So for those maintaining below 2000/day, is this a lifetime commitment?

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Lets do some more maths!!!

In order to maintain at 4'5", age 21, and living a sedentary lifestyle, you'd have to weigh 240 lbs.

I'm 6' and I'm 240 lbs.

Being 4'5" and 240 lbs, you'd probably be wider than you are tall. Not kidding.

That's a BMI of 60.1. 30 is considered obese. I think 60.1 would equal dead.

Do you want to live a life like that?

Sorry, that was a redundant question. You can't live a life like that because you'd be dead.

Love it!

Gosh, how come mine says I'd weigh around 165 pounds if I eat 2300 every day?
    Thwat's a huge huge discrepency there!!!!!!!!
    Which country do you live in?

• Gamliela
    Options

In order to maintain at 4'5", age 21, and living a sedentary lifestyle, you'd have to weigh 240 lbs.

I'm 6' and I'm 240 lbs.

Sorry, that was a redundant question. You can't live a life like that because you'd be dead.

Love it!

cloudi2 wrote: »
    KnM0107 wrote: »
    I eat over 3,000 to maintain a body weight of 144lbs (maintained a 127lbs loss for over a year. 2000 calores would be harsh a deficit for me. Do you happen to follow Linda Bacon? The op seems very HAES and Linda is worshiped over there. She has never mentioned 2000 calories, but feels that people in the overweight category are healthier. She also speaks about people eating too few calories and gaining weight...

That's probqbly more to the topic I think. " worshiped over there" where is it?
    I'll google Linda Bacon. thank you.

You are the first one to post what I expected most inactive women under 25 or inactive men to be eating ( over 3000) but you are the first, I'm pretty sure, to post this.

Thanks for adding it to the thread! :smile:

I am NOT innactive thank you very much...

Did you even look at my profile pic. I am also 30...

Your activity level doesn't matter to the OP ... only what she deems as your activity matters. Reality doesn't interfere with her world view.

I missed someing here, could you repeat the crit, I'd like to underwtand.

Oh, wait I see the provlem. I left out the important part. Sometimes i make the mistake of being in a hurry to get through to all the posts and don't spend enough time writing slowly and comprehensibly.

Ok here goes.

Inactive women 5' to 5' 7" under 25 years old : 3000 a day
    Inactive women same hieght and 25 or older : 2500 a day
    Under 5' subtrqct 3oo

Past menopause 2300.

Higher activity levels or formal excersize, and athletes require more.

I didnt make it up, so dont even ask.

^^Seriously, this continuing thread, is the most bizarre post I have ever seen on MFP in the 3 years I have been here.

I am truly flabbergasted by the tenacity of this OP. She will never give up. I am done.

Seriously. I'm 5'2. I would be very obese if I ate 3000 cals a day with no exercise

Edit. I worked it out on a cal counter site. To maintain on 3000 cals as inactive I would have to be 400lbs.

Very obese. I see nothing healthy in that.

I'm done with this troll

Gifs or gtfo

At 5'8", I don't even count on this scale!! Guess us women over 5'7" are exempt from the craziness. phew!!!

If you haven't yet seen her reply to me it was very revealing of her logic. She said if you just eat this much eventually after a gain your weight will stabilizes at its healthiest level.

If I ate 3000 calories per day I would sure as hell "stabilize...." at an obese bmi with over 30% body fat (unless I burned about 1000 through exercise per day, which for me personally is not gonna happen.)

I can't remember for sure but I think its women over 5'7 and under age 25 then its 3500 per day. Seriously!

• squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    The OP choose to stay in an overweight BMI on purpose!

224tucp01csm.jpg

Again, this thread is a train wreck.... You know you should not look, but you just can't help but look no matter what you might see!

Its true, I chose, still choosing, to eat enough to ensure robust health into old age. I'm 65 and having a 26 bmi is, from what I read, good for health and happiness. It could even be possibly better at 27 bmi.

I am fortunate to have no health problems. I'm not taking or been prescribed any meds.
    I don't smoke or do formal excersize and am a bit of a dirty eater.

I can't twke any credit for this however, because in fact , besides quiting smoking over 30 years ago I havent been very attentive or concerned to my health.

I posted this topic becaus of my recent interest in caloric intake and health.

Love the picture! :smile:

Okay, OP. Okay then. Let us just ACCEPT your claim that a 26 bmi is good for health. No one is disputing that that is only a bit overweight. And let's also accept that you are not lying when you say you eat 2300 per day. I'm less inclined to believe that, but for purposes of my questions we will assume its accurate.

