My 600 Pound Life?

Options

Replies

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As for real, I don't know about all of them, but I'd say Melissa's story was about as real as it gets. Just too much there that couldn't have been faked. Staged trips to the store and such? Sure. Questions asked and then cut out of the final piece? Yeah. But overall, I'd say that was the least likely to have much fakery in it.
  • trajanAz
    trajanAz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't find it entertaining, but I do find it useful.

I was 600lbs before I sought help, and hearing the kind of excuses and rationalizations I might use come out of someone else's mouth when they're so patently false helps me avoid the same traps. It also helps to see what the body is capable of, even though I haven't had surgery and am relying on more conventional methods to bring my weight down.

Prior to shows like this I was trapped feeling like there weren't many people struggling with problems as extreme as mine. Shows like this helped me to understand and accept that I wasn't alone and that I could come back.

My 600lb Life, Fat Doctor, Heavy and other similar shows have helped me. I don't think I'd be down 135lbs+ without them.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Pauline was the worst! She actually has a website, where you can pay to watch her eat or get a rub down. The level of denial was staggering. It made me sick.

And the dysfunctional relationship with the son was completely twisted. That poor kid. He needs to cut the umbilical cord and run! She could write a book, "How to turn your kid into Norman Bates".

Pauline and Penny...they like being taken care of, and the passive aggressive pity party...wow! They guilt trip or manipulate others into being their caretakers. And enablers. Really interesting dynamics.

On Pauline, I don't think she should have had the surgery. It should have been a clue to her lack of motivation when she GAINED three pounds in a month after her first visit to Dr. N.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I was surprised that Dr. N. went forward with Pauline's surgery.
  • brandyharford
    Options
    I like watching it ...keeps me on track and yes just like hoarders makes you realize you need to clean your house or maybe its not that bad after all...
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    lemon629 wrote: »
    I was surprised that Dr. N. went forward with Pauline's surgery.

I don't understand why he did it. She clearly said that even when she feels full, she keeps eating. How can a smaller stomach help her then? It can't. she needed therapy, not surgery.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I read the summary of Pauline's episode, and I'm almost glad I didn't see it. I'll still watch it eventually, but I'm glad I have the heads up that it's going to make me just as grumpy as Penny's did.
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    DeboraW_55 wrote: »
    Jruzer, that is so true! It could be us.
    I agree it could be us!!!

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I watched the Paula and Paula/Chuck revisited episodes. As they went from ~600lbs to 250lbs, my thoughts turned from "Wow, how did they let themselves get like this?" and "So many excuses!" to "Damn, they're serious." and "Now they weigh less than me--and still look heavy-ish, and their doc's still all over them!" I'm getting fitter, but I've got to channel my own inner Chuck/Paula to finish off the core of my weight loss journey. I could lose faster and healthily. ;)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

No thanks. I refuse to buy into this reality tv mindset that it is ok to humiliate other human beings, in the name of entertaining, pardon me, I mean, educating, viewers.

Is anyone forcing them to go on the show? Are they not willing participants in this?

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Now I'm curious, is there somewhere I can watch this without having cable? Having been morbidly obese, seeing others' reactions to it is interesting to me...not in a freak show way, but in a 'this was my life' way...
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

Sigh-Charlie-Brown-229x300.jpeg

I guess you don't like clowns either?

Clowns are evil, actually. :o

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Now I'm curious, is there somewhere I can watch this without having cable?

Season 2 is on Hulu.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    trajanAz wrote: »
    I don't find it entertaining, but I do find it useful.

I was 600lbs before I sought help, and hearing the kind of excuses and rationalizations I might use come out of someone else's mouth when they're so patently false helps me avoid the same traps. It also helps to see what the body is capable of, even though I haven't had surgery and am relying on more conventional methods to bring my weight down.

Prior to shows like this I was trapped feeling like there weren't many people struggling with problems as extreme as mine. Shows like this helped me to understand and accept that I wasn't alone and that I could come back.

My 600lb Life, Fat Doctor, Heavy and other similar shows have helped me. I don't think I'd be down 135lbs+ without them.

Wow that's great. I get what you're saying about hearing excuses come out of someone else's mouth, so many times i feel like i know how their wheels are turning when the rationalizations start because i did the same thing and it was a con. I think a lot of these people's memtal problems is often a refusal to be real and and stop the blame game and shifting responsibility away from themselves.
    Congrats on your weight loss.

Did anyone notice that the woman who is going to be featured next week is a woman that the british show Supersize vs Superskinny sent their supersizer to the US to visit to show where the supersizer is headed? I don't remember the exact episode but she took the british person shopping and was in a motorized cart. Her skinny boyfriend/husband/caretaker was shown also and from the previews for her episode it looks like he's still around.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Now I'm curious, is there somewhere I can watch this without having cable? Having been morbidly obese, seeing others' reactions to it is interesting to me...not in a freak show way, but in a 'this was my life' way...

Maybe YouTube?

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Well, I watched last night and wow!

I guess what was shocking to me was the level of manipulation and dysfunctional family dynamics that exists in regards to getting food for them.

That doctor is one brave soul to do that kind of surgery on people that are that severely obese. It cannot be easy to do that sort of surgery and recovery monitoring.
  • aliciamunday7
    aliciamunday7 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Im not much of a TV person but I have caught the show a couple of times. I cant stand watching it for more than a few minutes once they start with the reasons they are obese. The whole traumatic life experience/something happened when they were children/ etc etc. Maybe Im cold, ok no I know I am cold, but blaming it on something that happens in your life pisses me off. Bad things happen, suck it up and get on with your life. Dont waste it eating yourself to death. I did watch a documentary called Fat and Back that was quite good
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    TLC has kind of turned into a freak show over the past decade. It used to be The Learning Channel and showed documentry type things similar to Discovery Channel. Now it's all reality shows and things like "My Strange Addiction"

That show "My strange addiction" creeps me out. Especially the one where the woman was eating her dead husband's ashes! WHAT?????????? GROSS!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Lisa1971 wrote: »
    TLC has kind of turned into a freak show over the past decade. It used to be The Learning Channel and showed documentry type things similar to Discovery Channel. Now it's all reality shows and things like "My Strange Addiction"

That show "My strange addiction" creeps me out. Especially the one where the woman was eating her dead husband's ashes! WHAT?????????? GROSS!

OMG, that show makes me want to hurl. I can't watch that train wreck.

• palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    So, I finally saw the Penny episode yesterday. Boy, oh boy!