"Clean" eating vs. Moderation- what works for you?

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    jvt63 wrote: »
    People who like to label themselves as "clean" eaters are essentially the same as the IIFYMers. However, the label makes them feel so much better about themselves and a lot of times is used to make themselves feel superior to others.

This is such absolute *kitten*.

How, exactly?

A lot of the "clean" eaters I know feel somehow morally superior to the "dirty" eaters in their lives. It's nauseating.
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh yes...people who like to eat whole foods just think they are SO MUCH BETTER than other people.

It's a CHOICE. Choose to eat what YOU want to eat. I'll choose what I want to eat. And we can all lose weight TOGETHER, EACH EATING WHAT WE LIKE TO EAT.
  • Mapes84
    Mapes84 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for sharing so much awesome insight! I am re-evaluating the way I have been looking at things. I have basically reached a point where I can barely enjoy any of the foods I love because I feel so much guilt surrounding the few times I have allowed myself to indulge. There are very few foods in my pantry that I inherently enjoy. Everything I buy is based on nutrition/macros/ingredients. And as I said before, it's getting me nowhere in terms of my goals. I think some readjusting of my philosophy is in order.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Oh yes...people who like to eat whole foods just think they are SO MUCH BETTER than other people.

It's a CHOICE. Choose to eat what YOU want to eat. I'll choose what I want to eat. And we can all lose weight TOGETHER, EACH EATING WHAT WE LIKE TO EAT.

why are you yelling?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

*Fingers in ears* Why are you yelling?
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I eat clean most of the time, but in the beginning I had to do it ALL the time until my body learned how to deal with not eating processed overly sweet/savory/salty foods. I am down 40 pounds and I only recently have learned to start adding small treats back into my day. I don't usually have a lot of calories left over, but if I do from some awesome exercise then I will eat ONE piece of quality dark chocolate and/or some red wine. I just feel like clean foods help me stay full longer and offer me more nutrition. When you only have so many calories to work with, that beats out eating less-clean foods. The more processed it is the ickier and more bloated I feel if I have too much so there is another reason to stay in small amounts (if not away completely). However if I can't have a homemade gingerbread cookie every once and a while - that is sad.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Mapes84 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for sharing so much awesome insight! I am re-evaluating the way I have been looking at things. I have basically reached a point where I can barely enjoy any of the foods I love because I feel so much guilt surrounding the few times I have allowed myself to indulge. There are very few foods in my pantry that I inherently enjoy. Everything I buy is based on nutrition/macros/ingredients. And as I said before, it's getting me nowhere in terms of my goals. I think some readjusting of my philosophy is in order.
    I'm glad to hear that you will re-evaluate and possibly adjust you philosopy. Open mindedness is a cool thing :) Good luck!

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why are you yelling?

6624e37c93855e11f50fd741d19293df1a4545cd99ba6668091735fde358c6fe.jpg
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Mapes84 wrote: »

well, you should still be able to fit some ice cream, cookies etc into your daily micro/macro goal...I know I do ...

I guess this would also dependent what your daily calorie allotment is...

my diary is open, feel free to browse it for ideas...
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Trying to think of the most non-offensive way to put this so pre-apologies if I offend, truly not meaning to do so.

From my time on MFP I have personally noticed:
    Those who solely preach just the moderation aspect, like the "I eat fast food 3 times a week but under my caloric yada yada..." seem to be in reasonably ok shape. They are usually healthy, good head on their shoulders and so on. It seems a good mix of people who were once overweight and fought their way back and some that have just been actively maintaining for years and so on. Good people, great advice, great support for people actively trying to lose weight but body type is usually 'meh.

I just haven't met many in this camp with the body type or competition accomplishments that really impress or inspire me.

I have found the people that I do really look up to and reach out for advice and instruction both preach moderation but put most of their emphasis on clean eating. Not so much that they have to get organic everything but more in terms of packing as much nutritional value as possible into every single calorie they digest. Like, they make their pizza at home instead of buying papa john's. They don't eat fast food except on very rare occasions and so on. They plain out do not eat food designed to have an extended shelf life. It is either fresh or they do not consume it (with the exception of workout supplements.)

So, yeah, in short, it's the clean eaters (people who do not consume designer food is my definition) that have always impressed me and have the results I want. I am striving to be more like them and find that I overall feel better when I do.

Just my 2 cents, doesn't mean much but there it is.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    People who like to label themselves as "clean" eaters are essentially the same as the IIFYMers. However, the label makes them feel so much better about themselves and a lot of times is used to make themselves feel superior to others.

