Day 2 No white diet - bad headache

Options

Replies

• elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Using Lent to aid a diet seems wrong to me. But your business.

So at New Years it's OK but at Lent it's sacrilegious?
  • HeidiHirtle
    HeidiHirtle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Well my weaknesses that contribute to excess calories are sweets (candy, ice cream, pastries, etc), bready foods, snacks, sugar cereal, and bad food choices at restaurants. I am a picky eater and tend to choose burger or sandwich + fries.
    Good for you for giving up what's basically junk food, especially the "white" stuff (and common sense prevails here that it doesn't include white vegetables etc., LOL!).

Technically, a potato is a "white" vegetable, so I see no reason why it would be obvious that it includes potatoes but not turnips. It's based on this idea that being "white" makes a food bad for you, which is not particularly sensible. Brown sugar is no better for you than white sugar (and both are fine anyway--if I'm more likely to eat rhubarb with some sugar, why does that make the rhubarb unhealthy?).

I've dropped sugar and flour for a time, and never gotten a "detox" headache, that seems crazy. Probably it's a reaction from going from high to low carb or, in the OP's case, caffeine withdrawal.
    Where oh where is the common sense here? Silly me for thinking that it would be obvious to all that when one is talking about bad white carbs, they are referring to sugar, flour, refined stuff, maybe potatoes (though I think they are fine for you if plain baked).

And who would think that brown sugar is good for you because it's not white?

Only ignorant idiots talk about bad white carbs.
    You're priceless, and possibly 7 years old. :p

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Well my weaknesses that contribute to excess calories are sweets (candy, ice cream, pastries, etc), bready foods, snacks, sugar cereal, and bad food choices at restaurants. I am a picky eater and tend to choose burger or sandwich + fries.
    Good for you for giving up what's basically junk food, especially the "white" stuff (and common sense prevails here that it doesn't include white vegetables etc., LOL!).

I don't commonly eat such foods and although there's always that dreaded "detox headache" from quitting those foods if I've let them sneak back in, it's so worth kicking their butt to the curb it in the end. I'll never understand the general attitude around here that it's not wise to restrict foods that don't contribute to your health, and that restricting such foods is "extreme". Eating for optimal health is extremely gratifying. :)

Keep up the great work, you'll feel so much better physically and emotionally in no time!

so cauliflower is bad, because white?
    I was referring to some above statements that eliminating white foods would include caultiflower, eggs, dairy....which is silly thinking. Of course cauliflower isn't included, it's a cruciferous vegetable and is awesome for you.

I see what you did there
  • elleykat
    Options
    I think it's crazy how MFP threads are full of people bashing any lifestyle except "everything in moderation." By cutting out refined carbs, sugars, and over-processed food stuffs, I am eating everything in moderation. I'm just saving up my allotment of sugar & white flour to be used at thing like birthdays on a piece of cake, and making room for more delicious and nourishing food that's got a better nutritional bang for my calorie buck in my daily diet.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Technically, a potato is a "white" vegetable, so I see no reason why it would be obvious that it includes potatoes but not turnips. It's based on this idea that being "white" makes a food bad for you, which is not particularly sensible. Brown sugar is no better for you than white sugar (and both are fine anyway--if I'm more likely to eat rhubarb with some sugar, why does that make the rhubarb unhealthy?).

I've dropped sugar and flour for a time, and never gotten a "detox" headache, that seems crazy. Probably it's a reaction from going from high to low carb or, in the OP's case, caffeine withdrawal.
    Where oh where is the common sense here? Silly me for thinking that it would be obvious to all that when one is talking about bad white carbs, they are referring to sugar, flour, refined stuff, maybe potatoes (though I think they are fine for you if plain baked).

FWIW, I have literally had people on these boards tell me that they only eat brown sugar because it's healthier. There are a lot more misguided people on the internet than you realize.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Is New Year's a religious season of penance, etc.? I did not know that.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm not bashing anyone's "lifestyle."

(Also, if you are saving it up, I hate to tell you, but you aren't cutting it out. You are eating it in moderation, just based on what works for you as moderation.)
  • elleykat
    Options

Is New Year's a religious season of penance, etc.? I did not know that.

Pretty sure New Year's is about drunken debauchery, so ... point made! I think a lot of people use Lent to give up something that's bad for them anyway, much like making New Year's resolutions, though. Not saying it's right/wrong but, as they say, "it is what it is."
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Don't get me started on that stupid movie about the guy who gave up one-night stands for Lent (or something like that). But anyway I'm pretty sure we aren't supposed to talk about Lent--Lent as a diet aid is just a personal pet peeve even though it's none of my business, I know.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options

Nice! :)
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I say fill up on protein and fiber, and for fiber fruit can be sweet so can carrots - try to eat these things first and fill up... there must be some veggies or fruits you like? Drink lots of water... Apples saved my a** and still do and if you don't let yourself get too hungry and fill up on healthy foods it can go a long way.
    I was LIVING on lattes and cookies at one point so I understand the pull of these things!
    Sugar is a crazy addictive thing a lot of this is just habit.

Maybe take a walk while you are at it? Sometimes taking a shower, chewing gum having tea, brushing your teeth these are also things like can refresh or stave off cravings.
    Make sure you drink enough water too!
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm with you @lemurcat12. I understand giving up alcohol, or meat, or sweets, or sugar because it's hard. But then people follow it up with, "and I'll save money and lose weight!" Donate that money to a charity and then we'll talk...

I much prefer the "do" something for lent (meditation, prayer, service, etc.).
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight based on many of the expert responses here - 1. using lent to improve one's habits (including dietary habits) is bad and 2. cutting out white foods like French fries, sugary cereal, ice cream, white breads/pastas, candy, white rice, etc is just a fad diet.
    -
    http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/victorious/images/1/12/Jlaw-okay.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120904161949
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    If you are still getting the same caffeine...then I would guess an imbalance with your salt, dehydration, or a combination.

Truthfully though, anytime you dramatically change your diet like you have there is bound to be some biological blowback...and it could be for no good reason that you can diagnose.

I have only had one coke zero the last two days as opposed to my usual 2-4 per day + a starbucks Carmel Mach.

your headache is from cutting caffeine. you will have to wait it out.

people hate anyone who does things differently than they do. If cutting out sweets and carbs will help you get where you want to be than go for it.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Feeling crappie (headaches, cravings, fatigue etc) are all normal reactions to extreme changes in diet. Especially if you are going from lots of sugar/carbs to none. Your two options are to stick out the pain or if it is too intense scale back and eliminate those foods gradually over a few weeks.
  • HeidiHirtle
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

Well, that's ironic.
    Says you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    becs3578 wrote: »
    I gave up diet coke along with going back to a more PALEO modified diet for lent. And yes I ate a ton of pasta and bread Tuesday. Ha!!! I will say I use EXCEDRIN migraine when getting of the diet coke (and when I get migraines). Really helps with headache and has some caffeine in it... Just a little more than 40 days... WE CAN DO THIS.

thats not paleo then ….
    a plate of pasta means one's not paleo?

Paleo don't eat grains. So, no pasta, no bread...

I get that. My question was rather more abstract: does one deviation from an approach mean one doesn't follow that approach? If one says they follow a religion, but they ignore one of its "rules" or "values", are they no longer followers of that religion?
  • HeidiHirtle
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »

Well, that's ironic.
    Says you.
    And he's right.
    Aww, it's so sweet when fellas stick together.

What were we talking about again?