Ladies who LIFT & RUN....

Options

Replies

• LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I am doing SL too - I've been doing it since July and it's been great. Currently I only run once a week (4-6 mi) but I want to up that to 2-3x if possible (with my work schedule haha). Please add me, I'd love to be motivated with you all!
  • 3RMomma
    3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Perfect timing on the thread! I was running and then got into heavy lifting a few months back (NROL4W) and just about stopped running... I signed up for my first 1/2 in April so I am looking to find a good balance of running and lifting so I don't loose anything! Add me as a Friend!
  • rightaboutmeow
    rightaboutmeow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Same here!
    Relatively new...been working out for about 6 mos now, but just actually started getting into real lifting (no machines required! :smile: ) about a month or two ago. I definitely struggle with the run/lift balance. I ran 2.24 miles the other day and felt like I was dying (I have been primarily focused on weight training lately) when before when I first started MFP I was able to run 2 miles with only some difficulty soon after I ran my first complete mile. My stamina built fairly quickly. Now it seems I have kind of lost that but I have definitely made strength gains. Hard to find that balance!
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I finally found a decent balance between lifting and running that's also aiding in my weight loss. Now to find a way to slowly build on it, lol.
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I know this an old thread but I am in for this club/new friends! I have found a love in running outdoors lately with my dog and would like to incorporate lifting also. I have dumbbells at home that go up to 52 lbs each (I am not a gym person). Feel free to add me as a friend ladies!
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a little late to the party too, but am interested in starting to lift, whilst training for a half marathon. Any advice? I run 4 times a week, one of which is a long run of about 10 miles and have never done any weights. I am tempted by SL5X5, but don't know how well it works with running.
  • IsaCaliBel
    Options
    I've found that weight training has actually helped with my runs. It also helps me to do more endurance weight lifting when I'm trying to get ready for a race (lighter weights and more reps). Otherwise I like to lift heavier and run lower miles each week. I'm still playing with it and always learning.

Adding you both :)
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just saw this thread for the first time and thought "that's me!" Just signed up with a local running club (extremely excited) and started SL 5x5 last month. Progression is slow going for a couple of reasons but I keep trying! Feel free to add me! Any group suggestions are welcome too.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Count me into the mix. I took up running in Jan. 2013, and started SL 5x5 later that summer (home gym).

Finding a balance is still a challenge at times. I'm currently in training for some halfs and a 25km race, so I run 4 days a week. I've adjusted the SL 5x5 program to 3x5 and do more upper/lower split with it. One day is "legs" and the other 2 days are focused on upper body.
  • anw00
    anw00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Count me in, please! I'm a complete novice when it comes to strength training, but I'm determined to add muscles to my frame. I've been running for about a year now, and it's definitely my preferred cardio. I generally run anywhere between 2 and 5 miles depending on how much time I can carve out of my day. I've traded running for cycling, elliptical, stairs, and sometimes even rollerblades to change things up for my joints, so I'm only running approx 3 days per week now and am trying to increase the distance for at least one of those days :). I need any tips and encouragement I can get for strength training... the machines still intimidate me, and I'm still trying to learn all the basics (form, etiquette, etc., etc.)! First time gym member here. First-time commenting, too!
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Also a runner and newbie lifter. I love to run, the wind in my hair and all that jazz... but I need to lift because my motorcycle is heavy. I'd like to get into trail running this summer, but it's proving difficult in this flat, flat city of mine.
  • IsaCaliBel
    Options
    Awesome! Adding all you ladies.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I do obstacle course racing (aka mud runs) so I do trail running and lifting. I even *attempt* to run up hills/mountains while carrying heavy things!! Mostly endurance nontraditional training. Feel free to add me. I'm active and log 90-95% of everything.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I started running & lifting about four years ago. A little over a year ago, I got derailed by depression, personal problems, and minor injuries, then a more serious injury about six months ago. I just started both again at the beginning of the year, going slow to avoid re-injury. But I'm thrilled with my progress so far.

I just started Strong Curves this week, and I'm running up to about 4 miles now. Slow, compared to what I was doing, but I only run outside and Mother Nature hasn't been very cooperative lately. ;)
  • DanceYogaRun
    DanceYogaRun Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I would love to jump in with all of you. I've been running every week since last November and just started lifting last week. I've been running less to focus on strength, but I still do my best to fit a few miles in every week. I'd love some more friends!
  • vanessatxx
    vanessatxx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out @vsuperfit on instagram for workout tips.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I do both, recreationally only.

I came at it differently. I was lifting heavy for 6-7 mos before I started C25K. Glad I did it in that order, because getting up to 5K was pretty easy, and I was running 10K distances a week after finishing C25K.

I've trained for and completed half marathon distance running 5 days a week, and done full body compound lifting workouts as well as splits during training trying to figure out the best way to work out for me. Turns out, recovery time at 40 is not amenable to programs written by or for 20 to 30 year olds, LOL.

Right now, I'm lifting 4 days a week, an upper/lower body split (M,T,R,F). My rule is, I can run any day of the week except the day after lower body day. That day needs to be 100% rest, no exceptions. So far, this is working well for me at shorter (3-5 mi) run distances. I feel really good. Will be slowly increasing distance again - I want to get back to running one long (>= 8 mi) run a week again.
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Glad to find more ladies who lift and run. While I cut back on my runs to just once a week, I ramped up my lifting this year. 45F looking for more inspirational buddies with open diaries.
  • NicoleLeighanne
    NicoleLeighanne Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm currently training for a 10k obstacle run in the UK... sort of like a mini tough mudder (but a lot nicer )! I really need to build on my upper body strength, and I enjoy running but can get a bit bored over distance so these kind of runs that combine running with strength are perfect for me. The plan is a half marathon in October though eek!
    I'm currently training 5-6 times a week with 1-2 runs, netball, pump classes and a couple of weight sessions. Would love more friends on here :)
  • Sapphire_Elf
    Sapphire_Elf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Another one here :) I looked at strong lifts but would be difficult to get the equipment at home. But I have adjustable weights and Chalean extreme which works well - or will when I start again lol. I started running again last month and try to do about 5k 3 times a week and will be starting chalean again next week :)