Black Beans

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Do these freeze well? I have a black bean enchilada recipe I want to try and would rather cook up my own beans rather than use a can (even the low sodium are still too high). I figure I may as well cook up a whole pound if I am going to do it, but that is more than I need for the recipe and I want to know if the leftovers can be frozen and not end up as mush when thawed.

ETA: I am the OP and I give permission to derail this thread into recipes.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I think yes. I have not done it in a very long time. Here is a link that looks helpful.
    http://www.kitchentreaty.com/how-to-cook-dried-beans-and-freeze-them-for-later/
  • rand486
    rand486 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a slow cooker/pressure cooker in one, so when I need beans, I can just make them on the spot. Takes 22-25 minutes on the pressure cooker!

Although pre-soak them overnight if you value your friendships ;)
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I freeze them and then just reheat them from frozen when I want them. Works fine. :)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'v never been a fan of beans but I am learning to like them (at least black beans so far) so cooking them is a new thing for me.
  • rand486
    Options
    I've been trying to find a place for beans, lentils & chickpeas in my diet as well. They're filling & fibrous, while a good source of protein! Just can't seem to fit them into a low-calorie solution for the day :(

Perhaps we need to start a second thread? ;)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Soup! I put them all in soups and chilis. That way I get a decent serving of them but the rest of the soup is all pretty low calorie.

I have to admit to trying the black bean brownie recipe http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/02/amazing-flour-less-brownies.html. They are super tasty, but the texture of mine wasn't what I expect from a brownie.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    I've been trying to find a place for beans, lentils & chickpeas in my diet as well. They're filling & fibrous, while a good source of protein! Just can't seem to fit them into a low-calorie solution for the day :(

Or we could derail this thread into recipes and ideas ;)

Here is a stew I made with black beans:

Ancho Chile beef and black beans

1 tbl, Spices - Paprika (I use 2 tsp regular and 1 tsp smoked)
    1 tbl, Spices - Chili powder
    1 tsp, Ground Cumin
    1 tsp, Spices - Oregano, dried
    1 tsp, Spices - Pepper, black
    2 cups, Goya Black Beans Dry (soaked)
    1 large Onions - Raw (chopped)
    8 cloves, Garlic - Raw
    2 whole bay leaves
    2 dried chile, Ancho (or one fresh poblano)
    4 cups, Beef Broth, Low Sodium & Fat Free
    1.50 lb, Beef Roast, Raw and cut into bite size pieces

If using the anchos, remove as many seeds as possible and cut into a couple of large pieces. If using a poblano, seed and dice. Place the cut up meat into a crock pot. Drain and rinse the beans that have been soaking and add to the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for about 8 hours. Remove bay leaves and anchos (leave poblano in if used).

Makes 4 large servings at 460 calories, 60 g carb, 9 g fat, 60g protein, 563mg sodium, 32 g fiber
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I need to start using black beans. I like them, but never bother making them. Every other bean I cook with freezes beautifully, though.
  • rand486
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Makes 4 large servings at 460 calories, 60 g carb, 9 g fat, 60g protein, 563mg sodium, 32 g fiber

:-O

Those macros... Madam, I am forever in your debt! Thank you!

I might add some carrots & sweet potato just to add some nutrition, but this looks amazing!
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yes I love cooking a big batch of beans (usually 1lb at a time) and freezing them, usually in 1 cup portions. That's enough for either a side for the two of us or I pull down more if I'm doing a vegetarian/bean dish.

My routine for black beans (and most beans really) are soak them overnight, then rinse and toss in the crockpot the next morning, put them on low and go about my day. By night they are tender and ready to go. I tend to ignore them so they end up being very soft, which is what I like, but if you prefer firmer texture you'd just need to taste them after a while and see how they're going.

You can season them in the crockpot but I don't bother. I figure I'm going to end up seasoning them when I use them anyway and it takes a lot of seasoning to get flavor in that big crockpot.

I much prefer crockpot over traditional stovetop cooking...I can cook beans on the stovetop but it takes time and I hate trying to keep a simmer with an electric range. Makes me miss my gas range so much haha.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I pressure cook big batches and freeze them all the time - I usually have chickpeas and black, pinto, and kidney beans in the freezer at any given time. I dry them well, then just freeze in a large ziploc bag. They don't clump that way.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Highjack!

