Fridays during Lent

Options
124»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Saltimbocca (jumps in your mouth) and parmigiana are typical Roman dishes. Your pasta dish would also be good wihout the fish in it--in my opinion. Just the mushrooms, would give it flavor. I like to play around with recipes until I get what I or my family likes. That's the beauty of cooking. Last night we ate at a restaurant near Campodifiore, that we haven't gone to for years. We're looking for a new restaurant to add to our favorites, since one near there changed hands and is no longer good. I would like to thank you since we will probably try your restaurant. It looks good and has been around since 1968, which is an indication. I just hope it's not too pricey. Thanks again, and good luck with the recipe. :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Quick note to users: This thread has been cleaned up. This topic is welcome to continue, however we would ask that all users please respect the following guidelines:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, age, weight, body-type, disability, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

Please note that the following guideline can also be applied to posts made by users which target a specific subset of users, in this case users following religious traditions:

6. No Intentionally Hurtful Posts

Topics or posts which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.

As this thread discusses meeting nutritional goals while observing religious traditions, it is not considered a divisive topic. Any posts which you believe are in violation of the community guidelines should be reported for moderation.

As always, if you cannot contribute respectfully to the thread and stay on topic, please move on without posting.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste has a pretty big list of recipes for Lent, and a good number of them don't involve fish.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Lenten Friendly Recipes

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Why would anyone recommend Fish is you aren't eating meat?

Fish is okay. The story goes that back in the day, the Catholics made up the "no meat on Fridays during lent" because the fishing industry was suffering, and that was their way to boost it.

I have never seen this. I am pretty sure it is BS.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Quick note to users: This thread has been cleaned up. This topic is welcome to continue, however we would ask that all users please respect the following guidelines:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

4. Show Respect to All Groups and Individuals

No derogatory references to sex, gender, age, weight, body-type, disability, ethnicity, religion, or sexual orientation, or endorsement of violence against any person or group, even if couched in humor, will be permitted. This includes expressing stereotypes about any group or community.

Please note that the following guideline can also be applied to posts made by users which target a specific subset of users, in this case users following religious traditions:

6. No Intentionally Hurtful Posts

Topics or posts which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.

As this thread discusses meeting nutritional goals while observing religious traditions, it is not considered a divisive topic. Any posts which you believe are in violation of the community guidelines should be reported for moderation.

As always, if you cannot contribute respectfully to the thread and stay on topic, please move on without posting.

I must say I was hoping for a Father Guido Sarducci gif or something when you came in and cleaned this up... ;)
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Fish is okay. The story goes that back in the day, the Catholics made up the "no meat on Fridays during lent" because the fishing industry was suffering, and that was their way to boost it.

The idea that a medieval pope was promoting fish is unlikely, as the inclusion of fish during Lenten fasts for some was noted in 493 AD by Socrates Scholasticus. Thomas Aquinas further wrote on why fish is allowed in the 1200s - at the time red meat was more of a luxury, and the products and meat of fowl and mammals tastier, and more likely to lead one to sin than fish (his opinion, not mine). For general health reasons, eating fish a couple of times a week is a good idea. It used to be that every Friday was "meatless" in the Catholic church...
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Regarding fish: I've also heard a few other ideas on that front.

One is that fish was considered a poor man's food. Anyone could catch fish to eat, whereas livestock or game were much harder to come by.

The other is this (taken from Catholic Answers):
    The word used for meat is carnis. In modern English, the word meat can refer to any animal flesh. But, in the Latin cited here, it refers to mammals and birds only. So, fish, seafood, amphibians, and insects are permitted (assuming you want to eat some of them); but mammals and fowls are not.

There you go :) If I remember correctly, meat-less days of the week were common in not only the Catholic community. Because of shortages of game/domesticated creatures to eat, and the expensive price, fish was a staple. For whatever reason, fish weren't considered "meat".

Reptiles though...you're onto something there. Alligator bites for Friday's!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    local fish fries around here usually have halushki, pierogis, mac and cheese-just watch portions.. I kind of try to fast on Fridays-2 light snacks and a meal smaller than normal after sundown
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Not having a lot of protein one day won't hurt you... man, just enjoy your veggie pizza, or veggie chili, or vegetarian whatever, and eat a bit of extra protein the next day to make up for it. Feast upon beans and tofu.

But really... the point of Lent is creating that deficiency. Fasting so you're a bit more empty. Isn't trying to hit a protein goal for Friday missing the point a little? Eat some meat and pray a little more, or try another protein source (protein powder?), or eat vegetarian and make up for the diet later...

Not sure what I would do without fish, I just ate a ton of sashimi. Heh.
  • BrendanMcGroarty
    BrendanMcGroarty Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. So far this Letnt, it hasn't been much of a problem. I just have a protein smoothie and a salad or something. But now I think I will actually fast altogether on Fridays. There is another group on here that focuses on Intermittent Fasting. I tried it yesterday, and had only a protein bar at the end of the day. It went really well. The hunger does and goes. I think water and exercise is really important while fasting, but some may differ on how much you want to exercise. The point is, exercise, like hunger, raises our consciousness and can really increase our focus in prayer.
    But then again, I have an awful lot of reserves.
  • BrendanMcGroarty
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

The idea that a medieval pope was promoting fish is unlikely, as the inclusion of fish during Lenten fasts for some was noted in 493 AD by Socrates Scholasticus. Thomas Aquinas further wrote on why fish is allowed in the 1200s - at the time red meat was more of a luxury, and the products and meat of fowl and mammals tastier, and more likely to lead one to sin than fish (his opinion, not mine). For general health reasons, eating fish a couple of times a week is a good idea. It used to be that every Friday was "meatless" in the Catholic church...

Actually, I believe every Friday is still meatless. It is only observed during Lent by most people. However, Catholics are allowed to eat meat on Fridays if they perform some other penetential act.
  • BrendanMcGroarty
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »

In general, I think practices in Christian communities involving fasting probably come to us through the monasteries who took the practice from the Desert Fathers as far back as the first century.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lentil taco's are YUMMY! Veggie soup...or just plan pizza/pasta into your daily goals.

Black bean burgers are good too.

Look up Meatless Meals.....lots of options with a good amount of protein.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am a practicing Catholic and do not eat meat on Fridays during the season of Lent. Previously this wasn't too much of a problem because I would eat a lot of pasta or pizza on those days. Now that I am using MFP I am a bit stumped. I am not very creative in the food department. I do not eat salad or fish (I think they taste awful). Any recommendations?

the only issue I see with your statement is "I would eat a lot of pasta or pizza". You can still eat pasta and pizza on mfp. watch the number of calories etc that you get. eat a little pasta or pizza. If you don't like salad add some low cal vegetables or fruit that you do like.

I personally love grilled cheese and tomato soup on Fridays. but I have to allow for calories so I eat lighter at lunch.

There are other good suggestions here.

Good luck to you
  • toddrundgrenrocks
    toddrundgrenrocks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know Lent is almost over, but we enjoy black bean soup, macaroni and cheese (with a bunch of broccoli so it's about half pasta and half veggie), and this great Egyptian recipe called koshary.