Is a spiralizer a useful kitchen tool, or just a gimmick? Do you use yours often?

Options

Replies

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I like mine, and bought one for my daughter. I like the small "zoodles" of zucchini, for salads and soups.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Sorry, OP, I don't have a spiralizer but it's a sorry state of affairs when you have to justify eating "fad" whole foods. lol Crazy times!

Eating whole foods is not a fad. Eating ONLY whole foods, to the explicit exclusion of everything else, is.

Eating whole foods only might be a " fad " for the average American, but it is not for millions of people on the rest of the planet.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I still enjoy my pasta but mixing half zoodles with regular spaghetti noodles bulks it up and gives it flavor also. I enjoy it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have a Vegetti and love it. I pretty much mainly use mine to make zucchini noodles. I use those (I saute them) to bulk out a serving of the regular pasta I eat, particularly when I'm feeling really hungry. I end up with a HUGE bowl of pasta for very few calories.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I'm not on any vegan, paleo, vegetarian, whole food, or other fad diet. But I recognize a few things. For one, like most Western diets, mine does not include enough vegetables and I need to eat more fibre. Two, on my calories restricted diet, I am eating smaller volumes/masses of food, which can be less satisfying - vegetables add bulk. And three, pasta is just not that good for you!

For anyone with a spiralizer, do you use it regularly, what do you make with it, and what models do you recommend (pros/cons)?

I was given one maybe 10-12 years back and have never used it. For me zucchini cut in spirals are still just zucchini and even if I would cut them in spirals, I know that they won't magically turn into spaghetti. I think the gadget is to enhance food visually and if you like that kind of thing and especially if it gets you to eat more vegetables, by all means buy one and use it often.
    But at the same time I personally think there ought to be other ways to self-motivate to eat healthier.
    And also, I have to disagree; pasta is neither good, nor bad. It's food that you can chose to enjoy ( if you can eat pasta ) in moderation , or chose to overdo it. As always, it's all up to you/us.
    Good Luck !

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I was given a vegetti by a friend, used it once and thought it was definitely not worth the time and effort. The only reason I haven't thrown it out was because I didn't want to offend the friend but it definitely doesn't get used.
    I also don't try to recreate pasta with vegetables, I personally don't mind just putting pasta sauce on a bowl of veggies and meatballs.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I was fortunate enough to have a friend that let me borrow hers before I committed to buying one. I do love mine and use it regularly but it's one of those "your mileage may very" things. I eat A LOT of vegetables and love zucchini noodles with an unholy passion so mine's been worth the purchase. If I die, my husband should just give it to one of our kids because he will never, ever use the thing. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    I'm not on any vegan, paleo, vegetarian, whole food, or other fad diet. But I recognize a few things. For one, like most Western diets, mine does not include enough vegetables and I need to eat more fibre. Two, on my calories restricted diet, I am eating smaller volumes/masses of food, which can be less satisfying - vegetables add bulk. And three, pasta is just not that good for you!

For anyone with a spiralizer, do you use it regularly, what do you make with it, and what models do you recommend (pros/cons)?

I was given one maybe 10-12 years back and have never used it. For me zucchini cut in spirals are still just zucchini and even if I would cut them in spirals, I know that they won't magically turn into spaghetti. I think the gadget is to enhance food visually and if you like that kind of thing and especially if it gets you to eat more vegetables, by all means buy one and use it often.
    But at the same time I personally think there ought to be other ways to self-motivate to eat healthier.
    And also, I have to disagree; pasta is neither good, nor bad. It's food that you can chose to enjoy ( if you can eat pasta ) in moderation , or chose to overdo it. As always, it's all up to you/us.
    Good Luck !

Who said pasta was good or bad?
  • tabrewis
    tabrewis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We got our spiralizer on sale on Amazon for $29 and love it! Our favorites are the "zoodles" zucchini noodles (former pastaholics here) and my son loves having "curly fries" -- sweet potatoes we sprialize and then bake. In fact, he'd rather have them than McD's fries, which says a lot for an 11-year old! ;-)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Good Luck !

The OP, sorta:
    And three, pasta is just not that good for you!
  • RainyDaysAgain
    RainyDaysAgain Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't use mine often, but my whole family likes "zoodles" when I make them.
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've got one and haven't used it in a while, but mainly because it's winter and I prefer carbier food! In the summer when I had it though, it was brilliant! Love courgette pasta and it makes great coleslaw too.
  • tnwlkr43
    tnwlkr43 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love mine, I also use spaghetti squash and Shirataki noodles instead of pasta in most cases.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options

Good Luck !

The OP, sorta:

No I didn't, I said it's not that good for you, and it's not.

If there are any pressing health concerns that are the result of not getting enough bleached white flour in one's diet, I am unfamiliar with them. Pasta isn't poison, but it's not particularly nutritious either.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

Good Luck !

The OP, sorta:

Only in a black and white view of the world would "not that good for you" = "bad for you".
  • amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'm not fussed about pasta but like the idea of veggies a bit differnt and bulking meals with them...might try the hand job first (!!) - so does the gdaget use the soft middle bit too??
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm not fussed about pasta but like the idea of veggies a bit differnt and bulking meals with them...might try the hand job first (!!) - so does the gdaget use the soft middle bit too??

It leaves behind a little core. We call it the Zucchini Weenie. (Tee hee.) I usually just chop it up and toss it in my sauce.

jnnljymxzyqh.jpg

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I got a spiralizer in January.
    I did not have a device that already does the same thing. I am not cutting pasta or rice out of my diet. I got it because I thought it would be a fun way to eat vegetables and fruits. I've cut apple, potato, zucchini and parsnip so far. I like it.
    Inspiralized.com and skinnytaste.com have recipes.
  • CleverClone
    CleverClone Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have one too, and I love it! Especially during the summer when I often want to eat something light (instead of, say, pasta).
    Like most, the main thing I do with it is spaghetti or salads. In fact I just had a bowl of zucchini and carrot "spaghetti" with some sauce; you get a ton of food for very little calories.
    But as ever, your experience may differ.

I have the Spiralo made by Lurch, and it has three different blades for different types of cutting, and it can handle lots of different types of vegetables (I might be wrong, but I think some of the handheld ones can only do zucchini?). Makes it more useful in my opinion.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would give you mine if you were local, Zedeff. I've had the $29 tabletop version for 5 years and never use it. It's flimsy and bulky and I don't much like zucchini with spaghetti sauce. I'm good with a knife and would sooner slice a zucchini by hand.