My first time being serious about losing weight. Advice?

Options
Well I have decided to start back on a diet and workout routine. I have done alot of research on low carb diets, and just common calorie counting. Also Heavy weightlifting versus resistance training. And this is what I came up with that works for me.

Workout for :Monday/Wednesday/ Friday
I wake up first thing in the morning and I don't even eat I go straight to the gym. While at the gym I do Jog intervals for 30 minutes and Heavy weightlifting 5x5. Meaning 5 sets of 5 reps.
Then I jog interval for another 15 minutes and head home. Later that afternoon I play atleast an hour of basketball to get more cardio in. This is either shooting baskets or playing a full court game a few times.

Meal plan for: Monday/Wednesday/ Friday
These are definitely my protein days, and also the days that I eat a little more carbs. Normally around 175-200. However I still stay under my calorie deficit. I also eat fruits and Ensure Nutrition drinks for a snack. For some reason it satisfies my hunger during snack time.

Workout for: Tuesday and Thursdays
As a college student I have class early on these days, therefore so I can focus I skip the full body workout with weightlifting on these days. Instead I just go to the gym and get atleast an hour of basketball in. Whether its shooting baskets and drills, or pick up games.

Meal plan for: Tuesday and Thursdays
On these days I focus more on vegetables. Like salads and sauteed peppers and what not. I also eat more lean meat on these days. Again I am always under my calorie intake and I mostly drink ALOT of water. Unless sometimes I get a craving for juice I drink V8 splash.( is V8 splash considered healthy?)

This workout routine has been treating me well so far. Feel good after my morning workouts, not as tired anymore. And I feel more active. My goal is to lose about 50 pounds. What do you guys think any advice or modifications you think needed?

Replies

• jaymikhail69
    jaymikhail69 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    CICO. It's all about the deficit.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    open your diary.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Advice?

Don't be so "serious" about losing weight. Committed? Sure, but serious gives it an entirely different vibe.

Joker_Why_so_serious__by_mjlynch712.jpg
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me, you should be burning a lot of calories it sounds. Do you eat back most of your cals you lost on MWF? If you want to minimize muscle loss, I've read that you shouldn't go under 25% of TDEE maintenance cals. I've also been reading about fasted cardio, which it sounds like you do on those days - it's suggested you consume 10 g of BCAA's before and after workout to minimize muscle loss. Apparently whey protein intake before a workout spikes up your insulin enough to counter a little bit of fat burn from your workout, thus the fasted cardio can help burn more fat. I'm not sure what all you can consume without affecting insulin, but most pre-workout powders seem fine. Only saying this cause pure BCAA tastes horrible, although I've taken some after a couple workouts with just water and managed to get them down...barely. The more expensive BCAAs have flavors to mask the pure taste.

Maybe add fish oil and caffeine to your supplement regimen, they have been proven to help with weight loss. There are other supplements that can be effective but none that I've seen enough evidence for to say you should go get them now. Otherwise keep it up and stay patient with the results, your diet sounds solid enough.
  • jaymikhail69
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Sorry I have no idea what CICO is?
    open your diary.

OK.
  • jaymikhail69
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    Sounds good to me, you should be burning a lot of calories it sounds. Do you eat back most of your cals you lost on MWF? If you want to minimize muscle loss, I've read that you shouldn't go under 25% of TDEE maintenance cals. I've also been reading about fasted cardio, which it sounds like you do on those days - it's suggested you consume 10 g of BCAA's before and after workout to minimize muscle loss. Apparently whey protein intake before a workout spikes up your insulin enough to counter a little bit of fat burn from your workout, thus the fasted cardio can help burn more fat. I'm not sure what all you can consume without affecting insulin, but most pre-workout powders seem fine. Only saying this cause pure BCAA tastes horrible, although I've taken some after a couple workouts with just water and managed to get them down...barely. The more expensive BCAAs have flavors to mask the pure taste.

Maybe add fish oil and caffeine to your supplement regimen, they have been proven to help with weight loss. There are other supplements that can be effective but none that I've seen enough evidence for to say you should go get them now. Otherwise keep it up and stay patient with the results, your diet sounds solid enough.

