Too good to be true!!?

1235»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Poverty is more of a driving force behind obesity than the fast food industry is. It's CHEAP to eat fast food.

It's cheaper to not eat it.

In urban deserts where people are struggling, it's not. There aren't grocery stores there. Work all day, take a bus 2 hours to get to a dead end job, come home with another 2 hour commute, dead tired, what are you going to do for a meal? Take another bus to another neighborhood for a big grocery shop?

There are convenience stores where people can buy necessities for inflated prices. It's ridiculous. The dollar menu at Mickey D's is a cheap option.

No grocery store on the bus routes to buy food once a week or once every two weeks? Many grocery stores I've been to have the city bus stopping in front of them

Not always, no. It's dependent on where someone has to commute. Also, don't discount the depressive effect that poverty can have on someone's psyche. Its all well and fine to say that if someone wants it badly enough they'll find a way, but I doubt most posters here could imagine living in such circumstances.

• dontjinxit
    dontjinxit Posts: 82 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Poverty is more of a driving force behind obesity than the fast food industry is. It's CHEAP to eat fast food.

It's cheaper to not eat it.

In urban deserts where people are struggling, it's not. There aren't grocery stores there. Work all day, take a bus 2 hours to get to a dead end job, come home with another 2 hour commute, dead tired, what are you going to do for a meal? Take another bus to another neighborhood for a big grocery shop?

There are convenience stores where people can buy necessities for inflated prices. It's ridiculous. The dollar menu at Mickey D's is a cheap option.

No grocery store on the bus routes to buy food once a week or once every two weeks? Many grocery stores I've been to have the city bus stopping in front of them

Not always, no. It's dependent on where someone has to commute. Also, don't discount the depressive effect that poverty can have on someone's psyche. Its all well and fine to say that if someone wants it badly enough they'll find a way, but I doubt most posters here could imagine living in such circumstances.

There's also the psychology of deprivation. I always feel hungry (and somehow end up eating more) when there's nothing in the fridge. However, if it's overflowing, I barely feel hungry or eat at all - probably because there's no sense that starvation is imminent.

• kk281
    kk281 Posts: 66 Member
    The bottom line is, even if you have calories left, don't eat if you're not hungry. Try and find foods you like that are high in protein and fiber as these help you stay fuller longer.