What's it like to have your body?

Options

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    You know, overall I think it's not bad as bodies go, it was definitely worth saving and looking after :)

EVERY body is worth it! :)

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    You know, overall I think it's not bad as bodies go, it was definitely worth saving and looking after :)

EVERY body is worth it! :)

My thoughts, elegantly condensed to a nutshell! Thank you :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Im 5'4, 117-120 lbs. 27 years old. Weight loss maintainer since june/july of last year.

I have an awesome tattoo, and a lot visible scarring on myself. Even my kids were born via Cesarian, so that left me with 2 more scars. ;) Oh well.

I am pretty body confident. When I was fat I felt like a curvy pin-up. (175ish, was my starting weight)

Now I feel like a more athletic, gymnast type physique. Or maybe a dancer.

I have GERD, and losing weight/changing my eating habits has been really life changing for me. I used to have constant indigestion and pain, so living without those symtoms makes me feel like a million bucks.

The only fly in the vaseline is that I am a binge eater. I have been able to control it pretty well, but a stressful event in my family has woken the beast yet again. I just keep logging, and try my best to have Patience with myself, and not to beat myself up too badly when I just MUST EAT EVERYTHING NOW OMG OMG OMG.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ... and it's on the verge of middle age (38).

Ha! At 43, I would like to make a correction to this poster's definition of middle age ... I would say it's much closer to 55 ... 60 ... right? ;)

BTW, OP - great question. It has been fun and good for perspective to read other people's perceptions of self. Plus, it was nice to write - strengths and weaknesses, ups and downs, always things to be grateful for. xo

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am a bit fluffy around the middle. At 46 years old I now have to worry about the fluffiness of mid section something I never had to before...

I am just glad to know that other women out there have this, and share their toning and exercise programs to keep at bay..

Its a work in progress, but over all, I am in the best shape I ever been in and only a few pounds until I move into maintenance. YEAH!!!!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My body is complicated. I love it, but sometimes things get hard. I have a brain condition called Chiari Malformation that sometimes makes me resent my body and the lack of control I have over certain aspects. But I'm still thankful for it.

I'm 5'4.5", my weight is currently 162. I've lost 70 pounds so far. I have a lot of stretch marks, loose skin and scars (7 abdominal surgeries).

But I'm strong, and getting stronger. I've got a great figure - hourglass with great boobs (so my waist to boob ratio makes me look thinner). I'm very flexible and can do some crazy hard yoga poses. I'm a very slow runner, but I don't mind. My endurance is so much higher than it was a year ago. I can swim for hours and I'm a really good dancer (jazz specifically). I'm in the best shape that I've been in since high school and the smallest size in 11 years.

I still have about 15 pounds I'd like to lose, but I'll get there.

It was interesting to think about myself like this - thanks for posting the question!
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Would trade for cyborg body if the bright kids at MIT would just get a move on with that. Though the way things are going it would probably be made in a Chinese sweatshop, come bugged by the NSA, and have a Department of Defense override switch.

Meanwhile the very non-scifi body I'm stuck with could be worse. It's 5'3 and as of this morning 119 pounds. I can run and bike and rollerblade and swim. I can hike darn near forever. I can dance (minus actual grace and rhythm, of course), and after what I did to it with the eating and sitting around a few years ago, I guess I should be glad it isn't completely wrecked. And my legs are getting stronger and leaner already from taking up bicycling. That makes me happy. Just wish my hunger switch and spine were in better repair.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Is this the alien body snatcher thread? Can we do trades?
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    basics:
    - i'm 5'5, and too tall standing next to my bf in my heels. but, i like my height. I like my shoulders & working on them a lot lately to get ready for tank season. the rest of me is where i have issues, sadly. but, i am working on that both physically & mentally.

capacity:
    - i consider myself a runner. i can run for miles & miles. i have yet to run an ultra. but, it's on my bucket list.
    - i am not very flexible. one year i was really into yoga, that helped but i can't seem find time for it anymore.
    - i dance well only when i am drinking. OR, at least i think i do. I am terrible at every sport & i am ok with that.

goals:
    - working on getting rid of 15 lbs but most importantly improve my strength. i can now do 15 pushups on my toes! I am so proud of that!

