New to running - what makes you stop?

Options
13»

Replies

• KarenLouise1981
    Options
    For me - it's my big belly flapping up and down that hurts. My legs are generally ok - i have small breasts so they're well confined to my sports bra, but the belly bouncing up and down and my body in general pounding into the ground - its just uncomfortable. Plus i hate how my shorts ride everywhere they shouldn't go! I wish they would make an *kitten* and belly bra!! LOL. That stuff needs support too lol!!

Haha I'm sorry i can't help but laugh with you - your post cracked me up, thank you!! Before my booty started shrinking I wanted exactly the same thing to control it!! 3 months in my cardio is geting better, can do 3km comfortably at 9km/h but then need to take a 30 sec walk break. I am upto 10km now (combo of walk/run still!) but it's a combination of really tight hips and mental block that does it for me. But if it didn't take so much out of my body i would do 10km every day! It is so addictive :-)

Good luck!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm not new to running, but am slowly coming back from an injury. This may sound weird but I want to stop or walk, most of the time, because my mind tells me this is too hard. The mental part of running is my biggest challenge. Best of luck to you!

For me, it's mental also. I just WANT to stop. So I do the mental checklist that my hubby shared with me from his Special Forces training days. I ask myself:

Do my lungs hurt or am I REALLY out of breath? No? Keep running.
    Do my legs hurt? No? Keep running.
    Does anything else hurt? No? Keep running.
    Am I overheated and showing signs of heat exhaustion? No? Keep running.

Honestly, I go through this checklist and for me, I don't hit a real reason to quit. It's just my brain getting "bored" but once you've run enough, the walking part that you give in to seems so slow and inefficient that I'll start running again right away just to get done.

When I do have some soreness creeping in, I'll slow my jog dramatically (I could WALK faster) and it always seems to work its way out for me.

But, all of that said, it's critical to start slow!!!!! Give your body a chance to acclimate to this new activity. Jog (don't run) from one telephone pole to the next and then walk one or two. Gradually increase the periods you're running and before you know it, you'll be a runner. Go slow, stretch when you're done, and keep a runner's journal so you're encouraged by the mileage you're accumulating!!! :)
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am all mental when it comes to running. I set my goal before I go out and I run my goal. Only then do I actually allow myself to stop. Even when I was a new runner this is how I functioned. BUT when I was a new runner my goals weren't miles, they were minutes. And it didn't matter how fast I was running as long as I was running (jogging)...if I felt winded I would slow down. I found (and still find) that if I push through the nagging things that make me want to stop (sore muscles) then they stop because I have worked out their issues. If it were a real issue (which I haven't had, knock on wood; ie shin splints, arch pain, achilles, etc) then it may have been different. I have been running for 5 months 4-5 days a week and my running has progressed leaps and bounds. Some days I still set minute goals rather than mile goals (so I can run, just an easier pace), but no matter my attitude going in, once that goal is in my head I have to finish. And I'm always glad when I do! Also, for me, if I stop to walk I may as well jsut stop. It is SO much harder for me to start again once I've walked.....
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    When I first started in January it was my legs. That stopped after a couple of weeks. Now it's somewhere between losing my breath / not breathing properly and the mental game.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just did about 3/4 of Week 1, Day 1 and the breathing is what got to me first. I was afraid I would not make it back home so I only did 3/4 of the program. Being a smoker, I was surprised at how well I actually did. I didn't feel like I was going to die, it was more exhaustion and breathing.
    Maybe I breathe wrong, I know your belly is supposed to extend out when you inhale, indicating your lungs are filling all the way up with air.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've practiced ChiRunning and really learned body sensing. You know when your form is getting bad, when you aren't holding yourself to the standard at which you are still running with good form. You aren't lifting your legs like you should, or holding your pelvis correctly.

I fell face first about three days after a race. I sought the advice of other chi runner's and all of them told me that I was fatigued, that I really needed to be better at body sensing. I worked hard at it and know now each time how each foot hits the ground or how my shoulders effect my feet.
  • Veele_
    Veele_ Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started with zero fitness, therefore I think both were hard. By building up gradually, my endurance and strength has improved greatly.

Some have already mentioned but when starting out or when building up endurance it's important to go slow. Speed does come naturally as you progress but don't ask too much of your body too soon.

A good warm up should also ease any tightness in legs that might cause ache and pain in the legs. Also remember to thoroughly stretch afterwards. If you're prone to tight legs a light warm up followed by light stretching may also help. Your main stretching session should however be done on warm muscles after any exercise.
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    Options
    For me - it's my big belly flapping up and down that hurts. My legs are generally ok - i have small breasts so they're well confined to my sports bra, but the belly bouncing up and down and my body in general pounding into the ground - its just uncomfortable. Plus i hate how my shorts ride everywhere they shouldn't go! I wish they would make an *kitten* and belly bra!! LOL. That stuff needs support too lol!!

