There is sugar in lowfat milk????????

Options

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    mom2aeg03 wrote: »
    That's the thing that worries me. I am addicted to sugar. I try VERY hard to eat low sugar. When I realized how much sugar was in milk, I was stunned. But, I guess the fact that I am taking in calcium is good for me. I will just have to remember to watch myself the rest of the day. :(

I know it might feel like you are, but trust me when I say you're not really addicted to sugar.

You might find it hard to moderate your consumption of sugary snacks. That's because many things with high added sugar content -- candy, cookies, sweets, etc. -- can be high calorie without making you "feel full" the way fat and protein do. I know how you feel. I used to be able to sit and mindlessly eat an entire box of cookies without even realizing it.

But it's not an addiction in the physical sense in the way you mean. It's psychological, not physiological. And consuming sugar in moderate amounts from healthy sources like fruit or dairy won't trigger it, because you were never in the habit of consuming ridiculously large quantities of milk. Even a bit of sugar from sweets isn't a bad thing either; just learn to moderate the quantity, and you'll be fine.

Sugar isn't the devil. You don't have to cut it out to lose weight. Just eat fewer calories than you burn, and aim for a healthy balance of macros.
  • marysamezz
    marysamezz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    lactose is a sugar...drink unsweetened almond milk!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Oh lawdy...
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    marysamezz wrote: »

Why would she need do to that?

Nothing wrong with almond milk if that's what you enjoy. But there's no reason whatsoever to cut out cow's milk unless someone is doing it for medical (e.g. allergy) or philosophical (e.g. vegan) reasons. Almond milk is not inherently healthier than cow's milk, nor does it make you lose weight any quicker.
  • nelliepigs
    nelliepigs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me, I try and limit added sugars, not naturally occurring sugars such as those contained in milk and fruit. I like milk so I am going to continue to use it as I don't really care for almond/soy/rice types of milk. Most of the nutrition articles you read will tell you to limit added sugars :) I've posted an article about naturally occurring sugars and added sugars below from the American Heart Association. Good luck!

https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    marysamezz wrote: »

Why would she need do to that?

Nothing wrong with almond milk if that's what you enjoy. But there's no reason whatsoever to cut out cow's milk unless someone is doing it for medical (e.g. allergy) or philosophical (e.g. vegan) reasons. Almond milk is not inherently healthier than cow's milk, nor does it make you lose weight any quicker.

Not to mention almond milk is not really milk at all. I really wish they'd call this stuff "fortified almond juice."
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Just because a particular type of milk (2% in this case) has less fat doesn't imply that there is also less sugar. I switched to almond milk and I'll never go back (other than for cheese).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you're so concerned about sugars?

I swapped mine out for fibre tracking
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    This post makes me so sad :(

Off to have my breakfast of 200 g strawberries with 3/4 c. skim milk, 1 T half & half cream, and 2 t of sugar! 182 calories, 34 carbs, 7 protein, 3 fat (I don't know how many grams of sugar, I stopped tracking that after my first month)
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    ....That's the big lie about low fat milk. When friends of mine were doing Atkins, they pointed out the protein/fat/sugar ratios in whole milk, lowfat milk and skim milk.

As a general rule, if the food industry takes out something (fat) they replace it with something else (sugar).

Fail! Lies! Stop spreading misinformation. All milk naturally has sugar. Even human milk, as I posted above. That doesn't mean that OTHER processed products advertised as low-fat don't have sugar added, but milk isn't one of them.

As noted elsewhere above, the sugar level is higher because the fat has been removed, which changes the ratios.

I never said sugar was added to milk. I said to check the ratios of protein/fat/sugar.

As a side note, I observed that generally speaking the trade-off of low fat was higher sugar.

You're still wrong.
  • gmax69
    gmax69 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's why it's such a good recovery drink after hard workouts.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ....That's the big lie about low fat milk. When friends of mine were doing Atkins, they pointed out the protein/fat/sugar ratios in whole milk, lowfat milk and skim milk.

As a general rule, if the food industry takes out something (fat) they replace it with something else (sugar).

Fail! Lies! Stop spreading misinformation. All milk naturally has sugar. Even human milk, as I posted above. That doesn't mean that OTHER processed products advertised as low-fat don't have sugar added, but milk isn't one of them.

As noted elsewhere above, the sugar level is higher because the fat has been removed, which changes the ratios.

I never said sugar was added to milk. I said to check the ratios of protein/fat/sugar.

As a side note, I observed that generally speaking the trade-off of low fat was higher sugar.
    So they should... somehow... use...less... lactose?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    mom2aeg03 wrote: »
    I am learning quite a bit and it's wonderful! I was just surprised by this one. I usually have a cup of milk either with my sugar free hot chocolate or with my oatmeal. It kills me that I am using up 12 grams of my daily allowed sugar right off the bat.

Thank you to everyone for your responses!

Are you concerned that drinking milk is bad for you? Are you diabetic? Why are you so concerned with your sugar intake?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    There is sugar in ALL milk - it's kinda part of, y'know, feeding babies: what milk evolved to do, right?
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This gif sums up how I feel about this thread:

giphy.gif
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power.

That's the big lie about low fat milk. When friends of mine were doing Atkins, they pointed out the protein/fat/sugar ratios in whole milk, lowfat milk and skim milk.

For me, higher protein and lower sugar are more important than fat content; your mileage may vary.

I don't think sugar is actually added to lower fat milks. The percentage naturally would change once fat is removed. Protein is not lower in lower fat milks.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    There's the same amount of sugar and protein in all of the respective milk types -non-fat, 2% and whole. Give or take maybe 1 gram difference which I think just depends on the brand - you can pretty much pick up a cup of milk and know it's gonna have 12/13 g sugar and 8/9 g protein regardless of how much fat it has. Plain yogurt has even more sugar, I usually see 14/15 g. Just be aware. Choose low sugar dairy products if you want...cottage cheese and regular non-fat cheese don't have so much sugar. Or get a low-fat whey protein powder - my Dymatize has 1.5 g fat, 7 g carbs, 4 g sugar I think. Not bad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is disappointingly low in protein - 1g per 1 cup.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Almond milk is disappointingly low in protein - 1g per 1 cup.

But it's so much healthier because of the sugars!!!

/sarcasm
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    nelliepigs wrote: »
    For me, I try and limit added sugars, not naturally occurring sugars such as those contained in milk and fruit. I like milk so I am going to continue to use it as I don't really care for almond/soy/rice types of milk. Most of the nutrition articles you read will tell you to limit added sugars :) I've posted an article about naturally occurring sugars and added sugars below from the American Heart Association. Good luck!

https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp

And they are all wrong.

So far today;

38g carbs in 2 crumpets
    26g in my maple syrup
    28g in my 3 bean chili
    13g in a minneola orange
    13g in a key lime greek yogurt

and I have penciled in 29g for my beer this evening.

So we have sucrose, lactose, fructose and maltose..............please point to the one that's bad for me and that I should restrict?