breakfast

Options

Replies

• abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add my other option, which is a smoothie containing 2 scoops vegan protein powder, 1-2 cups of spinach, 1 banana and 1 cup almond milk no sugar added. It's delicious.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yogurt with granola
    Yogurt with honey and some walnuts
    Yogurt with fruit
    Oatmeal, (warm or overnight)
    Scrambled eggs
    Protein shake
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup yogurt with wheat bran and ground flaxseed topped off with a huge mound of fruit (today was mango, asian pear and blueberries), plus an egg with a slice of whole wheat bread and a bit of nut butter or honey or jam. Plus a cuppa T. About 450-500 calories.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My two favorites (I'm also on 1200 calories/day):

Large coffee (2 cups) with 2 tbs of FF Coffemate, Dannon Light and Fit Greek Blueberry yogurt. 130 calories.

Large coffee (2 cups) with 2 tbs of FF Coffemate, egg white sandwich (1/2 c. egg white on an Arnold's Sandwich Thin with ketchup or hot sauce. 230 calories.

I also always have some fresh fruit mid-morning. About 100 calories.

For me, some protein in the morning goes a long way toward keeping the hunger pangs at bay until lunch.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1400, so I aim to have 700 for breakfast. (Don't always make it.)

This morning I had 682 cal (which would be within reason for your 1200 goal, though a little high; you could drop 1 of the eggs & make it 612).
    3 eggs, 1 oz red pepper, 1-2 oz onion, 1 oz broccoli, 1 oz spinach, 3 slices bacon, 0.25 cup shredded cheddar cheese, 2 T ranch dressing, 1 cup orange juice.

Yesterday I had my more usual breakfast, which is 455 cal.
    1 cup skim milk, 1 slice whole wheat bread, 2 T peanut butter, 6" banana.
    Often I'll add some yogurt for another 90-110 cal.

See the last half of this post for the studies explaining why to have half your calories for breakfast, a medim lunch, and a small dinner. (Leads to more weight loss than the usual American way of eating, even keeping calories equal.)
    51637601.png
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I love my breakfasts.
    • Refrigerator oatmeal (oatmeal, yogurt, frozen berries left to soak overnight)
    • Steel-cut oatmeal with raisins and greek yogurt; maybe throw in a tablespoon of chia seeds
    • Omelet (three eggs serves two) with available veggies
    • Pumpkin protein pancakes with yogurt and frozen fruit
    I may add a side of pumpernickel toast spread with margarine or peanut butter.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    abarriere wrote:
    My calorie goal is 1780 + I give myself 200 per day when I work out (5 days per week). Weightloss has been pretty steady so far. (only started in January on here and with personal trainer). She recommended I eat 30% carbs, 30% protein and 40% fat, with higher protein and less carbs on personal training days.
    Whoa!!! That person does not follow current recommendations from the ADA / CDC.
    The suggested amounts for both carbs & fat are outside the healthy amounts.
    I'm curious to know where she got her nutrition training / degree / certification. Pretty sure they'd like to know that someone they certified is giving out bad/wrong/dangerous information.
    Also, depending on where she got her training/certification to put out a shingle as a personal trainer, she might be prohibited from giving nutritional advice, so that organization should also be alerted to her actions. (Or is she even certified?)

Here's a post I did about realistic goal setting, including weight, calories, & macros.

Here's a table from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition which explains the healthy ranges:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

So for your goal:
    carbs: 801 - 1157 cals, 200 - 289 grams
    fat: 356 - 623 cals, 40 - 69 grams
    protein: 178 - 623 cals, 45 - 156 grams
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    if i'm at work, it's usually yogurt, or yogurt with berries.

If I'm at home, I'll do something with an egg. My current fave is a small tortilla heated with a bunch of mixed greens tossed with a miso vinagrette piled on and a sunnyside up egg on top. So good
  • abarriere
    abarriere Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    MKEgal - I am pretty sure your 700 calorie breakfast you posted is probably more inline with the macros i put down than the ones the ADA recommends.

I don't claim to be a nutritionist, but I doubt extra olive oil, nuts and avocado is going to be "dangerous" for me. I am not talking slabs of bacon and and bbq beef ribs for breakfast or anything.

Plus, i believe the ADA is the same ADA that has flip flopped on what was healthy over and over again - eggs are bad, eggs are good, only eat eggs whites, no the yolks are better. We could go back and forth for days about high protein, low carb vs. low fat high carb, vs paleo, vs vegan, vs whatever diet. From personal experience, I am currently dropping weight and feeling better while doing it with my current eating plan. If my cholesterol numbers go up or my blood work becomes abnormal, I will readjust. By the way, I did get a full physical with blood work prior to starting this plan, and I plan on getting it all checked again soon to see where the numbers lie. I can update then.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I'm curious to know where she got her nutrition training / degree / certification. Pretty sure they'd like to know that someone they certified is giving out bad/wrong/dangerous information.
    Also, depending on where she got her training/certification to put out a shingle as a personal trainer, she might be prohibited from giving nutritional advice, so that organization should also be alerted to her actions. (Or is she even certified?)