This is such absolute *kitten*.

That entitlement goes both ways. Search for how many threads talking about giving something up have a reply along the lines of "lol" or "no" on the first page.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    BioQueen wrote: »
    I eat clean most of the time, but in the beginning I had to do it ALL the time until my body learned how to deal with not eating processed overly sweet/savory/salty foods. I am down 40 pounds and I only recently have learned to start adding small treats back into my day. I don't usually have a lot of calories left over, but if I do from some awesome exercise then I will eat ONE piece of quality dark chocolate and/or some red wine. I just feel like clean foods help me stay full longer and offer me more nutrition. When you only have so many calories to work with, that beats out eating less-clean foods. The more processed it is the ickier and more bloated I feel if I have too much so there is another reason to stay in small amounts (if not away completely). However if I can't have a homemade gingerbread cookie every once and a while - that is sad.

f799e0360fe7d5a2_Pizza.gif
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    Trying to think of the most non-offensive way to put this so pre-apologies if I offend, truly not meaning to do so.

Those who solely preach just the moderation aspect, like the "I eat fast food 3 times a week but under my caloric yada yada..." seem to be in reasonably ok shape . They are usually healthy, good head on their shoulders and so on. It seems a good mix of people who were once overweight and fought their way back and some that have just been actively maintaining for years and so on. Good people, great advice, great support for people actively trying to lose weight but body type is usually 'meh.

I just haven't met many in this camp with the body type or competition accomplishments that really impress or inspire me.

I have found the people that I do really look up to and reach out for advice and instruction both preach moderation but put most of their emphasis on clean eating. Not so much that they have to get organic everything but more in terms of packing as much nutritional value as possible into every single calorie they digest. Like, they make their pizza at home instead of buying papa john's. They don't eat fast food except on very rare occasions and so on. They plain out do not eat food designed to have an extended shelf life. It is either fresh or they do not consume it (with the exception of workout supplements.)

So, yeah, in short, it's the clean eaters (people who do not consume designer food is my definition) that have always impressed me and have the results I want. I am striving to be more like them and find that I overall feel better when I do.

LOL

ETA: Noticed you changed your photo real quick like. LOL
  • ndj1979
    Options

Those who solely preach just the moderation aspect, like the "I eat fast food 3 times a week but under my caloric yada yada..." seem to be in reasonably ok shape. They are usually healthy, good head on their shoulders and so on. It seems a good mix of people who were once overweight and fought their way back and some that have just been actively maintaining for years and so on. Good people, great advice, great support for people actively trying to lose weight but body type is usually 'meh.

LOL ..

OK - so your experience invalidates everyone elses?

I have plenty of people on my friends list that eat some fast food, but they hit their macros/micors/calorie goal and are absolutely shredded...

conversely - the ones that are always complaining about restricting food seem to be in the worst shape and binge the most... < see what I did there...
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yep, they read some article about certain foods causing inflammation and BAM, they're bloated after eating said food. And omg they feel soooo much better since cutting it out. Clearly that particular food is the root of all evil.

I also have to wonder about the magical food that doesn't bother them when it's organic, even though the store-bought, commercial version will "tear up" their insides. Come on, people. It's an egg or an apple or a cut of beef. A "yard egg" (as we call them around here) will taste and digest the same way as an egg from the grocery store or from Walmart. I've had both on my counter and in my food at the same time and cannot tell the difference except for color and firmness of the white as it comes out of the shell.

Maybe for you, but they definitely are not the same. I can tell when there is egg in food I've eaten because of how my body reacts. But there are a bunch of yard eggs I can't have either. I've actually only found 2 local sources of eggs that I can eat without a problem (one is non-gmo fed, the other is fed regular layer feed). I don't know why, but I do know that they're not the same.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

why are you yelling?

6624e37c93855e11f50fd741d19293df1a4545cd99ba6668091735fde358c6fe.jpg

Arf
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options

lol there is definitely room for pizza, but I would rather make my own English Muffin pizzas instead ;)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Basically what I got from this is that preservatives somehow inhibit muscle gainz.

K.
  • ndj1979
    Options

lol there is definitely room for pizza, but I would rather make my own English Muffin pizzas instead ;)

I am just messing around..

and I really wanted to use that Jennifer Lawerence gif.... :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

tumblr_nf00ujnjAC1rrb9xco2_500.gif
This discussion has been closed.