2»

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    karaboo20 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    karaboo20 wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time, on most days, meeting my calories(under), but I'm definitely eating, I jut cannot imagine eating more than what I'm eating. Is it okay to be under on the calories? I'm on 1250 now and the meals I eat are super filling.

Assuming your calories are right, you have gotten good advice. How much under are you?

Are you weighing/measuring your portions? If not, you could be eating more calories than you think.

Yes, I have been weighing them all actually. I just have been eating a lot of non-fat or low-fat things. I do cook with butter or olive oil and do not shy from it. I definitely could probably add some things from above post to complete it. I'm usually like 100-200 shy.

If you're just 100-200 calories short of your goal, then that's easy to make up by adding some calorie dense foods (although it's probably within the margin of error even if you're weighing and logging everything).

100-200 calories is:
    a handful of nuts
    a dark chocolate bar
    a serving of peanut butter
    a tablespoon of olive oil
    two eggs
    half a store-bought muffin
    a banana
    a protein bar
    a serving of granola
    5.3 oz of Greek yogurt
    3 tablespoons of sour cream
    an ounce of cheese
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you are:

a) Not eating at a NUTRITIONAL deficit (different than a CALORIE deficit)
    b) Not dieting in an unsustainable way that will lead to anxiety/binging/failure
    c) Not subjectively deprived (either hungry, or just deprived of favourite foods/treats)

Then there is no reasonable justification to increase you calories. You don't have to eat more just for the sake of meeting a calorie goal. The advice to add calorie-dense foods to your diet just for the sake of eating more calories is silly.
  • michaelaecc
    Options
    Hi,

I also haven't been meeting my calorie targets (again being under my target) which tends to happen every other day. Ive also been accustumed to just having 3 meals a day.

To help me achieve my goals, I'm seeing a Nutritionist on a regular basis and have been advised to increase my protein and decrease my carbs. This is because your body first burns proteins then carbs then fats. So if your consuming more protein, the more your body is going to use up, however DON'T stop eating carbs and fats as your body needs them.

The Nutritionist also advised that because eating more protein is easier for the body to use up, I will need and want to replenish my food intake more regularly. Therefore it will be easier for me to have good snacks in between meals.

She advised that your body will get used to under eating by slowing the metabolic rate but this won't necessarily lead to weight loss. By eating on a regular basis, for instance every 3 - 3.5hrs, you will avoid spikes and the metabolic system will work harder to use up the energy (food) consumed. If your metabolic system is working harder then you should start seeing results.

I have been using this site for four weeks and have already lost half a stone. I have an uner active thyroid, so if It's working for me I can't see this not working for anybody else.

Good luck