Not losing

Options
Hi guys

So I've been using this for about a week now but dieting for about a month and hitting the gym 7 days a week. And not lost a pound! :( my clothes feel a little looser but I'm really demotivated the scales haven't budged why?! It's really disheartening when I'm trying so hard.

I've even changed my workout and started doing classes too to shock the body so it doesn't get used to it.

Any ideas?
Claire :) x

Replies

• bs240z
    bs240z Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    you may be gaining muscle as you loose weight. keep at it. you'll get results.
  • bunnies26
    bunnies26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Clothes are looser? That's awesome!!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    bs240z wrote: »

Unless she is lifting weights for the first time, that is not happening.

OP, what are your stats (age/height/weight/goal weight)? How do you measure your intake and exercise burns? Do you eat back part/all of your exercise calories? And can you open your food diary?
  • saradas
    saradas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? A trainer once told me , not drinking water could do this to you.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Yeah you wont be packing on muscle that quickly BUT your body will hold onto water as muscle is repaired. The body will balance out soon enough and you'll have a 'whoosh' day where all of a sudden 2 or 3 pounds will just drop off.
    Happens to me all the time, don't panic at all. Very normal not to see anything for weeks on end. Good things will happen.
  • clsxplor
    clsxplor Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are using a Weight Watcher brand scale, it won't show any movement until your weight changes at least 2 pounds.....I found this out the hard way...try holding something heavy and getting on your scale. Then get off, put down the item, and weigh just yourself.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    bs240z wrote: »

unlikely.

OP are you weighing everything you eat?

• TinaGA2015
    TinaGA2015 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Claire, the same thing is happening to me. 4 weeks in, working out 5 or six days a week, and not even one pound lost! I am going to see a Nutritional Coach Friday. I'm fed up
  • trailrunner81
    trailrunner81 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    One month with no change in weight is interesting. I would recoment keeping with the exercise program, and log every single crumb of food that goes into your mouth. That is waht worked for me. Also make sure you are drinking lots of water.
  • JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    Options
    One month isnt enough time to really see a difference. During the 1st month you will lose a lot of water weight... Also, please realize that there are different types of fat within the body... the fat under the skin and the fat which surrounds the organs...

Also you may be gaiing muscle and losing fat simultaneaously... I am a firm believer that a scale is NOT a measure of health or fitness... Many body builders are HUGE and absoltuely unhealthy... similarly you can be skinny and diabetic...

I advise you to drop the scale and look more at how your body looks, feels and performs...

Remember to keep your carbs LOW and please dont listen to folks who believe that a Calorie is a calorie... and that you can eat pizza so long as it fits in your caloric allowance... Eat clean.. train hard and hard work will pay off...

"Fitness is a lifestyle not a diet"
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Most people issues with this come down to one thing not weighing and measuring your food accurately. You need to weigh all solids measure all liquids and pick accurate entries off the database. Have a look at this thread

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I would also save some money anyone can call them self a nutritional coach so I would be questioning relevant experience and reputable qualifications not just some random qualification that no ones ever heard of
    TinaGA2015 wrote: »
    Claire, the same thing is happening to me. 4 weeks in, working out 5 or six days a week, and not even one pound lost! I am going to see a Nutritional Coach Friday. I'm fed up

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    please dont listen to folks who believe that a Calorie is a calorie... and that you can eat pizza so long as it fits in your caloric allowance...

A calorie is a calorie. You can eat pizza if it fits in your calorie allowance.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    One month isnt enough time to really see a difference. During the 1st month you will lose a lot of water weight... Also, please realize that there are different types of fat within the body... the fat under the skin and the fat which surrounds the organs...

Also you may be gaiing muscle and losing fat simultaneaously... I am a firm believer that a scale is NOT a measure of health or fitness... Many body builders are HUGE and absoltuely unhealthy... similarly you can be skinny and diabetic...

I advise you to drop the scale and look more at how your body looks, feels and performs...

Remember to keep your carbs LOW and please dont listen to folks who believe that a Calorie is a calorie... and that you can eat pizza so long as it fits in your caloric allowance... Eat clean.. train hard and hard work will pay off...

"Fitness is a lifestyle not a diet"

Why should she drop carbs unless she has a medical need to? And what is wrong with the occasional pizza? I have it almost every week and it doesn't hinder my loss--I just make sure to hit my macros throughout the day.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    One month isnt enough time to really see a difference.

I am a firm believer that a scale is NOT a measure of health or fitness...

That is the only bit of sense in this whole post.......
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    To a point "a calorie is a calorie" is correct but the closer you get to your target weight (or if you don't have much to lose it the first place), IIFYM doesn't always mean ANYTHING that fits your macros.

to the OP, its probably that your macro targets aren't right for you...go a week, make a change, check results (rinse, repeat). Sometimes moving calories out of carb into protein or out of fat and into carb, etc. will help. Different people metabolize differently so what is "suggested" may not work exactly for you that it does for everyone else.
  • joepratt503
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    Most people issues with this come down to one thing not weighing and measuring your food accurately.

This too...1000% this.
  • emmyschh
    emmyschh Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Use the mirror as your judge, not the scale. Scales can be deceiving & the numbers can make it seem like you're not losing weight. There's a difference between losing FAT and losing WEIGHT. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you can lose body fat, but still remain the same. If you're building lots of muscle, chances are you may even weigh MORE than when you started, depending on how drastic the differences are. If your clothes are fitting looser, you look better in the mirror, and (most importantly) you FEEL better, then you're doing everything right.
  • joepratt503
    Options
    emmyschh wrote: »
    If you're building lots of muscle, chances are you may even weigh MORE than when you started, depending on how drastic the differences are.

you will not outpace your weight loss with lean muscle add unless you are doing something really wrong....particularly in the short term outside of very special circumstances (and in those circumstances, the disparity will correct itself relatively quickly).

If the goal is hard weight loss, you gotta have the scale and live by both weighing yourself AND your food. If the goal is to be more active, higher energy, sleep better, feel better...then the scales are less important than the feel (as Emmyschh is suggesting).

My opinion only, of course.
  • mizzmarble
    mizzmarble Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Hi guys

sorry for the late reply... thanks for all your responses.... I drink about 8- 9 glasses of water a day and eat regualry to keep my metabolism up. I don't really eat many carbs (ie. bread). My daily diet tends to consist of things like....

Porridge for breakfast (made with water not milk) and green tea
    200grams of strawberries and 0% fat yoghurt for a mid morning snack
    rice crackers and cottage cheese (reduced fat) for lunch and some celery or carrot sticks
    15grams of melon for a mid afternoon snack
    for tea I would have something along the lines veg, salmon and a few boiled potatos
    or a ham and tomato omlette made with skimmed milk.

I weigh everything I eat too so I know the exact calories for them using my diary on here.

plus the gym 7 days a week! mixture of weights and cardio. Most times at the gym on cardio alone I burn a minimum of 700 - 800 cals....plus then weights too......its just doesn't make sense! surely it should be dropping off?!

I do feel more toned and clothes are looser like i say, I just want to see the scale change... arghhhh... what else can I do??? :(

Claire :)