How long after waking up do you have before eating breakfast?

Options

Replies

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat within about five or ten minutes, but it's not something I've thought through so much as it's just the way my schedule works out.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until around lunch time. Losing weight just fine because I'm staying within my calories. I also eat ice cream every night right before bed.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I usually eat on the weekdays around 5:15-5:30am. This is generally after a 45-60 minute workout in the mornings.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    When I wake up, I walk over to the coffee pot and grab my eggs/toast or meal of choice immediately. I am eating within 10 mins virtually every morning.
    I just need to...do not function well without breakfast.
    Everyone is different obviously.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Who is "they"?

Anyone who trains diabetics on nutrition.

The findings of the National Weight Control registry. Though the reason is not known (may be correlation rather than causation. People who routinely eat breakfast may be controlling other eating habits). http://www.nwcr.ws/

A review of 47 studies comes out positive for breakfast eaters.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002822305001513
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JDthe3rd wrote: »
    They say eating breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, but how long after waking up is considered a "healthy" amount of time to eat that first meal?

As others have said, "they" don't know what they are talking about, your metabolism is running.

That said, I'm a breakfast person, but it depends. If I run or do some other workout before eating, it might be a couple of hours, and that's common on the weekends too (I always get up early, though, so it's still pretty early). If I am rushing to get out of the house before 6, it will likely be within half an hour of getting up.

• Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    JDthe3rd wrote: »
    They say eating breakfast kick-starts your metabolism, but how long after waking up is considered a "healthy" amount of time to eat that first meal?

Idk how other ppl do it or how it is right, but personaly I wake up,drink coffee go to the bathroom, workout 1 hour and after approx 30-60 min eat. I feel that it is working out for me just great but for someone else something else might work.
  • James1935
    James1935 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have my first meal around noon and don't eat after 8 or 9...works for me.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I wake up around 9am, and I don't usually eat my first meal until 4pm. Sometimes if I am feeling extra peckish I'll eat a snack around 2pm.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel a little nauseous if I eat breakfast too soon after waking up. I like to be up and moving around a little before eating.

That being said, on weekdays, I get to work early and just make my breakfast there, or bring something with me to eat when I get to work. So around 7:30am or so.

On the weekends, I just eat whenever I start to feel hungry.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 9:00 am; I eat lunch at 3:30 or 4:00 pm.
    Then a second meal around 7 or 8:00 pm (no snacking-- because snacking makes me hungrier).
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I also go a longer time before breaking my fast and have my first meal in the late afternoon/early evening. Eating breakfast soon after waking can have benefits depending on your preferences - if you are hungry and have a wholesome breakfast, it can prevent overeating later in the day. It also can prevent sluggishness first thing in your day and help provide a routine. If you want to eat breakfast and think it will be helpful, do it. As long as you get your daily calorie allotment throughout the day, the timing isn't very important weight-loss wise, just "is this livable?"-wise.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference, find what works best for you. As others have said your metabolism doesn't need a kick start it's always working.

For me, I wake up by 3 am every day, and usually have my first meal around 1 or 2 pm. It works perfectly for me. If I eat earlier in the day, I want to eat everything all day long
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Breakfast has never been my thing. I don't even wake up feeling hungry at all so when I've tried timed-meal diets I just felt stressed out and it caused me to gain or simply not lose any weight. So I'm done with all that. I do have a latte (made with almond milk) every morning so I guess that's my breakfast and I have it like a half hour after I've woken up.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Probably 3 1/2 hrs after I wake up.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I’m also on team “No Breakfast”. I like to savour a nice big black coffee every morning, and only eat around 1-2:00 pm, when I’m really feeling the hunger. It works much better for me, as I find I’m hungry at night rather than in the mornings. I thus shift my eating till later in the day.

Also, breakfast is a dangerous meal, as most “breakfast foods” are not that great nutritionally. Even a bowl of oatmeal doesn’t do much for me. I like greek yogurt / meat / eggs myself. I’m a protein girl :smile: .
  • eshults89
    eshults89 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I jog my dogs as soon as I get up (445), so probably 90 minutes after I wake up (around 615)! There have been lots of interesting studies done about running on an empty stomach (some say its better for your metabolism, other people say not). I run marathons, so I have been trained to do this. My mom can't do it-she feels too hungry. Food for thought :wink:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Also, breakfast is a dangerous meal, as most “breakfast foods” are not that great nutritionally.

Depends what you are eating for breakfast...
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Also, breakfast is a dangerous meal, as most “breakfast foods” are not that great nutritionally.

Depends what you are eating for breakfast...

I was thinking of the traditional North American breakfasts like cereal or bread with nutella. For someone who is trying to get a lot of bang for my calories, those things might be tasty but aren’t what I want on a daily basis as a meal.

If you’re eating an egg-white omelette with smoked salmon and half an avocado, that’s a different story (obviously).
  • Annanna91
    Annanna91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    At the risk of being judged or ridiculed, I usually have my breakfast around 15mins after waking up. Non of this waiting for hours or skipping malarkey!!