Haha I'm sorry i can't help but laugh with you - your post cracked me up, thank you!! Before my booty started shrinking I wanted exactly the same thing to control it!! 3 months in my cardio is geting better, can do 3km comfortably at 9km/h but then need to take a 30 sec walk break. I am upto 10km now (combo of walk/run still!) but it's a combination of really tight hips and mental block that does it for me. But if it didn't take so much out of my body i would do 10km every day! It is so addictive :-)

Good luck!

I train with The Running Room in Canada and our long runs are done by running for 10 minutes and walking 1 minute. I do all my races this way...it is great mentally to know that you have a little break coming up and if you get into racing you can time the walks for at the water stations.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    It would change for me. It used to be that I would get out of breath easily and I had to stop. Not it's usually my muscles fatiguing that does it. Funny enough though, it's usually my arms that get fatigued before my legs. I probably need to work on more upper body strength training.

It's my arms, too! I know it's just because I'm really really trying and causing tension in my upper body that is fatiguing my arms :cry:
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I'm on C25K week 4 (1 more workout), and I definitely start to feel a little out of breath and like my legs get heavier, haha. But it's not so bad that I stop to walk before my time's up. Next week's last workout is all running, so we'll see if I can push thru it!

I'm just one day behind you and i'm nervous about that 20 minute jog as well at the end of week 5
  • ginalhorst
    ginalhorst Posts: 23
    Options
    It really depends on a lot of things- I've been running consistently for over 2 years. That said, sometimes it still hurts- some days my body hurts, and other times I can't breathe as well but I will say that it's rarely my breath anymore. If your calves hurt you probably need to strengthen your quads- those are the muscles that should take the major brunt of the run- if they aren't very strong yet, your calves may do more work than they are ready for too. If you just started running you should run for a minute and walk for a minute or 2 or whatever pattern you want to start with until you strengthen your leg muscles. It's a lot to expect of your legs to just start running without that strength you need.
    I love to dispel the myth that after you run for a long period of time- months, years, it will just be efortless and easy. It's NOT! I still think it is hard and sometimes hurts pretty bad and I wonder why it doesn't ever get easy? Every now and then I'll have just an incredible effortless run but that is almost never. So it's just a kind of discomfort that you learn to work with and each day is different depending on what you've eaten, how you've slept, etc. all the things that make up your life. Good luck and keep at it- and DON"T GIVE UP!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I thought of this thread today while running, and thought of something else.

My bladder. OOF!!!!!!!!! But that's something that makes me WANT to stop, but actually makes me faster. The faster I finish, the sooner I can go to the toilet. :embarassed: But then when I do stop, the urge to pee is gone. Like now... I had to go like a racehorse while I was out, but have been home nearly an hour now and still haven't "gone." And I don't feel the need, either.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I tried to review to see if this has been said but you may simply need to slow down just a bit. Not enough that you are walking but slower than you are trying to run now. Running does not have to be fast (and fast is relative). The other thing to check out - when you are running are you slamming into the ground. If so, lighten your step - consciously try to be light on your feet. This may address the calf issues. Good luck to you.

Thanks for allt he feedback, everyone. I do have running shoes that I had professionally fitted. I do run SLOW - I mean, old ladies doing a speedwalk at the mall would pass me :). And, I try to be light on my feet and have good posture. But, my calves are always crampy! I do stretch before, i eat enough potassium and drink enough water, and I stop during teh middle and stretch too. (And, like I said, I'm only a C25k week 1, so I'm not jogging more than 60 seconds at a time).

Hopefully it gets better in a couple weeks and I can go alittle longer :)
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am all mental when it comes to running. I set my goal before I go out and I run my goal. Only then do I actually allow myself to stop. Even when I was a new runner this is how I functioned. BUT when I was a new runner my goals weren't miles, they were minutes. And it didn't matter how fast I was running as long as I was running (jogging)...if I felt winded I would slow down. I found (and still find) that if I push through the nagging things that make me want to stop (sore muscles) then they stop because I have worked out their issues. If it were a real issue (which I haven't had, knock on wood; ie shin splints, arch pain, achilles, etc) then it may have been different. I have been running for 5 months 4-5 days a week and my running has progressed leaps and bounds. Some days I still set minute goals rather than mile goals (so I can run, just an easier pace), but no matter my attitude going in, once that goal is in my head I have to finish. And I'm always glad when I do! Also, for me, if I stop to walk I may as well jsut stop. It is SO much harder for me to start again once I've walked.....

I think this is realistic when you only have 15-25 pounds to lose. But, when you're like 50-100 pounds overweight and have never been in shape in your life, this just isn't a very realistic. My goal at this point is 60 seconds of running and that is hard. I stop, walk, and then do another 60 second spurt. The C25k App helps me keep gpoing again once I've stopped.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    For me it's running outta breath! Legs are okay, but I get so winded!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Hopefully it gets better in a couple weeks and I can go alittle longer :)
    As long as you keep at it consistently, it will get better very quickly. Then the issue will be not pushing yourself so hard that you overstrain tendons and bones. Those take longer (months) to adapt and become stronger.