Thanks! I would say I don't eat back most calories. Maybe half. And 25% of what? Sorry bad with acronyms lol
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

CICO=calories in calories out
  • jaymikhail69
    Options

CICO=calories in calories out

Oh
  • bonnbunx36
    Options
    sounds good
  • jaymikhail69
    Options
    bonnbunx36 wrote: »
    sounds good

Thank you
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Best advice ever = its a marathon, not a sprint.

You will find what works for you, make adjustments, fall down and get back up. If you refuse to quit and work hard you will get there.

Best of luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You can do 30 mins interval training and then a strong lifts programme?? :open_mouth:
  • jaymikhail69
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Best advice ever = its a marathon, not a sprint.

You will find what works for you, make adjustments, fall down and get back up. If you refuse to quit and work hard you will get there.

Best of luck!

Thank you!
  • jaymikhail69
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You can do 30 mins interval training and then a strong lifts programme?? :open_mouth:

Yes I can. I find it easier for me to run before I do the lifting instead of the opposite
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan. If you find yourself losing energy or stalling out you may want to eat back some of your exercise calories. Good luck to you!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,931 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yes I can. I find it easier for me to run before I do the lifting instead of the opposite
    Interval training and running are not quite the same thing, but your still better off doing the lifting first especially if it's just running your doing.

• surfpraylove
    surfpraylove Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs 6 years ago, and then kept it off until last summer and fall when I fell into some very old habits when under stress.

Here is the advice list I used to give to people:

(1) Just keep hacking at it. The image in my mind is of a stonecutter creating a statue. S/he doesn't create it in one whack! You have to chip away at it. Keep making a lot of small changes in diet, exercise, and your overall lifestyle.

(2) I do weigh myself every day, and I find it helpful. I can see my normal body fluctuations and I have learned to less judgmental when the scale pops up 2-3 lbs b/c it is that time of the month or I had something salty the day before (which I don't normally eat, so it is really noticeable).

(3) Build in breaks. You have a lot to lose, and it is going to take a while to come off. That means, you will have life stuff in the middle of the dieting. For example, on vacation, I don't overeat. But I don't diet, either. I pay attention to my body and listen. When I'm full or not hungry, I stop. On the few occasions when I have tracked my food on a weekend away, but not dieted, I found that I naturally only ate until I was around my (new) maintenance weight.

(4) Set little goals. My initial goal was to get down 1/2 a size, b/c I was about to be a whole new size I'd never been. And I'd never been the size I was then, either. Then, my goal was to get down another size. Then, my goal was to cross over from "obese" to "overweight" on the BMI. Now, my goal is to get down 1/2 a size and get my BMI into the "normal" range. (Notice, that although I weigh myself daily, I consider weight to be one part of a larger context; I am focused on a healthy BMI, not my scale weight per se.)

(5) Take up yoga. The style is up to you, but I find the slower yoga (not the flowier yoga) forces me to get out of my head and back into my body. Each person has their own style preference, though. Yoga forces you to pay attention to your body and what it is actually saying. I've read it is proven to help with weight loss because of that, but I don't have the citation. It does make you more mindful, and mindfulness with eating is key to weight loss.

(6) You know when stressful times hit. Put your health first. Barring that, if you absolutely cannot diet, then track your food, anyway, and resolve not to go above your maintenance calories on those days. In other words, you may not be able to lose weight, but make it your goal not to gain weight, either.

(7) Make your goal to be healthier and feel better, not "to restrict my food". It is a slight adjustment, but a change in words can make you feel so much better. Use the analysis tools to compare your actual nutrition to the recommended allowances. For example, when I first started using CC, I discovered protein was only 12-15% of my daily diet. It needs to be 20-30%. Protein not only helps you build muscle, it helps keep you from getting hungry (I believe, but I can't find the citation for that). Spend some time reading through the established health and medical sites regarding nutrition, if you haven't already.

(8) If the weight is not coming off, or you are having problem dieting, step back and figure out why. Is there a "foundation" problem you need to fix? **Don't** judge yourself when you do it. Are you sabotaging your own efforts without realizing it?

For example, the first month I began dieting to lose the 1/2 size (but ultimately, the 50 lbs), I could not stay on the diet. I stepped back to figure out why. I realized...my sleep schedule was ALL over the place. I had to spend 2 weeks forcing myself to go to bed and get up at a regular time. I began yoga again to help to relax my mind. I did not diet during this time, but I did not overeat. Once my sleep schedule got on to a regular schedule, THEN I was able to diet, and began dieting, because I could eat and exercise at regular times. Plus, when you don't get enough sleep, you tend to crave carbs, you are tired and dragging and don't want to exercise, your cortisol goes up...this information is online, also. You may want to look up the relationship between sleep and weight (gain), if you aren't familiar with it.

