jpg
    Edit: sorry, it's a little out of focus. And that's a star-shaped egg, but it looks more like a flower....or just a deformed egg :p
  • SpecialKitty7
    Edit: sorry, it's a little out of focus. And that's a star-shaped egg, but it looks more like a flower....or just a deformed egg :p

Ha! The first thing i thought was what shape was the egg mold! I'm glad other eggs end up wonky like mine do sometimes :D

• SnuggleSmacks
    Pork chop, jade pearl rice, steamed veggies, poached pear and tea egg, plus a thermos for miso and chicken dumplings to add to the miso.

10968494_957105354302104_8724118128681411847_n.jpg?oh=3c1d59059d43e3e3f2812a69a2337bba&oe=5564FF20&__gda__=1431499542_326cc220a22cf2778d7259d9b5b73df0
  • SpecialKitty7
    edited February 2015
    finally got my leftover taco night bento! Here's ground chicken w/ sazon seasoning, black beans, shredded cheese, yellow saffron rice & masa crisps with flax.
    fyimbkwt0sxx.jpg