Who else is intaking 1000 calories per day? :)

Options
13»

Replies

• carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Four lbs? Why worry about it? My weight can fluctuate by more than that over the course of a weekend, dependent on what I'm doing. I can lose that just on a Sunday if I've done a long training run, run a half marathon or done a century ride. And you look like you're far, far, far from overweight...
  • sharon9597
    sharon9597 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi
    All the people saying that MFP won't give you a goal less than 1200 a day are wrong. I joined a few days ago but with the app and put in my stats; 50 yrs old, 5ft tall and 115lb with lightly active lifestyle and 1.5lb loss per week and it set my goal at 760 calories!! As Heidiehertle said my maintance cals are also around 1500 a day so 760 would be correct to loose 1.5lb a week. I have a Fitbit and walk briskly 5-6 miles a day giving me an extra 300-450 calories a day which I've been eating to ensure I eat over 1000 calories but have now reset my calorie goal to 1lb loss each week which gives me 1010 calories. Again I will eat some of my exercise calories eating about 1200-1300 calories a day but if I don't do any exercise in a day then I will eat the 1010 MFP have given me. Again I agree completely with Heidiehertle that I can eat 1000 calories of healthy clean unprocessed foods and get better nutrients than someone else eating 1500 of junk food a day. Not to mention that processed foods tend to be higher fat, sugar and calories than wholefoods so you can actually eat quite a lot of clean & wholefoods compared to processed foods for the same calorie count.

It might also be interesting to know that up until the last 10 years it was very commonly advices to drop your calories to only 1000 a day once you only have less than a stone to loose. Even weight watchers in the old days used to say it and I still have a very old diet book that that has a chart for weight loss calories depending on weight to loose, again stating 1000 is weight loss need is a stone or less. Not saying I endorse this just pointing out that opinions and advice does often change and I do think the MFP 1200 guidance is airing on the side of caution.
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    sharon9597 wrote: »
    Hi
    .... Not to mention that processed foods tend to be higher fat, sugar and calories than wholefoods so you can actually eat quite a lot of clean & wholefoods compared to processed foods for the same calorie count.
    Exactly! :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    sharon9597 wrote: »
    Hi
    .... Not to mention that processed foods tend to be higher fat, sugar and calories than wholefoods so you can actually eat quite a lot of clean & wholefoods compared to processed foods for the same calorie count.
    Exactly! :)

If you aren't fueling your body enough, that's not going to matter in the long run.
  • sue61802
    sue61802 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'd be happy to be your buddy. I eat 800-1000 a day and exercise. Check out my food diary if you want. I am doing this just for a short time preparing for lap band surgery but it hasn't been hard at all and I'm not hungry. Lots of fluids which I was not used to, protein for energy and vegetables. I'm just trying hard to keep variety so I stay motivated and don't get bored. I have 4 more days!!
  • sharon9597
    sharon9597 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good for you Sue, hope it goes well. I only have 7lb to loose then just want to maintain and am concentrating on getting fitter and healthy. I eat a vegan diet bar fish once a week. I'd got into some bad habits eating processed vegan foods (hence the weight gain) but now back to wholefoods, whole grains, beans, pulses, nuts, lots veg and fruit etc. As said these types of food are nutrionally dense, low calorie and filling so 1000-1200 calories a day is easily filling.

Not sure how the adding friends works but anyone interested can feel free to add me