4 Ingredients Edit Recipe

1.00 container (3 cups ea.), Whole Peeled Tomatoes (In Can)
    14.00 oz, Ham Steak
    1.00 container (8 cup cookeds ea.), 15 Bean Soup
    8.00 Cup, Low Sodium Chicken Stock

soak beans overnight
    crush tomatoes and add
    cube ham steak, add
    add chicken stock

The 15 bean soup bag of beans comes with a flavor packet. I don't use it because it is too salty. I like to throw the ham in instead. You could also use a smoked turkey leg in place of ham.

I also generally add celery, onoins and carrots to this, but they weren't in my saved recipe.

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 8.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 321
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g 1 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 12 mg 4 %
    Sodium 633 mg 26 %
    Potassium 940 mg 27 %
    Total Carbohydrate 46 g 15 %
    Dietary Fiber 20 g 78 %
    Sugars 6 g
    Protein 27 g 54 %
    Vitamin A 8 %
    Vitamin C 8 %
    Calcium 10 %
    Iron 30 %

* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.
  • rand486
    Options
    lynndot1 wrote: »
    You can season them in the crockpot but I don't bother. I figure I'm going to end up seasoning them when I use them anyway and it takes a lot of seasoning to get flavor in that big crockpot.

I much prefer crockpot over traditional stovetop cooking...I can cook beans on the stovetop but it takes time and I hate trying to keep a simmer with an electric range. Makes me miss my gas range so much haha.

FYI, there are actual dangers to cooking certain types of beans at a low heat. Slow cookers are not a safe way of cooking beans.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/CausesOfIllnessBadBugBook/ucm071092.htm
  • namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I LOVE to cropck pot giant batches of beans and freeze! My favorite to do with black beans is use in a Mexican casserole (hot for winter - cold for summer) with chicken breast and other veggies. I can't derail with recipes because I tend to make up as I go but both options invariably include cheese and salsa.

I will also offer up that I freeze mine portioned out in the Ziploc Perfect Portions bags and place those inside a giant freezer bag so they are all together and I can see at a glance when I might need to make more! Before I did that I was burned so many times by thinking I had some ready when I didn't. :(
  • Papatoad194
    Papatoad194 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I also make huge batches of crockpot beans (black and pinto--which I mash for "refried" beans). I freeze them in 1 lb cottage cheese containers. I rarely ever buy cans of black or refried beans. Less sodium and they taste sooooooo much better!
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options

I pretty much ALWAYS have a big pot of a bean or lentil soup in the fridge, and the calorie count on a cup is relatively low in calories, especially when I water-saute the veggies that will be in the soup. Add all kinds of favourite spices and herbs, and yum!! <3

Making a red lentil soup right now. ;)

Oh and I adore black beans, and the odd time I freeze a soup with them, they freeze just dandy!

• earlnabby
    Options

:-O

Those macros... Madam, I am forever in your debt! Thank you!

I might add some carrots & sweet potato just to add some nutrition, but this looks amazing!

It is a very tasty protein and fiber bomb. Lately I have been adding turnips to my stews. You get similar texture to potatoes but much fewer carbs.

• rand486
    Options
    It is a very tasty protein and fiber bomb. Lately I have been adding turnips to my stews. You get similar texture to potatoes but much fewer carbs.

I honestly don't know if I've ever cooked with turnips... my goodness, I'm all about the revelations today! :P

Thanks again!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options

Or we could derail this thread into recipes and ideas ;)

Here is a stew I made with black beans:

Ancho Chile beef and black beans

1 tbl, Spices - Paprika (I use 2 tsp regular and 1 tsp smoked)
    1 tbl, Spices - Chili powder
    1 tsp, Ground Cumin
    1 tsp, Spices - Oregano, dried
    1 tsp, Spices - Pepper, black
    2 cups, Goya Black Beans Dry (soaked)
    1 large Onions - Raw (chopped)
    8 cloves, Garlic - Raw
    2 whole bay leaves
    2 dried chile, Ancho (or one fresh poblano)
    4 cups, Beef Broth, Low Sodium & Fat Free
    1.50 lb, Beef Roast, Raw and cut into bite size pieces

If using the anchos, remove as many seeds as possible and cut into a couple of large pieces. If using a poblano, seed and dice. Place the cut up meat into a crock pot. Drain and rinse the beans that have been soaking and add to the pot. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for about 8 hours. Remove bay leaves and anchos (leave poblano in if used).

This looks fabulous!