At 44, it's time for me to stop bashing myself as to why I don't have this ideal body that i think i should have. I am too old for that crap.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    basics:
    - i'm 5'5, and too tall standing next to my bf in my heels. but, i like my height. I like my shoulders & working on them a lot lately to get ready for tank season. the rest of me is where i have issues, sadly. but, i am working on that both physically & mentally.

capacity:
    - i consider myself a runner. i can run for miles & miles. i have yet to run an ultra. but, it's on my bucket list.
    - i am not very flexible. one year i was really into yoga, that helped but i can't seem find time for it anymore.
    - i dance well only when i am drinking. OR, at least i think i do. I am terrible at every sport & i am ok with that.

goals:
    - working on getting rid of 15 lbs but most importantly improve my strength. i can now do 15 pushups on my toes! I am so proud of that!

At 44, it's time for me to stop bashing myself as to why I don't have this ideal body that i think i should have. I am too old for that crap.

You are not terrible at every sport, because you are brilliant at the most awesome sport: long distance running! :) Sounds like we have some things in common. My husband says I dance like the girl in the Peanuts Christmas special - arms up waving enthusiastically back and forth. He is wrong. I am awesome (when I'm drinking ... at least I think so)! Friend me?
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    basics:

capacity:

goals:

You are not terrible at every sport, because you are brilliant at the most awesome sport: long distance running! :) Sounds like we have some things in common. My husband says I dance like the girl in the Peanuts Christmas special - arms up waving enthusiastically back and forth. He is wrong. I am awesome (when I'm drinking ... at least I think so)! Friend me?

I dance like Elaine on "Seinfeld", but not on purpose. :'(

• KrisAZ000
    KrisAZ000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 142- hopefully less when I do my weekly weigh in shortly! Accuracy is questionable, but last week I used someone's body fat scale which put me at 24% body fat. I'd like to get down to 20% and see how I look and feel before determining an ultimate goal.

I am a classic pear shape, which is a blessing and a curse. The curse: I thin out so quickly on top that boobs are the first thing to go. Right now I have a tiny upper body with all my rib cage and bones showing, but still have some thickness in my thighs. My thighs drive me nuts! Also, I feel like large chested women get a pass on having as low of a body weight or BMI because big boobs are "genetic", a "female body trait", and "not the same kind of unhealthy fat as stomach fat." All true, but us pear shapes don't get this same pass even though all the same is true for carrying curves in the lower body. For example, a trainer told me that I should get to 20% body fat but my large chested friend that she should get to 23%, because of her boobs. But at 24% I already wear an XXS in shirts (and I'm not at all small boned) and a 6 at the absolute largest in pants. Usually smaller. Trying to get down further is fighting against my genetics just as much as the other way around. I'll keep trying though!

It's not all bad being a pear. Many studies say that this is the healthiest body type. I don't carry weight in areas that are detrimental to my health. I have a thin face, tiny waist, and ideal waist-to-hip ratio. Despite my small chest, many men seem to be really attracted to my body type. So despite the bad parts, I try to be grateful for the good aspects.

Fitness wise, I'm still a beginner. Working on C25K and starting out on the weight machines. I'm looking forward to the day when I can say I'm truly fit!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The answer is complex. I blogged about my evolving sense of self today.

basics
    5' 4", 180 pounds. Pear shaped with boobs. I am at my smallest at the top of my ribcage, size 10. My waist/belly because of all the excess skin and fat, is size 12/14. My butt seems to be shrinking now.

capacity
    2.4 km run with ease, with walking breaks every ten minutes. I can run about 40 minutes, and my lap time is just over ten minutes. My cardiovascular strength is far above what it has ever been, and my muscles and tendons are struggling to keep up. I still have lousy upper body strength; can't/won't do pushups. Hubby opens jars for me.

goals
    This year, a 10K in June and Mud Hero in August. My dream is to do the Canadian Death Race in 2017 (one leg of it as part of a five person team). In the meantime, I Zumba. I try new things all the time. I skate. I've taken skiing lessons. I try.

http://jgnatbuzz.blogspot.ca/2015/02/evolving-self.html
  • vchan000
    vchan000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    5'0, 210lbs, 38 years old, round and unselfconscious.

Currently paying more attention to my body due to being off warranty. My knees are unhappy with my weight, with one going on strike occasionally and refusing to do ANYTHING. I've increased the exercise, and for the first time ever, find that while I don't enjoy the exercise any more than I ever did, I enjoy the effects and that's providing enough impetus to continue.

Capacity is growing. When I started, I had a sedentary job, hobbies, and inclinations. 2.5mph on the treadmill for 20 minutes did very rude things to my heartrate. Now, it's 3.2mph (I blame short legs I apparently top out at 3.5 without having to jog) for 40 at 10% incline and a reasonable heartrate throughout.

