And the quote of the century is...

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You've been given the advice to go to the doctor. Considering that you appear to be a biological anomaly, that's about as helpful as you can hope for at this point. Talking to a therapist about your obsession with how many calories women eat is another potentially helpful suggestion.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I read posts on here all the time from women who are shorter than me who weigh similar who eat a lot more than I do and lose. It's annoying lol But not to the point that I stress and worry about it :smile: we are different people, different activity levels etc etc etc
    It is what it is, I am me they are them. Move on and concentrate on you and your goals.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Meh, I guess I'll wait to post again until I'm bulking or trying to lose the last 2lbs to get abs. Those are really the only circumstances anyone is actually helpful.
    Actually, people here ARE helpful... when the OP isn't just a bunch of whining. You didn't even ASK a question. You whined. And continue to whine. And when people DO offer the typical advice - suggesting cleaning up the logging, recalculating maintenance estimates, taking breaks, etc - you ignore the advice. Just like that one guy whose logging truly WAS terrible and he never listened to the multiple people telling him to clean it up, and would post regularly about plateauing and wanting to go on a 1200 calorie diet.

You are still adding "extra" to your servings. You are not eating consistently all the time (1400 one day, 3200 another, 600-some another day). For all I know you are using generic recipes sometimes or using incorrect entries; I've not bothered to look more closely at those two possibilities.

So eat to your goal within 100 calories every day, don't "add" more to your servings i.e. only log what you actually eat, if you exercise then eat back at least half of the calories unless you are doing TDEE (in which case, only do TDEE if you are consistent with your exercise),make sure you are using correct entries (e.g. cooked entry if you weighed it cooked) and only use USDA entries for produce, double check any name-brand entries against your own boxes, and weigh regularly. If after 1-2 months NOTHING has changed - same weight, same measurements, clothes are the same - then either take a diet break and try to find your maintenance calories (add 100 every week until you start gaining a bit of weight and then once that happens, eat that number for a month) or go to the doctor.

And stop posting on the forums if all you're going to do is whine and complain.
  • ana3067
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

LOL. you're fantastic.
  • ana3067
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    So at 100lbs less than me she has more muscle mass than I do? LOL How is that possible. Even at 30% body fat my muscle mass would be more than her entire body weight.
    And do you know your body fat percentage to be 30% for certain? I tried to help, but it does seem to me like you just want to complain rather than learn. Self-pity won't help you lose more weight. Taking charge of your life will.

I don't have an accurate way to know my body fat percentage. My scale says between 26 and 29%. It seems to vary based on how many carbs I eat honestly. I'm guessing due to the fluctuations with water weight, etc.

Then you could easily be 40% BF. Those scales are not accurate.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    BMR formulas (and by extension, TDEE) are just equations of lines fitted to data points. Roughly half of the data is going to be above the line (higher than calculated) and roughly half below the line (lower than calculated). It might be unfair but it's completely logical. We don't see very many people complaining on this board that they are losing faster than MFP calculates, but those high burning people must exist. Maybe they complain over on Gaining Weight that they need to eat more than MFP says.

And I second ana3067 on this person's actual activity. What she calls "sedentary" someone else may call "active". I assumed I was sedentary--I drive to the train, ride the train to work, sit at my desk, ride the train back and drive to my own driveway, and watch tv every night. I don't work out at all. Then I got a pedometer and found out I was walking 7 km a day between the parking lot and the train, between the train and my workplace, puttering around the office, and running errands at lunch, just my ordinary activities of living. Then I increased it by taking the long way, taking the stairs, and being less efficient in my errands so that I have someplace I need to go every day. I'm walking 11 km a day and burning 2000 calories. If I did any "real exercise" it would be even more. To the casual observer I'm a driving, riding, desk-sitting couch potato whose biggest leisure activity is knitting.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    So at 100lbs less than me she has more muscle mass than I do? LOL How is that possible. Even at 30% body fat my muscle mass would be more than her entire body weight.
    And do you know your body fat percentage to be 30% for certain? I tried to help, but it does seem to me like you just want to complain rather than learn. Self-pity won't help you lose more weight. Taking charge of your life will.

I don't have an accurate way to know my body fat percentage. My scale says between 26 and 29%. It seems to vary based on how many carbs I eat honestly. I'm guessing due to the fluctuations with water weight, etc.
    Yes you do. Go to a doctor or a certified nutritionist/fitness trainer. They can accurately measure your body fat percentage. STOP GUESSING.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    SSS - Special Snowflake Syndrome
    - Just do what you need to do, it's that simple
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    First step, admit this is your problem, not hers. Comparing your self to someone else is not going to get you where you want to be. Asking for advice then questioning every response is not going to help you.

