Juicing

Options

Replies

• JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Wifey and I used to actually juice things, not just make smoothies, and we loved it. We'd juice crazy *kitten* like beets and red cabbage, in addition to more traditional things like apples and oranges and watermelons. I'd do that for breakfast three times a week and it actually kept me fairly full. Getting all of those vitamins gave me a crazy burst of energy and I felt great. You'll never really get anyone on this site to do anything in response to your question other than make fun of you, but as long as you aren't expecting something miraculous, it's worth a shot. Of course, you can just blend your veggies, like kale and whatnot, for your smoothies and you still get the fiber. Plus, you can add protein powder or whatever else you want, so it's not just water and vitamins you're consuming.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    If you're just talking about juicing fruits and vegetables, I wouldn't consider that a meal replacement. I'd do it as a supplement maybe, if it's hard for you to eat your vegetables in the normal course of the day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's the first day I've used it and has helped with fruit and veg intake. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Had juices for breakfast and lunch few healthy snacks inbetween and will have a meal tonight :)

Do watch your protein intake - it's very important when you are losing weight.
    If two of your meals are very low protein it may be difficult to hit your daily protein goal.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Smoothies are yummy but not any better for you. In fact, you are likely to absorb more calories from a smoothie than from solid food.

Umm...huh? no...

In any case, I often have a smoothie for breakfast because it's fast and I can't be bothered in the morning for anything else. I enjoy juicing too (usually a green juice with veggies and lemon, no other fruits...), but never as a meal replacement. I would get too hungry. I don't like being hungry.

• robyngrant739
    robyngrant739 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone just wanted a bit of advice as I'm new to MFP
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Two ways that smoothies can result in more calories;

1. one may end up consuming far more calories than they realize because they are drinking a liquid rather than chewing bites of solid food. Of course not an issue if food is weighed.

2. the calories in the smoothie are more readily absorbed than solid food because the blender in essence predigests the food. The digestive acids and digestive process has less breakdown to accomplish before the intestines can absorb the calories/nutrients into the blood stream.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

1. one may end up consuming far more calories than they realize because they are drinking a liquid rather than chewing bites of solid food. Of course not an issue if food is weighed.

2. the calories in the smoothie are more readily absorbed than solid food because the blender in essence predigests the food. The digestive acids and digestive process has less breakdown to accomplish before the intestines can absorb the calories/nutrients into the blood stream.

1 = The fault is with the person, not with the smoothie.

2 = Calories more readily absorbed does not mean that it has more calories.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

1. If you're on MFP you should be weighing all your food anyway.

2. So it's not that you're absorbing more, it's that you're burning less. A tiny amount less, probably.
  • lkniebuehler
    Options
    Wifey and I used to actually juice things, not just make smoothies, and we loved it. We'd juice crazy *kitten* like beets and red cabbage, in addition to more traditional things like apples and oranges and watermelons. I'd do that for breakfast three times a week and it actually kept me fairly full. Getting all of those vitamins gave me a crazy burst of energy and I felt great. You'll never really get anyone on this site to do anything in response to your question other than make fun of you, but as long as you aren't expecting something miraculous, it's worth a shot. Of course, you can just blend your veggies, like kale and whatnot, for your smoothies and you still get the fiber. Plus, you can add protein powder or whatever else you want, so it's not just water and vitamins you're consuming.

^^^ this ^^^

Im a big smoothie fan. I use it for breakfast with protein powder and stay pretty full. And its a great way to get in all the fruits and veggies you might not get otherwise.

Good luck! There are tons of great recipes out there.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

1. If you're on MFP you should be weighing all your food anyway.

2. So it's not that you're absorbing more, it's that you're burning less. A tiny amount less, probably.

I knew he said number 2 wrong. Number 1 is subjective.
  • rhazzed
    Options
    What is interesting is that everyone has their own plan that works for them, and that is great! I too, find that chewing the food feels more satisfying (more natural too). I too, also found that my magic bullet was awesome for making fruit smoothies it was an awesome way for me to get more fruits in me (wasn't a big fruit eater before). Weighing food was huge for me as my portion control was grossly out of whack. I bought the Microsoft Band, I walk and jog daily and recently bought a incline treadmill for the winter months. I eat (for the most part) correct portions now and I make healthier choices everywhere I go.. I take grilled or baked options, try vegetarian options, cut out ALL sodas, always choose the leanest meat I can find and increased my fish intake. To date I have lost 65 lbs and still going strong. I dropped 5 pant sizes and 3 shirt sizes and my recent physical put all my blood tests perfectly within normal ranges. There isn't 1 magical answer.. it will likely take a combination of ideas and a lot of discipline and you'll be great. MFP is a wonderful app and I don't think I'll ever stop using it... it's been invaluable to me. One think I would suggest to anyone is... don't cut out food groups. I see too many people cut out meats, cut out breads, etc.. and they deprive themselves of so much needed nutrition and they leave themselves craving for foods they love and used to eat and eventually break down and start binge eating them. You CAN eat them (in the correct portions). Keep you diets balanced, healthy and proportional and I promise you'll see positive results. And don't forget... walk! walk! walk! :)

I'm so glad to see people sharing what works for them to help out people that are just starting out and looking for some ideas.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    A sandwich would be good but I cut bread out when trying to lose a few pounds haha

Why? There is nothing wrong with bread.
  • robyngrant739
    Options
    It's not good for you. I'll have the occasional slice but I find it bloats me
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Many, in fact most, do not realize there is a difference in calorie potential and calories absorbed.

Think for a minute about fuel efficiency of cars. Cars get more miles per gallon than years ago. Has the fuel improved? In fact the fuel has gotten worse. The difference is that cars are more efficient at turning the fuel potential output into actual output.

The human body works the same way. I eat one carrot, my body may absorb ten calories, your body may absorb nine, someone else may absorb eleven. It has to do with efficiency of each persons system.

All foods have fuel (calorie) potential but the body does not absorb all that fuel (calories) due to inefficiency. A smoothie is in a way predigested which increases the possibility of more absorption.

That is also how fiber helps us. If you consume a potential 10 calories with fiber, your body will likely absorb less calories than if you consume 10 calories without fiber. That is the downfall of juicing and also of highly processed foods. The fiber is removed which makes the calorie potential more easily absorbed.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Describing something as bad for everyone based on your reaction to it is generally not going to end well around here. Giving up bread is a personal choice and totally okay if that's what you want, but bread is not bad for me and many others here have had success while including it. Keep it or don't, but try to keep the generalizations to a minimum.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    A sandwich would be good but I cut bread out when trying to lose a few pounds haha

Why? There is nothing wrong with bread.

bread hater try to say it causes inflammation.

• robyngrant739
    Options
    It's well known that it's not good for you obviously there are worse things to eat but wholemeal pitta or wraps are a better choice
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

To be brutally honest, this shows that you listen more to what pseudo science tells you than anything else. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bread. It is not bad for you (unless there is a medical condition where you need to avoid it).
  • robyngrant739
    Options
    Difference of opinion then. The point I was making was there are better options than bread that's all
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    It's well known that it's not good for you obviously there are worse things to eat but wholemeal pitta or wraps are a better choice

You have been misinformed.

Nothing wrong with bread unless you are celiac or need to watch carbs for medical reasons.