Goals: 1% weight loss per week or so. Get my cholesterol low enough the Dr stops yelling at me. Skin the cat on the pull up bar. (Earlier goal: do a pull up). Turn the eating and exercise into routine, not 'special'
  • skylarderoo
    Options
    My body is quite slim, with minimal- but still there curves. I like it, it's nice. Although I do hate my arms, but I have long, slim ballerina legs which I feel are one of my best attributes.
    I have very poor endurance, sadly. But I'm working on it. Obviously as a rhythmic gymnast I have ample flexibility, strength and grace.
    My goal is to become 115 lbs, at 5'7" within the next year. It's going to be hard, because I'm already at the lower end of a healthy BMI, but I have a very delicate bone structure and I believe that would be a nice weight on me.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm Rocky, others I'm Sid the Sloth. I'm a little more Sid, today.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The answer is complex. I blogged about my evolving sense of self today.

basics
    5' 4", 180 pounds. Pear shaped with boobs. I am at my smallest at the top of my ribcage, size 10. My waist/belly because of all the excess skin and fat, is size 12/14. My butt seems to be shrinking now.

capacity
    2.4 km run with ease, with walking breaks every ten minutes. I can run about 40 minutes, and my lap time is just over ten minutes. My cardiovascular strength is far above what it has ever been, and my muscles and tendons are struggling to keep up. I still have lousy upper body strength; can't/won't do pushups. Hubby opens jars for me.

goals
    This year, a 10K in June and Mud Hero in August. My dream is to do the Canadian Death Race in 2017 (one leg of it as part of a five person team). In the meantime, I Zumba. I try new things all the time. I skate. I've taken skiing lessons. I try.

http://jgnatbuzz.blogspot.ca/2015/02/evolving-self.html

Need a teammate for the 2017 Canadian death race? I'm in if so!

I think we should have team MFP, have done sweet unis made.

This place needs merch btw. I would totally rock an mfp racing Jersey.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and over the last ten years my weight has fluctuated betweent 133 - 147lbs. Currently about 140lbs. I'm short, but I don't mind. It weirds me out when I am actually taller than someone lol. I'm pear shaped, which for the most part I'm okay with (now).

I have pretty good balance, I did horseback riding for years and was pretty good at it. Whether the good balance came from this, or is just part of me I'm not sure. I suck at long distance running, but I think it's more mental because my endurance in other activities is pretty good. The first year I started mountain biking I completed the almost 100km mountain bike tour I signed up for, when some of the more hardcore, biking-for-years guys couldn't finish.

I never considered myself athletic growing up. Now that I'm older I realize that I was just trying the wrong things. I still hate team sports, but love more "individual" activities, like hiking, biking, 5-10K fun runs and working out.

I used to hate my big legs but now that I've biked long distances, I can sprint fast(ish) and I can squat heavy (for me) I have a much higher appreciation of what my body can do :)
  • mavajo
    mavajo Posts: 10 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    5' 8" 155 lbs.

Still have a long way to go, but I feel pretty good about my body. Since I started just under two years ago, I've dropped 60-70 lbs of fat mass (plus water, etc., of course) and added about 5-10 lbs of lean mass. 20 months ago, I was 215 lbs and a blubbery no-muscle mess. My avatar is where I'm at today.

Still need to cut about 10 more pounds of fat and add about 15-20 lbs more of lean mass. 160-170 lbs at single digit body fat is my long term goal.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and weigh 195ish right now. I would classify my body type as curvy. I have a defined waist and hips and a rather large bust. Although I'm still considered overweight, my weight is distributed evenly, so I don't appear as fat as I really am. Even when I was 20lbs heavier, I felt healthy. I just didn't feel good about the way my clothes fit.

I can walk for miles and miles without getting winded or tired. I can run jog 5.5MPH for 30-40 minutes on the treadmill without taking a break. I count that as a win in my book. It's not pretty when I jog, but by golly I can do it. I'm athletic, love playing softball, but I run like I'm dragging a boat anchor. I have to hit a double to make it to first base without getting thrown out. I'd like to start playing volleyball agian, but I know I can't jump and spike the ball like I used to. I don't even know if I could do an overhand serve and make it go over the net...

My ultimate goal is to get back down to the size I was when I got married (god I looked good). I don't remember what I weighed, but I'm guessing somewhere between 170-175. I'm putting that dress back on and wearing it all day once I can fit into it! I will be posting before and after pictures sometime in July/August to show my 50 pound weight loss. Put that on your calendar, okay?