Bananas? Good ? Bad?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    There's nothing bad about a banana unless it's turned all mushy/brown/black.

yuck! I eat a banana everyday. But they have to be greeny yellow, no brown/black thankyou :wink: . I keep mine in the fridge, the peel goes brown but the inside stays the same

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Green bananas give me indigestion. When they are soft and nearly mushy, they're at their best. Much more flavor. If they get brown and mushy, I freeze it and later add it to my protein shake when I have to eat on the run. But, as most people have said, if you don't like them and don't want to eat them, there are plenty of other things you can eat that you do like with about the same amount of calories.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    crys_todd wrote: »
    I'm the same way. There is a very small window of opportunity for me with bananas. They have to be just turned yellow with traces of green still on the peel. Absolutely no brown spots.
    Thankfully that limits me to one a week since there is generally only one day in which they are perfect.

This is me, too.
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Not to sound dumb.. I feel like the whole banana thing is confusing. I heard eating them while trying to lose weight is both good and bad. I'm not a large fan of the fruit but I am curious. I do like them in my oatmeal occasionally. I don't find them very filling. In fact I feel hungrier after I eat them. If anyone has a clue if I should add them to my diet daily or weekly please share. Thanks!

Here's the the thing: There is no go or bad.
    It is only about how food fits into your day/ your plan.

Maybe think of it like money. Is it worth it to you to spend the 121 calories on a banana or would your rather spend the 124 calories on one and a half cups of frozen blueberries?
    Or maybe 143 calories for one and a half tablespoons of peanut butter?
    It is up to you.
    I had one banana last night and it was o.k. because I had not had one lately but I probably will not have another again for a while because they are not usually one of my "go to foods" and I have some nice strawberries in the fridge for tonight's fruit.
    So if the banana works for you in your oatmeal, by all means, eat it.
    If it is not worth the calories to you, eat something else instead.

Great advice. This is how I think of it, too. Your calories are your money; you can spend them any way you like, but you can't spend more than you have.
    I can't say for sure but think about it this way, if you had to choose between eating chocolates or chips....100% sure your better with the banana :p
    I'd pick the chocolate

Me too, most likely. :)
  • dianefisher1947
    dianefisher1947 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I can't say for sure but think about it this way, if you had to choose between eating chocolates or chips....100% sure your better with the banana :p

Why? If you've already hit your macros for the day, a banana can be more calories than a square or two of chocolate, which would put you over your deficit.

@ arditarose....sorry this has nothing to do with my comment, just comparing which would be better out of the 3
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Why? If you've already hit your macros for the day, a banana can be more calories than a square or two of chocolate, which would put you over your deficit.

@ arditarose....sorry this has nothing to do with my comment, just comparing which would be better out of the 3

It has everything to do with your comment. I'm asking you why the banana would be better?
  • dianefisher1947
    dianefisher1947 Posts: 35 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

In what context?

@Odesangel....this was just a comment saying that the banana would be a better choice , if she had to make a choice...no context
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

In what context?

@Odesangel....this was just a comment saying that the banana would be a better choice , if she had to make a choice...no context
    Why would it be better of the three?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Maybe she just really likes bananas.
  • arditarose
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Oh yeah. Dianefisher do you just really love bananas?
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Never eat a yellow banana, its pure starch. Always eat it when it has brown spots, then its pure carb!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Then it would not be better for arditarose, who is anti-banana.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Never eat a yellow banana, its pure starch. Always eat it when it has brown spots, then its pure carb!

Wat?
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    There's nothing bad about a banana unless it's turned all mushy/brown/black.

yuck! I eat a banana everyday. But they have to be greeny yellow, no brown/black thankyou :wink: . I keep mine in the fridge, the peel goes brown but the inside stays the same

Good stuff Christine!!!! Agreed, they keep well in the fridge. I freeze mine the minute I get them so I can turn them into smoothies. Then they keep even longer!

I would say time it - I eat them before a workout for energy - you can do before and after - that's really what they are great for - instant energy/replenishment. That way you are utilizing their nutrient densities in the proper context.
  • arditarose
    Options

Then it would not be better for arditarose, who is anti-banana.

Yep. Would rather eat a small piece of meat, any vegetable, and ounce or so of cheese, a couple squares of chocolate. The list goes on.
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options

It has everything to do with your comment. I'm asking you why the banana would be better?

Why do you care so much? Are we not allowed to share on here? Move on.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

LOL!!!

OP, I eat a banana every single day and I have lost 121 pounds and been maintaining for almost 6 months now.....Ohhh and I haven't grown any horns yet. ;)
  • arditarose
    Options
    EAsh84 wrote: »

Oooh. I have only been yelled at like two times. Thank you.
  • arditarose
    Options

And, I do care. I actually want to know why it's the better choice. Perhaps I'm missing something.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Not to sound dumb.. I feel like the whole banana thing is confusing. I heard eating them while trying to lose weight is both good and bad. I'm not a large fan of the fruit but I am curious. I do like them in my oatmeal occasionally. I don't find them very filling. In fact I feel hungrier after I eat them. If anyone has a clue if I should add them to my diet daily or weekly please share. Thanks!

Here's the the thing: There is no go or bad.
    It is only about how food fits into your day/ your plan.

Maybe think of it like money. Is it worth it to you to spend the 121 calories on a banana or would your rather spend the 124 calories on one and a half cups of frozen blueberries?
    Or maybe 143 calories for one and a half tablespoons of peanut butter?
    It is up to you.
    I had one banana last night and it was o.k. because I had not had one lately but I probably will not have another again for a while because they are not usually one of my "go to foods" and I have some nice strawberries in the fridge for tonight's fruit.
    So if the banana works for you in your oatmeal, by all means, eat it.
    If it is not worth the calories to you, eat something else instead.

I love the money comparison! Makes good sense, maybe this will start helping me in a new way. How I want to spend my $$cals$$ each day and on what. How far will they go if I pick one thing over another.

Thanks!

• UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Oooh. I have only been yelled at like two times. Thank you.

I didn't realize I hit the caps lock key.