Metazoick wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Add chicken. Eliminate protein powder. Eat chicken. Problem solved.

Getting protein from actual food sources is pretty much always better, but it should be understood that for some people this just isn't feasible. To get the protein I want I'd have to have 2/3 of my calories every day coming purely from chicken, and even if I could stomach eating that much it doesn't exactly leave much room for anything else - not to mention how stupidly expensive it'd end up being if you only bought the free range/organic stuff, and this is all with somebody who needs less protein than a hell of a lot of people. Chicken is great. Protein powder to top up your protein intake is also great.

First I would ask why 2/3? Why are you eating 75% protein?
    Secondly, there are tons of sources that aren't chicken.

I'm not eating 75% protein, but chicken has around 25g of protein and 220 calories per 100g, and I aim for 125g protein per day which means I'd need to eat 1000+ calories of chicken to hit my protein goals per day. Which is way too much, and as such protein powder is a great addition to all my other protein sources. I know chicken isn't the only one (obviously) but the above was just an example as to how, unless you have a lot of calories to go around or low protein aims, hitting your target purely from food isn't all that easy or even possible depending on how extreme your requirements are. Like I said before, food > powder (food comes with more nutrients), but it isn't like it's silly to supplement.

I beg to differ. I go for 120-130g per day of protein. On any given day I have 2 whole eggs + 5 or 6 egg whites with bacon. Lunch is some sort of protein, might be beef or fish or chicken or pork, whatever I fancy. Dinner is 6oz of some other protein. You add all that up with the stuff thrown in like my PB sandwich etc and it's a piece of cake to hit my goals. Or should I say, a piece of protein.

It's great that you can hit your goals with food, my point is only that it isn't realistic for *everybody*. I shudder to think how much I'd have to spend to get that much meat a day when I don't buy any factory farmed goods (I spend a fiver or more on 2 smallish chicken breasts alone to get the kinder ones), and a whole box of eggs in one sitting would probably make me feel unwell as I tend to feel pretty full after just two fried, not to mention there's a decent chance we have different calorie aims, so eating enough protein is going to get easier and easier the higher your calorie intake. Without a ton of meat options become way more limited and the mountain of quorn I'd need to eat is just depressing to look at. Days where I have a good amount of meat available to me make it a lot easier, and it isn't like I've never hit my target without supplements, but days where I can't have any and end up with like 40g protein to my name are days where it's obviously best to have some relatively inexpensive powder to boost it to decent levels. Not to mention those who want 200+ grams of protein. Food sources are better, but it's really an oversimplification to say never use powder and simply eat more from food when it may not be that viable for everybody, and it's a sentiment I see a lot.
    Ahhhh, well you see the problem with your statement is I never said don't ever use powder. You simply extrapolated that from my statement.

Well, you did initially tell somebody to 'eliminate protein powder' in response to them asking how to make it taste nicer, my statements have simply been in defense of using it when needed, and pointing out that there are plenty of people who it's useful and practically a requirement for. Including you, apparently.

Nope, I actually don't use protein powders. And I have no problem with people using it to meet their goals. Again, you're assuming. You are debating someone that you have no clue what his stance on overall nutrition i .

You told somebody asking about ways to have protein powder to eliminate it, talked about how you can hit your goals daily without it, when I pointed out it can be useful for some people you then pointed out that technically you never said you never use it... even though you don't, and that was never my point. I don't care if you use it. None of what I've said has been telling you whether you should or shouldn't be, it's just been that for some people it's useful. There's a difference between me 'assuming' things, and you telling people to eliminate it and later saying 'ah, well, you're just *assuming* me telling people to eliminate it means I want them to not use it'. If you don't use it because you can get enough from food, great. If you have no problem with others using it also great - I agree. The only stance I've taken on this is that telling somebody to not use powder and instead use other sources when you don't know how viable this is for them is an oversimplification at the very least, and if you're fine with people using the stuff I don't see why you're disagreeing.
  • Metazoick
    Metazoick Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Add chicken. Eliminate protein powder. Eat chicken. Problem solved.

Getting protein from actual food sources is pretty much always better, but it should be understood that for some people this just isn't feasible. To get the protein I want I'd have to have 2/3 of my calories every day coming purely from chicken, and even if I could stomach eating that much it doesn't exactly leave much room for anything else - not to mention how stupidly expensive it'd end up being if you only bought the free range/organic stuff, and this is all with somebody who needs less protein than a hell of a lot of people. Chicken is great. Protein powder to top up your protein intake is also great.

First I would ask why 2/3? Why are you eating 75% protein?
    Secondly, there are tons of sources that aren't chicken.

I'm not eating 75% protein, but chicken has around 25g of protein and 220 calories per 100g, and I aim for 125g protein per day which means I'd need to eat 1000+ calories of chicken to hit my protein goals per day. Which is way too much, and as such protein powder is a great addition to all my other protein sources. I know chicken isn't the only one (obviously) but the above was just an example as to how, unless you have a lot of calories to go around or low protein aims, hitting your target purely from food isn't all that easy or even possible depending on how extreme your requirements are. Like I said before, food > powder (food comes with more nutrients), but it isn't like it's silly to supplement.