Now. MANY MANY PEOPLE, if they were to eat 2300 calories every day, would have a BMI of 35+. Not everyone, but for many people that would be the case.

Are you suggesting that that person should eat 2300 calories a day regardless? Are you suggesting they would be HEALTHIER at a BMI of 35 because they are eating over 2300 calories? Is this what you are advocating?

Or, are you advocating everyone strive for a BMI of 26? Because if that is the case, you need to accept that many people would need to eat well under 2000 calories to maintain a BMI of 26.

Please answer these questions.

Ok, first, I claim that 26 or 27 bmi is good for MY health.

I was curious to know how other people are faring with dieting and their weight, for I am not alone in making this decision and many others are doing this now, I only hear from the ones who are dedicated to giving up diets. i am interested also in those who struggle with it too. I asked the questions to hear how ral people are managing their diets and eating and excersize too.

There are so many lovely ones here who have shared ther experience.

Oh my, I lost th topic of your questions,

Ok yoi asked if I advocate eating over 2000 I think. yes, from my research, its better to eat at the very least 2300 to 3500 a day depending on gender, age andheight.
    I am at the bottom of these levels because I am past the menopause.

The theory is that after a possible initial weight gain the bmi will settle at its natural set point eventually which could take from 2 to 6 years.

Thank you for these questions. if my post doesn't answer, please write a brief bit and ask me more if you would care to.

First of all, until this point you have not said it is just healthier for you specifically. You have said studies show it is healthier for everyone and then refused to cite those studies, but whatever.

In response to the bolded: You think that someone who eats above 2300 calories every day will magically "settle" into a BMI of 26 or 27?? If that is genuinely what you think then I think I finally understand the problem with this thread. Your fundamental understanding of human bodies is flat out wrong. If it were true, people would never get obese.

Thanks for explaining your reasoning.

Well, you could ve right, but when I loog my calories into this site here on MFP at the vottom, you know where it says 'IF you ate like this every day you would weight xxx amount of pounds", well it says I would weigh exactly what I weigh and its usually around the weight for me that is a bmi of 26.

So I feel like I dunno. Correct me agwin, cause I'm not getting it yet.

Thanks agwin! :smile:

You are 5'7" and weigh 170 lbs (based on what you say your BMI is.) If you are honestly eating 2300 calories per day and MFP is telling you you will weight 170lbs in 5 weeks then you must be set to at least moderate activity level (probably very active), or you are logging moderate-very active daily activities. This would produce a maintenance level of about 2300 calories given your height and weight and activity level. With some slight variation due to genetic or other intangible factors, that is the only way this can be true.

THIS WILL NOT BE TRUE FOR EVERYONE. How are you not getting this? Someone with your exact stats who is not active, for example, could not maintain at 2000. Someone with a different height and weight would maintain at a totally different level. Why on earth do you think that everyone's data will line up exactly with yours? Not everyone in the world is your height, weight, gender, age, and activity level. And not everyone wants to maintain at an overweight BMI.

Do you understand that not everyone in the world can eat 2300 calories and maintain a BMI of 26?
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Why don't you open up your diary? That could put this issue to rest.

edited to add: there is no way you are NETTING 2300 calories per day. you may eat that many, but you must also then be burning 300-400.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    jcim1ru wrote: »
    My average calorie burn for the type of lifestyle I lead is around 1400 calories per day. I add in a minimum of 400 calories of exercise a day for a total of 1800 calories.

I eat all 1800 calories each and every day and have successfully maintained my goal weight for 4 months now. For the 9 months prior I comfortably at a 1200 calorie a day diet and never felt deprived, never ate an unhealthy balance of nutrients and was closely monitored by a medical professional.

And yes, I intend to spend as much of my remaining life as I have control over eating a diet that balances calories in to calories burned. People who have been thin their entire lives do it, people who have lost weight and maintained it do it.

Reducing caloric intake to balance with caloric burn is the secret to weight management. It doesn't mean depriving yourself of being healthy, of eating only special foods, of living low-carb, high-carb, or drinking ridiculous shakes 3 times a day.

If you change your lifestyle and the result is weight loss, the weight loss will be far more permanent than if you apply any of the trendy, quick-fix remedies. None of them actually teach you anything other than following a prescribed program intended to forever drain your pocket of cash you could be spending on learning to actually do it yourself.

