Tattoos :)

Options

Replies

• donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm a manager at a large Transportation Authority with a half sleeve. Never been an issue and I don't regret it in the least
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I
    And people are barely answering the OP's question about having a SLEEVE, not tattoos in general. OP, I am hesitant to do any kind of sleeve. I think they look awesome, but fear they'll limit job opportunities in the future. As a teacher, I fear a sleeve wouldn't be cool unless I wore shirts with long sleeves all of the time, which I don't like doing. My two (soon to be three) tats are in places they are covered, but I'm kind of a private person and don't necessarily want everyone to see them.

Thanks for the response! I hear ya on a private person! but then I hear the you wouldn't get them if you didn't want to answer questions or tell people! my leg sleeve is VERY personal ill tell people if they ask but usually if I don't know you I say I got it cause I wanted it!
    I work in an office with VERY old school men! They don't understand it and rag on me about wasting my money and such! but nothing about when im older!
    I just say you spend your money on your BMW I spend mine on my art!
    Do you think as a teacher they will get more widely accepted?!!?!?

I'm already seeing a ton of lenience in this department. People will have some on their bicep that show in short-sleeve shirts or when women wear sleeveless blouses. Some have small ones on their wrist or even their neck. Kind of suprprising in education, but I think the world is getting used to this. same with piercings. Back in olden times, only ear piercings and only for women. Now, I see woman with nose studs, men with multiple ear piercings, stuff like that.

It's sort of like how we let our students dick around on cell phones at school and at work... the oldies are just going to have to get used to it, I guess. Not that I agree with that logic.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    I'm not that goddamn old, btw, just 31 and in possession of tattoos. Just paranoid about job opportunities...
  • Boardergurl
    Boardergurl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm not that goddamn old, btw, just 31 and in possession of tattoos. Just paranoid about job opportunities...

I didn't say you were old!!!!!!!!
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Converting existing tattoo to a half sleeve Saturday, will let you know if I regret it after. My job doesn't care. I'm a web developer if that helps?
  • Boardergurl
    Options
    530roman wrote: »
    Converting existing tattoo to a half sleeve Saturday, will let you know if I regret it after. My job doesn't care. I'm a web developer if that helps?

I start tomorrow! trying to make the decision 1/2 or 3/4 or full lol
  • decy63
    decy63 Posts: 175 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ya I don't regret any because there is a story behind them all! I would be covered head to toe if I could!!!
    That's amazing Decy63! What are you getting?!?!?

A jungle themed sleeve

Have pics of the work done so far on my profile.

• Call_Me_BIGDADDY
    Call_Me_BIGDADDY Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    NO REGRETS!!!!
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just be prepared to discuss your sleeve constantly with strangers, coworkers, future friends, etc.
    To me I would want to snap back "mind your own business!", but I guess that's the nature of the beast when you have large, visible tattoos. Also, know that the things that matter to you at 18, 20, 25, etc may not matter to you at 30, 40, 50 (all still young ages). Just proceed with caution!
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I'm going half to leave room for more work in the future that can be made into a full.
    530roman wrote: »

I start tomorrow! trying to make the decision 1/2 or 3/4 or full lol

I'm going half to leave room for more work in the future that can be made into a full.
  • Boardergurl
    Options
    Just be prepared to discuss your sleeve constantly with strangers, coworkers, future friends, etc.
    To me I would want to snap back "mind your own business!", but I guess that's the nature of the beast when you have large, visible tattoos. Also, know that the things that matter to you at 18, 20, 25, etc may not matter to you at 30, 40, 50 (all still young ages). Just proceed with caution!

Im 30... I have a full leg sleeve! I hear it all the time
    Things that matter have helped shape you who you are today doesn't matter on the age! So if it mattered to you once it may not in the future but you can look back on it
  • Boardergurl
    Options
    I'm going half to leave room for more work in the future that can be made into a full. [/quote]

That was what I was thinking aswell... do the top half and then in the future do the bottom!
  • JustinAnimal
    Options

No, you didn't. I'm a pretty paranoid and defensive guy.
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My 1st tattoo was in the late 80s and I got a "grim reaper". A few years later I became a nurse and always felt odd to have "the angel of death" on my arm taking care of folks. I rarely wear scrubs anymore so its less of an issue.
    Things I think about 30 years later ... It looks like the wind is blowing it backward, how far under the sleeve it goes. Can you cover them when needed? I just wish I had thought mine out a lil better.
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    fish2find wrote: »
    My 1st tattoo was in the late 80s and I got a "grim reaper". A few years later I became a nurse and always felt odd to have "the angel of death" on my arm taking care of folks. I rarely wear scrubs anymore so its less of an issue.
    Things I think about 30 years later ... It looks like the wind is blowing it backward, how far under the sleeve it goes. Can you cover them when needed? I just wish I had thought mine out a lil better.

the tattoo / occupational irony! I remember when I used to volunteer at a teen drug / alcohol / suicide line and, one day, I wore my Suicidal Tendencies jersey to work. That did not go over well.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    decy63 wrote: »
    I'm 52 and am halfway through getting a sleeve done will I regret it when I'm 70 F..k no.

I got my first (and so far only) at around 51, which is on my shoulder, so it's easy to cover, but I'm seriously considering something on my lower arm. I might wait until I get my current contract renewed because after that my job is permanent. My sister just got her first tattoo for her 60th birthday.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Do you think as a teacher they will get more widely accepted?!!?!?

I am a teacher and know a lot of teachers with tattoos, full sleeves and others. But we have a very strong union, so it's not an issue for keeping a job. However, getting hired always means presenting what the employer wants. Plus I'm in a high school, so the kids really like them, and we don't see parents as much. Not sure how a tattooed kindergarten teacher might go over.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i have large tattoos on both forearms i plan on getting one more large one o my forearm no t half sleeve but pretty close ..no problems and long shirts hide everything anyway

the only tattoo i regret is the one on my neck and not because its hard to cover when wearing my hair up ...because its meh ...and the story behind it is "i was 19 and really high" so i will get it covered with a pretty flower sometime
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    cancel - family guy
    bring back - daria