Now you got this song in my head!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    EAsh84 wrote: »
    I can't say for sure but think about it this way, if you had to choose between eating chocolates or chips....100% sure your better with the banana :p

Why? If you've already hit your macros for the day, a banana can be more calories than a square or two of chocolate, which would put you over your deficit.

@ arditarose....sorry this has nothing to do with my comment, just comparing which would be better out of the 3

It has everything to do with your comment. I'm asking you why the banana would be better?

Why do you care so much? Are we not allowed to share on here? Move on.

And, I do care. I actually want to know why it's the better choice. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Probably because it is more nutrient dense than a couple squares of chocolate? ?
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My dad was getting really weird hand cramps this summer during work (he works under very hot conditions where he gets really sweaty because it's physical. He would have to drink 64+ ounces of water each day). His hands/fingers would seize up and he couldn't move them unaided. We thought it may have been an electrolyte imbalance, but we're not doctors of course.

Anyway, he began to eat a banana in the morning each day and it seems the potassium has helped, as the hand cramps stopped after he began eating the bananas and taking a multivitamin. I can't guarantee that it was the bananas that fixed him, but that aside, he legitimately enjoys his bananas now. They can easily be incorporated into a normal day's worth of food as a snack or part of a meal.

If you like the way bananas taste, eat them B)

ETA: I'm not the biggest banana fan. Every once in a while, sure, but I'd rather be eating other stuff.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Never eat a yellow banana, its pure starch. Always eat it when it has brown spots, then its pure carb!

@johnnylakis how did you come up with this?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I can't say for sure but think about it this way, if you had to choose between eating chocolates or chips....100% sure your better with the banana :p

Why? If you've already hit your macros for the day, a banana can be more calories than a square or two of chocolate, which would put you over your deficit.

@ arditarose....sorry this has nothing to do with my comment, just comparing which would be better out of the 3

It has everything to do with your comment. I'm asking you why the banana would be better?

And, I do care. I actually want to know why it's the better choice. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Probably because it is more nutrient dense than a couple squares of chocolate? ?

I guess. But it's a generalization. Especially since the OP said that bananas do not fill her up. I eat dark chocolate and it helps me hit my fat macros.
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Come on. I am all for IIFYM, and I eat whatever, but I think we all know that a banana is a little better *nutrition wise* than candy or chips.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Never eat a yellow banana, its pure starch. Always eat it when it has brown spots, then its pure carb!

@johnnylakis how did you come up with this?

I don't know about the carb vs. starch but the darker the banana the sweeter it is and the higher the GI factor it becomes.

I say brown bananas for baking :p
    yummy yellow (not completely firm but NO brown spots please :# ) for eating ;)
  • arditarose
    Options

Come on. I am all for IIFYM, and I eat whatever, but I think we all know that a banana is a little better *nutrition wise* than candy or chips.

Eh, to each his own. I get my fiber, potassium, vitamin C, etc in my day already. So I'd prefer something more filling, or some chocolate for dessert.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    go for it, if you can find decent ones this time of year. i just went to three stores in search of bananas. green AND rotting. brilliant.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Oooh. I have only been yelled at like two times. Thank you.

I didn't realize I hit the caps lock key.

I didn't yell nor did I see the caps, nor would I yell if saw the caps. It's all about bananas at the moment. :D Just sayin...
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Never eat a yellow banana, its pure starch. Always eat it when it has brown spots, then its pure carb![/quote

Aaaaand here comes Johnny straight outta left field!!
  • arditarose
    Options
    OP, if banana is not filling to you and as you say literally "makes you feel hungrier", than it may not be the best choice for you. Take a look at the nutrients and see if you are getting enough of everything. If not, maybe a banana once in awhile could help.
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Eh, to each his own. I get my fiber, potassium, vitamin C, etc in my day already. So I'd prefer something more filling, or some chocolate for dessert.

OK, cool. You asked though "why the banana would be better?", and I'm telling you that it would be the better choice nutritionally. I would probably eat chocolate or brownies, or cake too, but a banana would be a better nutritional choice if I was trying to eat healthy instead of just eat.
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana most days. I also eat an apple most days. and popcorn! Not together though, most of the time.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

No, please explain.
  • arditarose
    edited February 2015
    Options

OK, cool. You asked though "why the banana would be better?", and I'm telling you that it would be the better choice nutritionally. I would probably eat chocolate or brownies, or cake too, but a banana would be a better nutritional choice if I was trying to eat healthy instead of just eat.

I'm sorry, I'm really anti-banana lol. Unless it's on a peanut butter sandwich, which I would have to make a lot of room for in my deficit.

Also, it's not really a better choice nutritionally if you've met all your macros for the day. You don't get extra credit for getting more.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Bananas are awesome. I've lost 16 pounds in the last 50 plus days eating a banana almost every single day. Bananas are a healthy choice with lots of potassium, cholesterol-lowering plant sterols and fiber. Plus, they are a great choice for cyclists and other athletes who need a boost during exercise. But if I didn't like them and they didn't make me feel good, I wouldn't eat them.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    one thing is, bananas give you potassium, so if you're having cramps or whatever it could help. though there are are other options http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/foods-high-in-potassium

also, they can help out with wonky guts.

but if you don't like them, don't eat them. (it's not like you can find good ones now anyway.)
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Oooh. I have only been yelled at like two times. Thank you.

I didn't realize I hit the caps lock key.

I didn't yell nor did I see the caps, nor would I yell if saw the caps. It's all about bananas at the moment. :D Just sayin...