Wow, thankyou for sharing in such a straight forward, clear and complete way.
    All the best to you and your future health. A lovely family picture there. :)

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Holy moly! I just logged in for a second time today...

I can't believe this thread is still going on! Moreover, that the OP is still writing on this thread and MFP members are still being entertained by this!

Whew who!!!

o25od0ibjj9f.jpg
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Eating at 2000 isn't a deficit for me...my BMR is around 1300.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Eating at 2000 isn't a deficit for me...my BMR is around 1300.

What does BMR have to do with anything? My BMR is in the 1300s, too, but I'm not lying in a coma, so my maintenance is higher than that. About 2150/day, in fact.

I don't think a lot of people realize that maintenance calories and BMR are not the same thing.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    zognorp wrote: »
    Hilarious thread. I am in a good weight loss deficit at 1555 per day and 5'8" 210 pounds. I want to lose 50 pounds this year. When I reach my goal I will slowly increase calories until I maintain, but I will not use any schedule of someone else's numbers or doctor's tables to find that point. I need to find it by my weight, assuming that I do not get sick somewhere along the way.

That's the most sensible thing that I have read in this thread. I have the same goal (50lbs) and plan to find my maintenance balance once I have achieved that goal. I have never considered myself as "average" so why would I assume that average BMR will work for me?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

I'm 6' and I'm 240 lbs.

Love it!

I eat over 3,000 to maintain a body weight of 144lbs (maintained a 127lbs loss for over a year. 2000 calores would be harsh a deficit for me. Do you happen to follow Linda Bacon? The op seems very HAES and Linda is worshiped over there. She has never mentioned 2000 calories, but feels that people in the overweight category are healthier. She also speaks about people eating too few calories and gaining weight...

You are the first one to post what I expected most inactive women under 25 or inactive men to be eating ( over 3000) but you are the first, I'm pretty sure, to post this.

Your activity level doesn't matter to the OP ... only what she deems as your activity matters. Reality doesn't interfere with her world view.

Oh, wait I see the provlem. I left out the important part. Sometimes i make the mistake of being in a hurry to get through to all the posts and don't spend enough time writing slowly and comprehensibly.

Ok here goes.

Under 5' subtrqct 3oo

Past menopause 2300.

^^Seriously, this continuing thread, is the most bizarre post I have ever seen on MFP in the 3 years I have been here.

I am truly flabbergasted by the tenacity of this OP. She will never give up. I am done.

Seriously. I'm 5'2. I would be very obese if I ate 3000 cals a day with no exercise

Edit. I worked it out on a cal counter site. To maintain on 3000 cals as inactive I would have to be 400lbs.

I'm done with this troll

Gifs or gtfo

At 5'8", I don't even count on this scale!! Guess us women over 5'7" are exempt from the craziness. phew!!!

If you haven't yet seen her reply to me it was very revealing of her logic. She said if you just eat this much eventually after a gain your weight will stabilizes at its healthiest level.

If I ate 3000 calories per day I would sure as hell "stabilize...." at an obese bmi with over 30% body fat (unless I burned about 1000 through exercise per day, which for me personally is not gonna happen.)

I can't remember for sure but I think its women over 5'7 and under age 25 then its 3500 per day. Seriously!

Yet you still refuse to provide a source for this garbage you keep spewing.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

I'm 6' and I'm 240 lbs.

Love it!

Ok here goes.

Under 5' subtrqct 3oo

Past menopause 2300.

I'm done with this troll

Gifs or gtfo

Yet you still refuse to provide a source for this garbage you keep spewing.

Yes, please cite your sources or GTFO with this insane nonsense.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    OP I have a question: I have been taking a diet break for the past 4 months and maintaining at about 2000 calories. When I went a little bit over that I gained weight. I currently have 35.5 BMI, which is very unhealthy by all standards, even by the standards of all the researches you are referring to. What do you exactly propose for me? To maintain an unhealthy obese weight at 2000 calories and just make-believe that it's healthy? Or to lose until I'm within the healthy range and maintain at less than 2000? By your calculations, how would it be possible for me to maintain 2000+ calories at a healthy weight when, if I eat that much, I gain? We can't really will our maintenance calories into existence. If it was a choice would have maintained at 25 BMI on 5000 calories. If it really was a choice, you would never see obese people around, because dieting would then be just a simple act of willing yourself into losing weight on any calorie amount you want.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    @Amused monkey: I think we dont get to choose our weight. We try, we try to be in control of that, but I believe its like our hieght and the colour of eyes. Everyone can do as he or she wishes with their body it is theirs to care for as long as it lasts.

