I CAN'T DO THIS!

Options
I am seriously going nuts here. In order to lose the weight that I want, I've been told that I need to cut out all carbs. This is the HARDEST thing for me because I love carbs! Bread, pasta, cake, cookies, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! If I don't eat carbs with every meal I seriously get irritable. Sometimes I will be on the verge of tears. I am a full on carb addict! What can I do to get over this? How can I motivate myself to keep going? I've lost 15 pounds and need to lose 20 more but I feel it's impossible. I feel hopeless. I will be good one day but then go crazy on the weekends. I can't control myself and often feel ugly and fat. Anyone relate?

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I do better cutting those foods out, but a lot of people don't have to do that at all. Who told you that you have to cut out all carbs? If it wasn't a doctor you can certainly try other methods, like the usual advice on portion control and weighing and measuring and tracking all food that you eat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You do realize there are carbs in vegetables, fruits...etc? So if you are told to cut out all carbs, I suppose you will be on an all meat diet?

If someone told you to cut out all carbs, they don't know what they are talking about and you should get a second opinion.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut out carbs or any other food group to lose weight.

Reasonable calorie deficit
    Patience
    Log your food
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I tried to cut out carbs once. I was so B!tchy my hubby threw a cookie at me and told me to eat it! You need carbs in a healthy diet. Figure out your TDEE (google it). Subtract 15% for weight loss, and then log everything faithfully using a food scale. You can get a food scale for $15-$20. There is no need to cut out carbs.
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cut out carbs or any other food group to lose weight.

Reasonable calorie deficit
    Patience
    Log your food

^^^ This.

There is no specific food that makes you fat. Some food have more calories than others, so you have to work those into your calorie goals, but there are no magical fat-burning or fat-gaining foods.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Who told you to do that? I live in Italy---carb heaven, and it's all portion control. Watch your carb allowance on your food diary and try to stay within it, while hitting your calorie goal. Don't get frustrated and hangry---eat your carbs. :)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Give it time! How long have you been trying to do this? It takes dedication and practice, and, yes, it's not for everyone. But, once you really give it a good, honest shot, the benefits can be well worth it! For me personally, going low carb was the best thing I ever did for my health. I once thought the same way you did, but now I can honestly say I don't miss those carbs at all. I get plenty in my vegetables.
  • jchenks
    jchenks Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    You do realize there are carbs in vegetables, fruits...etc? So if you are told to cut out all carbs, I suppose you will be on an all meat diet?

If someone told you to cut out all carbs, they don't know what they are talking about and you should get a second opinion.

This.

OP who told you to cut all carbs? Is it the chunky lady you work with eating her salad that is smothered in fattening dressing?

• Papatoad194
    Papatoad194 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Lets start this again. What do you want to accomplish. Are you male or female, how tall are you, what do you weigh? What is your ultimate lifestyle goal?
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have to limit the carbs I eat for medical reasons - but I find that lower carbs = less hunger and more satisfaction with my meals. My current limits are maximum 30 carbs per meal and total 90 per day ... so I usually aim for 20 - 25 per meal or snack. (I started with max. 20 per meal / 60 per day - both of these levels approved by my doctor and my nutritionist.)

I was a complete carb addict, but improving my health has given me the motivation to stick with this plan. If you can make it through two weeks, it does get easier as you adapt to it.

I deal with temptation by getting up and doing some exercise instead. But my serious moments of temptation are few and far between now.

73739389.png
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    find awesome alternatives...it might sound lame now, but you'll soon realize that you don't mind zuccini noodles, and broccoli slaw. I make an awesome portebello mushroom pizza, and instead of using bread, use romaine lettuce for wraps. Pinterest is a great website for recipes, go on the Health and Fitness board, there's tons of ideas.
  • doobzflo
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! And yes, thanks for pointing out that I did not state the advice I got correctly. I meant complex carbs - the bad ones like cookies, pasta, bread... all the things I love. I pretty much can't have anything refined/processed. I've been told sugar and bread are the devil. The reason for this is that I have PCOS, which has made weight loss much more difficult.

I am currently 148 and would like to be 130. I carry most of the fat on my tummy as most women with PCOS do.

I've been told to calorie count, weigh my food, but it seems so tedious. What I really need a lesson in is self-control!! How do I accomplish this?
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I thought I was like that but have found that eating more protein helps to balance to lower carb intake and counter the mood swings. Also, everything you mention has gluten in it: is that a coincidence? You could perhaps try eating brown rice (the parboiled 10 minute option keeps preparation time down), bananas, aubergine - they have fibre and bulk and that seems to help me.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    doobzflo wrote: »

I've been told to calorie count, weigh my food, but it seems so tedious. What I really need a lesson in is self-control!! How do I accomplish this?

You answered your own question. Now you have to make a choice on how committed you want to be.

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    do, or do not, there is no try
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! And yes, thanks for pointing out that I did not state the advice I got correctly. I meant complex carbs - the bad ones like cookies, pasta, bread... all the things I love. I pretty much can't have anything refined/processed. I've been told sugar and bread are the devil. The reason for this is that I have PCOS, which has made weight loss much more difficult.

I am currently 148 and would like to be 130. I carry most of the fat on my tummy as most women with PCOS do.

I have PCOS and I've lost weight still eating all those things. If I were you I'd just have smaller amounts of those things. There are no 'bad' carbs or 'good' carbs. Carbs are carbs. Calories still matter more than macros for PCOS women, so make sure you're in a deficit and counting calories correctly.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've heard many women with PCOS say the same when it comes to avoiding carbs.

I've done low carb meal plans in the past (not sustainable with my lifestyle, unfortunately) and one thing I've always liked about them is that after the first few days I no longer feel like I need carbs; the cravings go away. I start eating different types of snacks and it's a lot easier for me to lose weight because I have no trouble resisting sweets and temptations. Give it a few weeks and I'm betting you find that it's the same for you. It's actually very liberating for something with a huge sweet tooth.
  • doobzflo
    Options

You answered your own question. Now you have to make a choice on how committed you want to be.

What makes it even harder is that I am pre-diabetic due to the pcos. So I have to eat low-glycemic foods as well. AND need to limit my dairy intake. So on my "stay away" list is now bread, grains, brown rice, white rice, dairy, pasta, large amounts of fruit. I just don't know what options I have any more. AND on top of all this, I don't eat meat. I've never liked it and choose not to for moral reasons.

What options are left??!?!
  • doobzflo
    Options
    However, I know that even with limited options, it is still possible. I just need to find the will power. Any ideas?
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I promise it does get better. It's like exercising for the first time, you know it's going to hurt but it will get better. Arm yourself with lots of good recipes and think of different plans of action. When they were testing me for PCOS, they told me to look into diabetic recipes, they have low glycemic index foods in them. There's also a chart you can print out that shows you the glycemic index of each food. Brown rice, whole grains, your own baking with almond flour or whole wheat flour really helps.