Unable to eat any plant products

kamiyu910
kamiyu910 Posts: 16 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I have bad allergies, some more severe than others and have to carry an epi pen, inhaler, and benadryl at all times for it. I cannot have any kind of plant and lately I've been having to avoid things with stuff like corn starch, corn syrup, soy lecithin, and other plant products. Even spices and seasonings are off limits.

Does anyone know of any resource or recipes that can give me ideas on things to eat? I'm getting really bored with what I can think of now. I'm limited to animal products only, so anything dairy, meat, eggs...

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'd be seeing a qualified dietician.
    I feel for you though, it must be hard.
  • keeponlaughing
    keeponlaughing Posts: 41 Member
    Maybe a dietician would be a better help? Just a thought and no idea what they would charge as that depends on your country:)
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    I agree that you need to see a professional to help you figure out your diet.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I think you should check out a fodmaps diet or gaps diet it can help your intolerance and find what exactly you are allergic to. Also check out a sibo diet. You could also potentially have a yeast or candida overgrowth.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    If you're allergic to most or all plant products, you definitely need to be working with a dietician - I don't know anyone who could survive on just a carnivorous diet.
  • shuttlebug1
    shuttlebug1 Posts: 41 Member
    She's already seen a doctor and been allergy tested. She asked them about her diet and was told to keep doing whatever she's doing and to avoid allergens. All she's looking for here are recipes...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    There are lots of things that producers and retailers of meat and dairy and seafood are allowed to add without listing the ingredients as long as it is a tiny amount. Stay away from ground meat. Eggs are good I would think.
    I suggest seeing an acupuncturist who works with allergies. Your first goal is not so much to be able to introduce new foods, but to stop from accidentally eating foods with allergens.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I hope there is some fiber supplement you can take because a fiber-free diet sounds miserable on the digestive tract.

Check out low carb recipes and forums. Of course yours need to be pretty much no carb but you can be picky and modify.

On the good side, you must be in wicked ketosis and have very little appetite.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    You should talk to your treatment team, and work with a dietitian.

Good thing you weren't a vegetarian before finding this all out.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    There is a version of a ketogenic diet used to treat epilepsy, especially in children. It is mainly fat, some protein, and only incidental carbs. So, lots of meat, butter, cream, eggs. I know that's not your goal, but I thought that might be a source of at least inspiration for you?

The Keto Cookbook (Amazon link)

IIRC, the recipes include things like chicken nuggets using pork rinds as 'breading' (which would be a you-friendly substitute, I think). Some of the recipes have fruits and such and won't work, but it's worth a shot.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Can you eat cooked fruits and veggies?
  • kamiyu910
    I am on supplements (which, incidentally are made with corn starch...). I've been allergic my entire life, it's just gotten worse over the years. I cannot eat any fruits or vegetables no matter how cooked they are. I know most people who have OAS can have things cooked, but a piece of celery almost killed me. My allergist told me to stay away from all allergens. My nutritionist told me to keep doing what I'm doing.

I'm just trying to find new recipes and new ideas on what to do to my food to keep from being so bored with it.
  • kamiyu910
    There is a version of a ketogenic diet used to treat epilepsy, especially in children. It is mainly fat, some protein, and only incidental carbs. So, lots of meat, butter, cream, eggs. I know that's not your goal, but I thought that might be a source of at least inspiration for you?

The Keto Cookbook (Amazon link)

IIRC, the recipes include things like chicken nuggets using pork rinds as 'breading' (which would be a you-friendly substitute, I think). Some of the recipes have fruits and such and won't work, but it's worth a shot.

Thank you, I'll check it out!

• toronto88
    toronto88 Posts: 21 Member
    can you eat any legumes (black beans, lentils, chickpeas,etc)? Some people with fruit & veg allergies are ok with legumes. You could make momemade bean mixes, homemade hummus, etc. That would help with fiber and feeling full on fewer calories.
  • dbmata
    sounds like it's time to talk to a registered dietitian.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Can you have pepperoni, sausage, or jerky? That might help change things up a bit. Or incorporating various seafoods....shrimp, scallops, mussels, crab, etc. Bacon wrapped scallops are good :)

Are nuts considered plant products? Are all seasonings off limits? I would assume there are some artificial flavorings that don't have any plant matter in them.

Personally, I would look at recipes from the restrictive first phase of low carb/high protein diets for ideas. I seem to remember that the first phase of Atkins didn't allow much for veggies or fruit.
  • kamiyu910
    toronto88, Nothing from plants at all :( Beans may not be the worst but I'm pretty miserable after eating them.

dbmata, I have talked to a dietician. All I got was "Keep doing what you're doing." There aren't many ideas for such a limited diet :(

DerserveVictory, definitely no nuts! lol. I'm avoiding seasonings altogether, though I've been looking into the artificial stuff like smoke flavoring.
  • dbmata
    then talk to a new dietitian.

Honestly, and this has nothing to do with you. (Seriously.) However, I find this "can't eat vegetable products" to be very hard to believe. I would have drilled the hell out of my doctor, and gotten a second opinion... but, you know your situation. It just seems so far out of my sphere of understanding that it's just so odd to me.

Seriously, aside from just eating straight meat, all the time, and then a metric buttload of vitamins, I dunno. If no plant products, how can you get any carbs? Even things like maple syrup... damn.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    I am curious if you can eat Quorn Products? It is a mycoprotein. They make a chicken nugget substitute that is really good. Can you have fungi? It is kind of hard to know what recipes to start with. Did you do the Alcat, Elisa, IgE/Iga4? If you want message me a decent list of what you can have and what you like and I'll see if I have anything I can come up with for ya. My cousin's son had a horrible allergy to corn, soy, milk and grass and all kinds of stuff. Was not fun for her. I feel for you.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Steak, chuck roast (crock pots are amazing), pork (read the label make sure it's not injected with anything), fish, butter, cheese (watch out for added 'natural flavorings', especially in butter, I've read some posts by people on other forums who have reactions from that).

Really it sounds like you need a good ketogenic cookbook. Maybe browse the library or bookstore shelves.

Also, can you eat vinegar? Might spice things up a bit for you. Or all natural mustard (again look out for sneaky ingredients like natural flavoring)?