As for your particular problem, and only since you asked me to express my opinion, it would seem you need to eat more in order to stabelize. If you were at the weight your body deems comfortable, you would be satisfied with the calories you consume. If you arent satisfied, your body asks for more. You dont feed it, and it asks for even more and more. In my opinion the only way to stop the vicious cycle is to eat whatever you want and see where it leads you.

Its not easy, but it may be better than what is on offer by dieting and reatricting calories which causes hinger, fatigue and other health problems that can be as bad as being overweight or obese.

If all you read is these fitness sites, you may become convinced that your only options are to be found in diets and excersize. There may be another way, but it doesnt guarantee thinness.
    Google some things and see if there are options, there are normal eaters out there.

I really truly feel your pain. All the best to you as you find the road on which to stroll.

• KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I will accept the under 25 though

Yeah, I didnt read about your activity level, I dont remember that you posted anything about that, I wish you would, its verr interesting and as I said, I didnt see thqt you are an athelite,thats just probably cause I should wear my reading glasses to see the finer things posted by people like you.

Good on and thanks again for posting about HAAS. :)

I am not an athlete, I just have a really active job. I run chainsaws and other equipment 8 to 10 hours a day and I get in an average of 20000 steps a day on work days. I try to road or mountain bike at least a couple times a week with longer rides on the weekend (weather has been crappy so I haven't rode much recently). In the spring and summer I camp and hike a lot.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    @Amused monkey: I think we dont get to choose our weight. We try, we try to be in control of that, but I believe its like our hieght and the colour of eyes. Everyone can do as he or she wishes with their body it is theirs to care for as long as it lasts.

As for your particular problem, and only since you asked me to express my opinion, it would seem you need to eat more in order to stabelize. If you were at the weight your body deems comfortable, you would be satisfied with the calories you consume. If you arent satisfied, your body asks for more. You dont feed it, and it asks for even more and more. In my opinion the only way to stop the vicious cycle is to eat whatever you want and see where it leads you.

Its not easy, but it may be better than what is on offer by dieting and reatricting calories which causes hinger, fatigue and other health problems that can be as bad as being overweight or obese.

If all you read is these fitness sites, you may become convinced that your only options are to be found in diets and excersize. There may be another way, but it doesnt guarantee thinness.
    Google some things and see if there are options, there are normal eaters out there.

I really truly feel your pain. All the best to you as you find the road on which to stroll.

So basically no one should ever lose weight? Because eating whatever we want is what makes some of us obese. If I did what you propose, I would be back to 140 kg and rising, with diabetes in a couple of years and a heart attack in 10. By losing the weight I am no longer pre-diabetic and all of my blood tests have vastly improved. Don't you think it's worth not eating whatever I want and being slightly hungry in order to extend my life 30 or so more years?
  • brianpperkins
    Options

You refuse to cite a source leaving the only logical conclusion as you making up this stream of bovine excrement you've posted.

You've moved from humorously misguided to pathological.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I am offended. How come OP is responding to everyone's posts except mine?? :o

OP did you see where I have similar stats to you and I've maintained for over a year on net of 1710?

Did you skip my post because it doesn't support your theory?
    Surely not.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

this is bull. i was 140 pounds in my late 30's. i merely had to learn portion control and to eat more nutrient rich foods in order to be hungry for less calories. i lost what is now 37 pounds and was 103 this morning and mostly kept it off give or take a couple pounds. i naturally eat less now. my body adapted to lower calories by weighing less. it is not struggling to get back up to 140 at all and I'm satisfied on the calories I'm eating. now i'm 40 and i've maintained it for almost 2 years.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    I am offended. How come OP is responding to everyone's posts except mine?? :o

OP did you see where I have similar stats to you and I've maintained for over a year on net of 1710?

Did you skip my post because it doesn't support your theory?
    Surely not.

When she does respond it won't address the content of your posts and will likely counter one of her previous proclamations.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Tomhusker wrote: »
    I am 6'1" and 400 lbs. For the past two weeks I have struggled to hit 2000 calories per day, let alone the 2800 I am supposed to reach (before adding in the calories for exercise) . 2000 calories is a lot of food.

One does not reach 400 pounds by chronic undereating.

Brian, Tomhusker had the courage to post his experience here.
    You shouldnt abuse or shame anyone about their body type.

No BODY is open for ridicule on this thread!