I beg to differ. I go for 120-130g per day of protein. On any given day I have 2 whole eggs + 5 or 6 egg whites with bacon. Lunch is some sort of protein, might be beef or fish or chicken or pork, whatever I fancy. Dinner is 6oz of some other protein. You add all that up with the stuff thrown in like my PB sandwich etc and it's a piece of cake to hit my goals. Or should I say, a piece of protein.

It's great that you can hit your goals with food, my point is only that it isn't realistic for *everybody*. I shudder to think how much I'd have to spend to get that much meat a day when I don't buy any factory farmed goods (I spend a fiver or more on 2 smallish chicken breasts alone to get the kinder ones), and a whole box of eggs in one sitting would probably make me feel unwell as I tend to feel pretty full after just two fried, not to mention there's a decent chance we have different calorie aims, so eating enough protein is going to get easier and easier the higher your calorie intake. Without a ton of meat options become way more limited and the mountain of quorn I'd need to eat is just depressing to look at. Days where I have a good amount of meat available to me make it a lot easier, and it isn't like I've never hit my target without supplements, but days where I can't have any and end up with like 40g protein to my name are days where it's obviously best to have some relatively inexpensive powder to boost it to decent levels. Not to mention those who want 200+ grams of protein. Food sources are better, but it's really an oversimplification to say never use powder and simply eat more from food when it may not be that viable for everybody, and it's a sentiment I see a lot.
    Ahhhh, well you see the problem with your statement is I never said don't ever use powder. You simply extrapolated that from my statement.

Well, you did initially tell somebody to 'eliminate protein powder' in response to them asking how to make it taste nicer, my statements have simply been in defense of using it when needed, and pointing out that there are plenty of people who it's useful and practically a requirement for. Including you, apparently.

Nope, I actually don't use protein powders. And I have no problem with people using it to meet their goals. Again, you're assuming. You are debating someone that you have no clue what his stance on overall nutrition i .

You told somebody asking about ways to have protein powder to eliminate it, talked about how you can hit your goals daily without it, when I pointed out it can be useful for some people you then pointed out that technically you never said you never use it... even though you don't, and that was never my point. I don't care if you use it. None of what I've said has been telling you whether you should or shouldn't be, it's just been that for some people it's useful. There's a difference between me 'assuming' things, and you telling people to eliminate it and later saying 'ah, well, you're just *assuming* me telling people to eliminate it means I want them to not use it'. If you don't use it because you can get enough from food, great. If you have no problem with others using it also great - I agree. The only stance I've taken on this is that telling somebody to not use powder and instead use other sources when you don't know how viable this is for them is an oversimplification at the very least, and if you're fine with people using the stuff I don't see why you're disagreeing.

What I don't see is why you are getting so emotionally invested in this conversation. I made a suggestion, you didn't like it, I think it's time to move one.

Eh, I'm not emotionally invested, I'm just pretty rambly when I talk (it's useful for dissertations at least) and I feel kinda rude when I don't reply back to somebody, even if that's a bit silly. If you have no issue with using the stuff like you just said we're probably pretty much on the same page anyway, I just didn't want OP to think that there was anything wrong with supplementing when they needed to, and that points been done now.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    @Metazoick you said it'd be pretty impossible for you to use food to hit your protein goals. I'd assume you're eating at deficit, if that's the case.

If you're gaining (and this IS the gaining section), it's pretty easy to hit your protein macro without sacrificing the others, using food. In saying that, I still use whey and casein but I enjoy them.

For someone who's not enjoying protein powder (and has posted in the gaining section) the advice to use chicken is a pretty sound one.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I ordered some chocolate fudge flavored whey protein off of Amazon last night. It had excellent user reviews on taste and texture, and the ingredients and carb level looked appropriate for my needs. I hope this will be a good solution for the morning and post workout. *knocks on wood* The price was not bad. I was getting tired of PB2 or boiled eggs or string cheese so very often, every time that the doctor set out a time of day that I am supposed to eat protein to keep my blood glucose levels decent. Every 2.5 hours, she said. More options would be good. I look forward to trying it. I will probably put some coffee in it at least part of the time. Coffee, nectar of the gods! <3 I noticed that the vanilla flavors had consistently lower taste ratings, and people mentioned it here as well, so I didn't try that kind.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Add some frozen berries....makes it thick like a strawberry milkshake. I add vanilla protein powder to my oats and banana. Seemed a little weird at first but I love it now!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I wish we had "like" buttons here. Strawberries sound divine.
  • nanosuitninja
    nanosuitninja Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Personally I buy unflavoured impact whey protein (from myprotein.com), the protein itself has very little taste And is also cheap (£12 for 1kg), then I just add Nesquick and believe it or not I actually enjoy the protein shakes! They go down a treat.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The Cellucor ones taste awesome!

Yup! Once I switched over to Cellucor, I can't see myself getting any other brand. Seriously, all the flavors are delicious! Right now I'm on the Smores kick.
  • isocom79
    Options
    If you can find it Orange Creme is fantastic. Cytosport makes a 45gram Protein Power Shake in orange creme.
  • Reefboy1980
    Reefboy1980 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Nesquick
  • cnm4173
    Options
    I have a nasty vanilla too. I mix mine with bananas, strawberries, maybe blueberries, vanilla vogurt and a little milk and ice! Can't even taste the powder!
  • Azazel882
    Options
    Chocolate syrup and strawberries. I despise vanilla with a passion but, the two above will make it delicious.