Her weight loss journey is not your weight loss journey. She probably has a high metabolism and most likely is busting ars at every workout. She may overestimate her food intake to ensure she isn't going over her goals. She may be eating quality foods and watching all of her macros. She may have found the combination of carbs/fats/proteins that works for her body and her lifestyle. And, yes, 25 minutes on an elliptical is 400 calories a week...1600 a month. Not to mention it is a huge metabolism booster.

Concentrate on what you can do to change your plateau not what someone else is doing. Maybe you can find a good nutritionist/personal trainer. A good one is worth every penny and I guarantee, they will figure out what you need to do to get yourself on the track you want to be.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Might be time to spring for a BodPod reading to get an accurate number.

Also, if I'm reading this right your biggest issues seems to be that other people have an easier time losing fat that you do, right? Welcome to the club, sister. My middle brother was an all-state soccer player in high school and now in our 40s he could wear the same clothes he wore then. I could not.

For some of us it requires more effort. You've received some good advice here (eat at maintenance for a few weeks, then start at a slight deficit again. If you've lost over 100 lbs your body and metabolism are vastly different than they were. Time to start figuring them out again and determining what works NOW, since what worked before isn't getting it done any more.

You had your pity party, now it's over. Time to get back to it and fight towards your goals.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - haven't other posters suggest you get your blood work done and check for a potential thyroid issue? Have you done that yet?
    -
    Also, I would suggest reverse dieting to maintenance level stay there for about a month, and then cut back down to a 500 calorie deficit....

You could have metabolic adaptation/adaptive thermogenesis which has reset your maintenance and deficit number to a lower number....
  • ana3067
    Options
    Abby2205 wrote: »
    BMR formulas (and by extension, TDEE) are just equations of lines fitted to data points. Roughly half of the data is going to be above the line (higher than calculated) and roughly half below the line (lower than calculated). It might be unfair but it's completely logical. We don't see very many people complaining on this board that they are losing faster than MFP calculates, but those high burning people must exist. Maybe they complain over on Gaining Weight that they need to eat more than MFP says.

And I second ana3067 on this person's actual activity. What she calls "sedentary" someone else may call "active". I assumed I was sedentary--I drive to the train, ride the train to work, sit at my desk, ride the train back and drive to my own driveway, and watch tv every night. I don't work out at all. Then I got a pedometer and found out I was walking 7 km a day between the parking lot and the train, between the train and my workplace, puttering around the office, and running errands at lunch, just my ordinary activities of living. Then I increased it by taking the long way, taking the stairs, and being less efficient in my errands so that I have someplace I need to go every day. I'm walking 11 km a day and burning 2000 calories. If I did any "real exercise" it would be even more. To the casual observer I'm a driving, riding, desk-sitting couch potato whose biggest leisure activity is knitting.

I have a cheap little step counter thing from christmas, I should give that thing a go just to see how much I walk around on average :p
  • ana3067
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »

Might be time to spring for a BodPod reading to get an accurate number.

Also, if I'm reading this right your biggest issues seems to be that other people have an easier time losing fat that you do, right? Welcome to the club, sister. My middle brother was an all-state soccer player in high school and now in our 40s he could wear the same clothes he wore then. I could not.

For some of us it requires more effort. You've received some good advice here (eat at maintenance for a few weeks, then start at a slight deficit again. If you've lost over 100 lbs your body and metabolism are vastly different than they were. Time to start figuring them out again and determining what works NOW, since what worked before isn't getting it done any more.

You had your pity party, now it's over. Time to get back to it and fight towards your goals.
    He's been having a pity party on the boards for months now. Same shite, different day.
  • ana3067
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - haven't other posters suggest you get your blood work done and check for a potential thyroid issue? Have you done that yet?
    -
    Also, I would suggest reverse dieting to maintenance level stay there for about a month, and then cut back down to a 500 calorie deficit....

You could have metabolic adaptation/adaptive thermogenesis which has reset your maintenance and deficit number to a lower number....

Yup. Solid advice IMO. I'm thinking I'll do a reverse diet once I'm consistently down to 150 or 155 for a few weeks, just to see if I can increase my intake even more. Been at this for 8 months or so, and have taken breaks but have yet to reverse diet to try and find my true current maintenance.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    -

Yup. Solid advice IMO. I'm thinking I'll do a reverse diet once I'm consistently down to 150 or 155 for a few weeks, just to see if I can increase my intake even more. Been at this for 8 months or so, and have taken breaks but have yet to reverse diet to try and find my true current maintenance.
    I've already done the reverse diet up to 2700 then slashed my calories back down. It didn't seem to have a huge effect. I gained weight like I expected but it all came off almost immediately when I reduced calories. Several pounds over a few days.
    And that's not a huge effect??