Running shoes

Options
Disclaimer, this is not a post asking what shoes I should wear. I know to go to a running store to get fit.

I'm curious about what people run in for shoes.

I won a pair of Karhu Strong 5s. which are stability shoes like my Saucony Guide 7/8s that I also run in.

I used to run in Ascis GT-3000s. And 2 pairs I never should have been in: Nike Pegasus 29s & Adidas Glide 4s. I need stability shoes which is why those last two aren't for me.

But the Karhu rep I won the shoes from was asking me feedback about the shoes. And frankly, I've barely heard of Karhu which is why I'm asking the general forum (plus the LDR group) what you run in.

I'm curious if there are any other Karhu runners...
Thanks!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've never had time in Karhu, so I can't help you there. Why not run in them yourself to get a feel for them?

My current favorites are:
    - Inov-8
    - On
    - Ecco

Honorable mentions to Brooks, New Balance, Mizuno
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Brooks pure cadence. Next pair will be New Balance minimalist.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Funny, I've never even heard of Kahru before. I thought I knew all of the brands. I'm a neutral runner and don't need stability.

I've run in:

Brooks Ghost but had to move on because I was still getting black toenails 1.5 sizes up and 2 sizes was too much in those shoes because the heel slipped.

Mizuno Wave Creation and Wave Rider. I went to Creation after switching from the Brooks shoe and wore those out. I bought another pair when those wore out and wore that pair out, too.

Saucony Ride 7. I tried a pair of these earlier in the year and ended up with a horrible shooting pain that went from the base of my big toe upward sporadically while I was running. I have no idea why that was happening but I took them back and exchanged for a pair of Mizuno Wave Rider 18s.

Asics GT1000. I bought a pair recently at an ASICS outlet store and like them.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I've never had time in Karhu, so I can't help you there. Why not run in them yourself to get a feel for them?

@jacksonpt, I am running in a pair. The Strong 5s. I like them, not as much as my Saucony Guide 7/8s. The Karhus are lighter than the Saouconys have the toe box is a little narrower. But they feel pretty good. Kind of expensive though, 150$ so I'm glad I won them lol. (I would have been given the appropriate pair upon winning, be in the Fast, Strong, etc. They were demo'ing the Strongs that night and it's the kind of shoe I need. I was also lucky that I was able to walk out with them that night since my demo pair was new out of box lol)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Funny, I've never even heard of Kahru before. I thought I knew all of the brands. I'm a neutral runner and don't need stability.

I've run in:

Brooks Ghost but had to move on because I was still getting black toenails 1.5 sizes up and 2 sizes was too much in those shoes because the heel slipped.

Mizuno Wave Creation and Wave Rider. I went to Creation after switching from the Brooks shoe and wore those out. I bought another pair when those wore out and wore that pair out, too. I went back to the store and was refitted just for giggles and I currently have a new pair of Wave Rider 18s.

Asics GT1000. I bought a pair recently at an ASICS outlet store and like them.

Me too!
    I really thought I knew them, at least by name.
    But Karhu has been around for almost 100 years...

Check out Amazon and Runners Warehouse for those Asics btw. They recently rolled out the new model so you might be able to find the old one cheap. We demo'd the GT 2000 3s awhile ago. I wasn't a fan though
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I liked the Saucony Hurricane 15's that I ran in last year, but this time I bought a pair of Hoka One One.

I was leaning toward another pair in the store, but as soon as I put these on, it was like Cinderella's shoe: "This is the one!" It took a couple of runs in them though to really make up my mind, but I do like them.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I haven't run in anything other than Mizunos since high school. Every time I go in for new shoes I try on four or five other brands but they all feel wrong. As soon as I slip on the Mizunos I know I'm buying them.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love my Saucony Kinvara's....started with the 3, then moved to the 4 when it replaced the 3 and now the 5 has replaced the 4....

I've tried other shoes, but so far, for any kind of walking, running or hiking a distance, the Saucony has felt the best. Kinvara for walking, jogging and the Peregrine for anything trail related....
  • littleaudrey85
    littleaudrey85 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was running in Brooks Ghost for a few years and I really liked them. Recently I got fitted and they put me in a pair of Brooks Ravenna. I really like them so far but I haven't ran enough miles in them yet to really know lol.
  • Cinnamonhuskies
    Cinnamonhuskies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Brooks Glycerin
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using the Salomon's XA 3D Ultra 2. Great for the snow and this well below zero temperatures. Feet stay warm and dry. Once the warm temp starts to rise I'll buy the Reebok
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have saucony omni 13. I like them, but they are the only pair of real running shoes I've ever had, so I have no basis for comparison.

During my fitting I tried some Brooks and some Asics, but the saucony felt the best so I got those.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I used to only wears Asics Gel Cumulus until I discovered Hokas. They look ridiculous but they're like running on clouds. I'll never go back lol.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    aarar wrote: »
    I used to only wears Asics Gel Cumulus until I discovered Hokas. They look ridiculous but they're like running on clouds. I'll never go back lol.

I hadn't heard much about Hokas til an MFP pal got them. You are right, they are a little silly looking but I've heard they're very comfy
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Primary - Brooks Ravenna
    Wet/snow - Brooks Ghost GTX (waterproof...brilliant. Except in rain. Then the Gore-Tex backfires and when water gets in the top of the shoe, it doesn't leave.)
    Trail - Saucony Xodus

I like the royal blue in the Saucony lines right now; thinking of taking the Guide or Ride for a spin whenever I can run again.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I used to run in Newtons, but they wear out too quickly for me, and I've gotten the mid-foot strike thing down. So now I run in Brooks Ghost.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I've had two pair of Karhu and got over 500 miles out of each.
  • diegops1
    diegops1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have a very high arch and supinate, so when I found Brooks Ghost shoes a few years ago I stuck with them. They are much better for my feet than anything else I have tried in the past 50 years. Karhu is a Finnish company that makes fantastic xc skis and track spikes. I have never seen their trainers, but they are probably great given the quality of their products that I am aware of. However, no matter how great they are, if they are not the shoe you need then keep looking.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    diegops1 wrote: »
    I have a very high arch and supinate, so when I found Brooks Ghost shoes a few years ago I stuck with them. They are much better for my feet than anything else I have tried in the past 50 years. Karhu is a Finnish company that makes fantastic xc skis and track spikes. I have never seen their trainers, but they are probably great given the quality of their products that I am aware of. However, no matter how great they are, if they are not the shoe you need then keep looking.

They seem to be the shoe for me so far but I've only put 10-ish miles on them so far. But with other shoes, I've figured out if they were right or not on less miles.

This was just a curiousity post since Karhu seems to be the brand that no ones heard of.
    Brooks is just as old and Nike is half the age of Karhu but both are very well known.
  • hoodedvwsam
    hoodedvwsam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wear New Balance 890v4 and they're pretty nice