Gym Recommendations?

tylernicolee_93
tylernicolee_93 Posts: 5
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Which gym do you go to? I'm interested in getting a membership since I can't stay motivated at home. Thanks yall!

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    the one that's closest to your home or work. that's the best one, always
  • Okay great! Makes sense! Lol kinda feel dumb for asking lol :#
  • tomatoey
    no don't! i've been caught up in gym promos, layout, whatever. in the end, for me, because i just do regular workouts and not something special like boxing or martial arts, the thing that makes the biggest difference is just being able to go there on days you know you don't feel like it. minimal obstacles is my whole approach to weight loss :)
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    edited February 2015
    Just be sure to take a tour before buying in to verify that they have all the equipment you'll need and make sure you're down with their policies. Otherwise, I'm seconding that the most convenient gym is the gym for you!
  • Thanks eveyone! I'm so excited to start something new! All of yalls advice is great and it inspires me more! I've been trying to work out at home, but I have this horrible mind set of "if I'm home, I can slack off." So I need to get out. And maybe I can meet people and we can push eachother!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Planet Fitness!
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    I had to change gyms because mine shut when I was looking for another gym I looked at 2.. I went with the one with more classes and a bigger studio because I do more classes than anything else ;) think you need to go with what gym works for you not necessarily the closest to home..
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »

Easy there, tex
  • tomatoey
    DavPul wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »

Easy there, tex

Ok maybe not everyone is as lazy as I am, I'll concede that. But I bet a lot are.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited February 2015
    Different gyms can have different atmospheres, much like restaurants. Some feel like a singles bar and others like something out of a 50s noir boxing movie. Assumming that you have some reasonably proximate choices, take some tours and get a feel. I opted for a Lifetime Fitness that is 5 or so miles further away than a host of other options, but it felt more comfortable than others. I'm pleased so far, though they are damnably efficient at separating me from my money.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    See what is available near you and visit to see how you like it. Not every gym works for everyone. Also visit at an hour/day when you woudl normally go, to see how it feels then. A place might look awesome e.g. in the morning, and so crowded you can barely do anything in the evening.
  • I love planet fitness..at first i went there because of their cheap $10mo no contract ads :-P since im shy and thought i wouldnt last a week but im hooked now. Very comfortable atmosphere, good luck finding what works for you :-)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Stay away from the chains with high pressure salespeople that push long contracts.

The cost efficient options are places like the YWCA, local Jewish centers, and community recreation centers. My community owned rec center is $32 per month and I only join November - March for the benefit of an place in from the weather.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Different gyms have different uses.
    What are your goals? Do you want a personal trainer? Do you want 24 hour access? Do you want classes? What gyms are close to where you live and/or work?

I have three memberships.
    - I have a membership at Anytime Fitness. This gives me 24 hour access to gyms around the country. The one close to my house recently expanded and now has three power racks. This is where I go to lift weights.
    - I am also a member at a crossfit box. I go about 3 times per week, focusing on the other modalities (mobility, speed, stamina, balance). When I’m traveling, I’ll usually drop in on a box.
    - I also have a membership at a big box style gym close to my office (I live an hour away). My work pays half the fee, and I like having a gym I can hit during the day.

My goals are clear, and I use each gym for a particular purpose and based on convenience.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Stay away from the chains with high pressure salespeople that push long contracts.

The cost efficient options are places like the YWCA, local Jewish centers, and community recreation centers. My community owned rec center is $32 per month and I only join November - March for the benefit of an place in from the weather.

I forgot to mention that many hospitals also operate fitness centers open to the public at a very reasonable cost.

• foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    +1 on the idea of going to the gym closest to your home. Just ensure they have the equipment you'll need and go with that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I go to a locally owned community gym that is primarily geared towards weight lifting. It is a 24/7 facility and costs $35/month.

When selecting a gym, you really need to consider YOUR needs and your GOALS.

The only thing I really use the gym for is lifting and I'm an Oly lifter...so my options are limited as I need a gym with an Oly platform and bumper plates and a client base that doesn't wet their pants when weights hit the floor or when someone grunts a little when they pick up something heavy.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,556 Member
    You've gotten some great advice here. I belong to a YMCA that is about 3 miles from home vs a lifestyle that is half a mile because I like the vibe, class offerings, class times and people better. I also belong to a golf club that has a fitness center and I go there as my last resort. I hate cardio machines, their classes aren't convenient for me and it's a small free weight area. But when all I have time for is a quick 30 minute workout , it helps that it's .25 miles away. I'm with you though on not working out at home. Always way too many distractions!
  • Dil_Singh
    Dil_Singh Posts: 3 Member
    Best: Lifetime Fitness. Worst: 24 hr Fitness. (based on personal experience)
  • tmoser512
    tmoser512 Posts: 28 Member
    I think you should pick one that you will actually go to. In my personal experience, the closest gym isn't the one I went to. I signed on with the gym closest to my home and went maybe 8 times during my contract term. Now I drive half an hour to a camp because I do much better when I have to go at a specific time or I'll miss my workout.