In this instance, I was sabotaging my own efforts by not getting regular sleep, but I had to observe it and figure it out. Now, I know on days when I have not slept well, I tend to overeat. B/c I am mindful of this, I have figured out how to work around my habits on "tired" days.

So, as you start this/get going, be prepared to adjust course as needed, or fix "foundation" problems to enable yourself to be able to diet.

(9) Water. Get enough of it. How much you need/don't need may vary on your geographical location (desert vs. forest) and height/weight size. You may want to poke around online to figure out how much you need per day for your own situation. Water also kills hunger pangs.

(10) Treat weight loss like it is a class. For me, exercise is my "class" and I don't skip it, even if people get upset b/c I won't do something with them. This is what would happen if I were enrolled in a class. Journaling (food log, exercise log, weight log, and journal) is my "homework". And, like any long-term study, like getting your high school diploma or any other degree, there will be ups and downs. Adjust course as needed. :-)

(11) Don't be afraid to address the psychological issues that may have led to your weight gain. Seek out professional counseling/therapy/a pastor or other spiritual/religious guide. There are safe ways to let out anger/grief/sorrow, etc. Read self-help books. Join a free self-help group via meetup.com or this site. Write a journal. (Said in case you haven't or aren't addressing this part.) Some meditation time in these areas can help a lot with letting go of any emotions that might be holding you back from your goals, and you'll come out ahead and better off physically, emotionally, spiritually, and psychologically.

Long term weight loss is an entire lifestyle change that affects you at every level; it isn't just about dieting. It is about the physical, mental, spiritual, emotional sides, too.

I hope my long-post helps. Good luck. It is worth it. It has taken me a long time to lose this weight, but I feel so much better. Inside and out.
  • MADVIV
    MADVIV Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I changed my mindset and now I am losing it and keeping it off.
    It is not about losing weight. It is not about dieting.
    It is about GETTING HEALTHY!
    Weight loss is a happy side effect of getting healthy.
    I am fueling my body with proper nutrition, I have more energy so I do more things which burns more calories which helps me lose weight.
    I have a strange practice or two that works for me. One is that I find a mirror before I eat and ask myself "ARE YOU HUNGRY OR BORED OR STRESSED? WHY DO YOU WANT TO EAT?" The other question I ask is "IS THIS A GOOD FOOD CHOICE? WILL THIS SUPPORT YOUR BODY AND KEEP IT ON THE JOURNEY TO A HEALTHIER HAPPIER YOU?"
    I also keep my scale in the kitchen and have to step on it to open the fridge, this keeps me mindful of my goal.
    Tracking food is SOOOO important, I use MFP and put in my food before I commit to eating anything, if it is too high in calories or carbs and will leave me hungry later, I change my food choice.
    I now "Eat with intent" I chew slowly, I put my fork down in between bites and really relish in my meal. This slows me down, I get fuller faster and I get to enjoy my food.
    Before I always inhaled whatever I was eating to get it out of the way...I over ate because I was not paying attention.
    Also, eat your meals on SALAD plates, NOT regular plates to help with portion control.
    I also use Herbalife which helps with proper nutrition. You are welcome to contact me about that if you are interested. It is amazing.
    Just make sure you are doing this for YOURSELF and make a commitment to YOURSELF! You deserve the very best version of you and nothing less. Know that you deserve to be healthy and to treat your body to the best food choices. Once you embrace the love of yourself, and find your value and self worth, you will not be so quick to just trash your body with crappy food choices. GOOD LUCK!!
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Three things:
    1. I don't know about running and lifting without having eaten. You need food to fuel your workouts.
    2. Beware an "all or nothing" mentality. You have an elaborate, detailed plan. Which is great, if that's how you motivate yourself. But really all you need to do is eat better (less) than you have been eating. So if you mess up one day on your plan, don't throw in the towel. Or if you don't have time to do all your planned exercises in a day, just do something. Too many people get all gung-ho and make lists and plans and promises, and then it just becomes too much so they give up entirely. Just do a little better each day than you've done in the past, and you're on your way.
    Good luck.