I'm pretty sure the 30/30/40 plan comes from IIFYM (if it fits your macros). It's pretty common around bodybuilding folks. Personally I think it's ridiculous and outside what I'm willing to follow, but there are people who'd recommend it.
  • ilovesoccer13
    Options
    I eat oatmeal with fresh fruit, i switch the fruits I use.
    Or scrambled egg on top of avocado spread on toast is delicious
  • Vistarr1
    Vistarr1 Posts: 15 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I had 3 eggs cooked in 1/4 Tbsp of butter, topped with 1/4 avocado and 4 pieces of Canadian bacon. I am at 99 pounds gone so far with 6 more pounds to go :smile:
  • keithb0522
    keithb0522 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Great job Vistarr1!!!
    Butter and bacon may not be a good way to start. False hope it seems to good to be true. But if u eat bad im the am it's not as bad as one thinks. It kicks metabolism up.

Maybe he/she should try 3 egg white (i season with black pepper & granulated garlic), 2 pieces thin and crispy turkey bacon, 1 piece of toast.
    Use fat free feta or mozzarella and cut up bacon and make omelet, or put on wheat English muffin and make a breakfast sandwich.

Running late back up is. Bran flakes, raisins, small handful raw almonds, with light Silk vanilla Soy Milk

Works great for me.
  • ChipChocolatePancake
    ChipChocolatePancake Posts: 77 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I like to have Special K cereal! I know that cereal isn't exactly the best thing to eat (carbs and sugar, anyone?) but it's the only way I can reach my daily iron goal...plus, with skim milk it's only about 150 calories, and you get one full cup in a serving, unlike lots of other cereals!

Some other things I like are:
    - Siggi's Skyr (Icelandic yogurt) with 1/4 cup homemade granola (240 calories)
    - 3 egg white omelet with spinach, red bell pepper, garlic, and 2 tbsp shredded cheese (150 calories)
    - 2 slices whole wheat bread with 1 tbsp nut butter (250 calories)
    - French toast made with 2 slices whole wheat bread, egg whites, skim milk, and served with 1/2 cup fresh berries (260 calories)
    - 1 hard boiled egg with 1 slice whole wheat bread and 1/2 banana (230 calories)
    - 1 apple with 1 tbsp nut butter and sprinkled with granola (200 calories)
    - Thomas's light english muffin with 2 egg whites, 2oz turkey, 1 slice of tomato, spinach, and 1 tbsp cheddar cheese (250 calories)
    - Fruit smoothie with 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 frozen banana, 1/4 cup blueberries, and 1/2 cup blackberries, with 4oz turkey on the side (240 calories)

Hope this helps! Good luck :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Post night shift breakfast today will be a full tin of creamed rice pudding flavoured with Cadburys fudge hot chocolate powder.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Depends whether I eat at work or at home. I work at a private school that serves breakfast for teachers/faculty every morning. It's awesome. There's eggs, bacon, home fries, yogurt, granola, fresh fruit, bagels, coffee cake, etc.

If I eat at work, I usually grab bacon, home fries, and fruit.

If I eat at home, egg whites with Al Fresco chicken sausage with an English muffin or 1/2 of a bagel.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kozinskey wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the 30/30/40 plan comes from IIFYM (if it fits your macros). It's pretty common around bodybuilding folks. Personally I think it's ridiculous and outside what I'm willing to follow, but there are people who'd recommend it.

@kozinskey‌ Why is it ridiculous? Most people deprive themselves of food they enjoy when they "diet." THAT is ridiculous.

IIFYM believes in incorporating foods you love into your diet, all while hitting your carb/protein/fat and calorie goal. It's sustainable, can be followed throughout one's life and has been proven to be successful.

FYI, it's not just common around bodybuilding folks. It's common for the average Joe.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited February 2015
    Options
    abarriere wrote:
    My calorie goal is 1780 + I give myself 200 per day when I work out (5 days per week). Weightloss has been pretty steady so far. (only started in January on here and with personal trainer). She recommended I eat 30% carbs, 30% protein and 40% fat, with higher protein and less carbs on personal training days.

Here's a post I did about realistic goal setting, including weight, calories, & macros.

Here's a table from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition which explains the healthy ranges:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

So for your goal:
    carbs: 801 - 1157 cals, 200 - 289 grams
    fat: 356 - 623 cals, 40 - 69 grams
    protein: 178 - 623 cals, 45 - 156 grams

You do realize that just because a person gets 40% of their calories from fat doesn't mean it is unhealthy, right? Just like eating 30% carbs isn't unhealthy.

If I ate 45-65% carbs, my blood sugar would be all over the place and I would not be satiated. Some individuals cannot get more than 15% of their calories from carbs due to medical conditions. Over 10% of the American population has diabetes. I can assure you no endocrinologist or dietitian who specializes in diabetes management puts their patients on a 45-65% carb diet.

I know REGISTERED dietitians who recommend a diet to certain individuals that is 70% fat, 20% protein, and 10% carbs. This is mainly for folks who follow a Keto diet.

• kellykim56
    Options
    1/2 cup oatmeal w/a tsp of agave syrup cooked 1/4 fresh apple or pear, 1/2 grapefruit, coffee with 1/4 c plain soy milk, 6 oz cherry chia kombucha. I take calcium w/vitamin D and a multi vitamin supplement.
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm useless in the morning so I put oats with milk and assorted fresh or dried fruit (like apple pieces with some cinnamon) in the fridge and the next morning sprinkle on some flaxseed, chia powder or crunched up banana chips to give it a bit of bite. I take it into work for when I'm actually hungry, which is usually about 10am instead of first thing in the morning.