Who else is intaking 1000 calories per day? :)

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm here to find people who are looking for a motivation buddy, not to be told what I should and shouldn't be doing, but thank you.

This is a fitness site. People here are going to point out if something isn't right or healthy.

ETA: Also, there are people in recovery from EDs on this site and the community tends to point out/correct/provide info on certain things (like what has been said in your thread) in order to help out lurkers as well as yourself, and it also helps discourage those in recover from going back down that road because someone who may not understand things is doing something that is potentially unhealthy.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience here! Not here to upset anyone ! I plateaud with my weight for six months when I was eating 900 some calories a day. Upon research I found that the body goes into starvation mode and it holds on to fat for dear life when you give it less than 1,200 calories (women) or 1,600 calories (men). After tweaking my diet and adding a tiny bit of extra food to my diet, the weight just started falling off effortlessly ! It's all about a balance between a deficit of your BMR and making sure you're giving your body enough caloric intake. Good luck in your endeavors ! Stay motivated and you'll reach your goals before you know it!

Starvation mode is a myth.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Seeing as MFP was letting me select 1000 calories, I didn't think it was a problem or a bad thing... I assumed it was okay.

Ummm..I doubt that seeing as MFP won't let you go below 1200 without setting off a warning. The only way to set it at 1000 is if you custom change it to be a 1000.

• AlexanderLeRitz
    AlexanderLeRitz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Seeing as MFP was letting me select 1000 calories, I didn't think it was a problem or a bad thing... I assumed it was okay.
    It should warn you after you end your diary for the day that you're not intaking enough. It does this if your intake is too low and it won't show you your projected weight if you're not getting enough.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Did MFP give you a goal of 1000 calories, or did you choose that goal yourself?

• squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    how tall are you to be eating that little a day?
  • sazgabrielle
    Options
    I didn't custom change it though... It could have been a glitch. I'll look into what's best for my height etc. Thank you all for your advice.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I may have missed it, but did you say how tall you are? A 1000 calories might be just fine. I have a friend who is 5' and has a very sedentary job and if she wants to lose weight, she has to get down in the 900 calories range. Without knowing your height and activity stats, we're all a little premature in offering any kind of advice.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I didn't come here to cause a negative discussion, I apologise if I offended anyone. I'm simply doing what I feel is best for me, that's all... I understand that everybody has different opinions on what's best but we all work differently. Sorry again.

Let me guess .. you set MFP at 2 pounds per week even though you have just four pounds to lose?

If that is the case, your choice is not the healthiest. That said, it doesn't appear that you are receptive to those who have a clue.
  • fengschwen
    fengschwen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'll add you girl. I eat more than 1,000 calories a day. I usually eat around 1300-1500, depending on if I work out hard or not. But do what you do! Just be safe, ya know. I don't believe in trying to tell anyone else what they should do with their body. So anyways, add me if ya want! Have a good night.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I didn't come here to cause a negative discussion, I apologise if I offended anyone. I'm simply doing what I feel is best for me, that's all... I understand that everybody has different opinions on what's best but we all work differently. Sorry again.

Let me guess .. you set MFP at 2 pounds per week even though you have just four pounds to lose?

If that is the case, your choice is not the healthiest. That said, it doesn't appear that you are receptive to those who have a clue.

I changed my goals to lose 2 pounds per week and the 1200 was the suggested goal per day with only 5 pounds to lose. So she must have entered 1000 calories per day.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    you really should never go under 1200 calories, your body needs more especially if youre exercising hun <3
  • brianpperkins
    edited February 2015
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

I changed my goals to lose 2 pounds per week and the 1200 was the suggested goal per day with only 5 pounds to lose. So she must have entered 1000 calories per day.

Claiming it was a glitch. Still with so little to lose, the weekly goal needs to be correspondingly small.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I didn't custom change it though... It could have been a glitch. I'll look into what's best for my height etc. Thank you all for your advice.

There was a glitch recently in the system, which is why I asked. Try inputting your information again (My Home>Goals>Change Goals), and see what number it gives you.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I eat 1000 calories per day, plus another 400-600.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience here! Not here to upset anyone ! I plateaud with my weight for six months when I was eating 900 some calories a day. Upon research I found that the body goes into starvation mode and it holds on to fat for dear life when you give it less than 1,200 calories (women) or 1,600 calories (men). After tweaking my diet and adding a tiny bit of extra food to my diet, the weight just started falling off effortlessly ! It's all about a balance between a deficit of your BMR and making sure you're giving your body enough caloric intake. Good luck in your endeavors ! Stay motivated and you'll reach your goals before you know it!

If what you say were true, the refugee camps in Africa and the Middle East would be full of very overweight people, because many eat 800 calories a day or less ( for lack of access to more food ) for long periods of time. Yet, all of them are very slim and many are cadaverous, because when it comes to malnutrition, the body starts consuming itself.
    Please, read up on the subject so you cane share facts and not myths.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    1000 suits me just fine, I find it difficult to eat much more than that to be honest.

Seek professional help!!
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    It's funny how the OP was pushing back about eating more than 1000 calories ... yet hasn't said a thing since getting told that such a low total was likely the result of a glitch.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I may have missed it, but did you say how tall you are? A 1000 calories might be just fine. I have a friend who is 5' and has a very sedentary job and if she wants to lose weight, she has to get down in the 900 calories range. Without knowing your height and activity stats, we're all a little premature in offering any kind of advice.

i'm pretty sedentary myself, and i'm just at 5foot and can lose on like 1000-1200. i hope she's still getting enough when falling below 1000, unless you're friend is a little bit older of course!
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey there! :) I'm only on this 10 days now and haven't added any friends yet. Who else is intaking 1000 calories per day? Motivation buddies? :)
    My calories for maintenance is around 1500, so for me to lose 1lb per week, I need a daily goal of 1000 calories. I eat a little more than this, but burn that off (and more) through exercise. I eat a highly nutritious diet, getting enough fat, protein, carbs, fiber, and nutrients etc. I never finish a meal wishing I could eat more, as I'm quite satisfied.

My opinion is that if you are eating real food and not a bunch of pre-packaged highly processed junk, you can be healthier than the next person whose getting more calories.

Also, MFP says "For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 for men."

Obviously if I was doing weight training and the like, my appetite would not be satisfied with 1000 calories and my body would send me clear signals (FEED ME!!). At this point and time my hopping on the stationary bike for 10 minutes here and there throughout the day has yet to cause such an effect. ☺️