Help with low carb for health reasons

Options
KylaDenay
KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
Okay so I suffer from Gerd and other gastric issues. I am very stubborn and still eat foods that I should not. I have been really sick with it since school started. I am sure that it is cause of stress even though I don't seem stressed.

Well I don't have health benefits at work and no health insurance. When I did have health insurance I was seeing a GI doctor, but it is just bad now and I am sure I have more than just Gerd. Last time I paid $300 at the doc for them to tell me to stop eating red meat and pork. Um no that didn't really help. I seem to feel sick most of the time with carbs. Some times meat gets to me, but I realize it is the carbs I am eating with it. I really can't say.

Anywho I read a lot about how the low carb lifestyle can help out with Gerd and other gastric problems, but I don't know where to start. Like what should the ratios be for carb/fat/protein. When people say "low carb" it is too broad for me. I see keto, atkins, paleo, and others. I want to give it a try and see if it works. I will give up anything that will help my health issues and save me money.

TIA

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi. My mom has this and she also has barretts esophagus which can be caused by gerd in time. The reason on the meat is it causes acid and it takes a long time to digest. You need to eat very small meals and meats lije fish or chicken if you eat those. Stay away from onion, bell pepper, tomato and all its products. And other acid causing foods. What you probably need to avoid is anything spicy as well. A probably semi liquid diet of yogurt and broths, jellos. It might be better to avoid certain carbs for you and processed foods. You may want to try baby foods to see if this helps your digestion I know it sounds yuck but this has helped before to reduce acid and your digestive system is not functioning properly.

My mom has had lots of digestive issues and has suffered a long time. So I know what you mean you are sick. Also caffeine and chocolate should be avoided. You may want to look up a fodmaps or gaps diet these may help to heal your system and figure what you can't tolerate. Pm me if you have further questions.

My mom has gerd, barrets esophagus, diverticulitis, ibs
  • mjrdore
    mjrdore Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kyla, a very reliable Low Carb site - full of good stuff - by a registered dietitian - http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com
    -
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need to be extremely low carb to get some relief -- for my husband severely restricting wheat is enough. Try keeping your carbs under 100g as a place to start and see how you do. You can always adjust and go higher or lower from there. My carbs are usually under 50g and that allows for a ton of vegetables, some berries and a small amount of a "carby" thing that's typically restricted on low carb diets like beans, potatoes, bananas, flour to thicken gravy and that sort of thing.

As for the ratios you'll want to eat more fat than protein and more protein than carbs. Which basically ends up being a lot of vegetables, a decent amount of protein and a fat (butter, olive oil, cheese, sauce etc.) for flavor and satiety. Here's an excellent resource to get you started:

LCHF for Beginers
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Hi. My mom has this and she also has barretts esophagus which can be caused by gerd in time. The reason on the meat is it causes acid and it takes a long time to digest. You need to eat very small meals and meats lije fish or chicken if you eat those. Stay away from onion, bell pepper, tomato and all its products. And other acid causing foods. What you probably need to avoid is anything spicy as well. A probably semi liquid diet of yogurt and broths, jellos. It might be better to avoid certain carbs for you and processed foods. You may want to try baby foods to see if this helps your digestion I know it sounds yuck but this has helped before to reduce acid and your digestive system is not functioning properly.

My mom has had lots of digestive issues and has suffered a long time. So I know what you mean you are sick. Also caffeine and chocolate should be avoided. You may want to look up a fodmaps or gaps diet these may help to heal your system and figure what you can't tolerate. Pm me if you have further questions.

My mom has gerd, barrets esophagus, diverticulitis, ibs
    When I was seeing a GI doc he gave me a list of items not to eat. No spicy, acidic, fried or fatty, chocolate, coffee...all the good stuff blah blah blah lol.

A lot of what you mentioned sounds very familiar. Thank you for the info. I really want to try low carb, because it will help me to stick with getting rid of most of the above as mentioned.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Thank you for the links above!! Very helpful.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Another option, if you're of the busy sort, would be a keto focused, DIY soylent. Since it's your recipe, you can really dial in exactly your macro and micro mix.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Never heard of that. With full time work and school I am pretty busy.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

You should find lots of help there. Use this to figure out your macros: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ It will coach you through each setting

On a web browser (not mobile) use this to let you adjust your MFP settings to exactly what that calculator gives you instead of rounding them to the nearest 5%:
    http://karoshiethos.com/2013/08/13/javascript-bookmarklet-for-enhanced-macro-goals-in-myfitnesspal/

I wasn't trying to fix GERD when I started LC, but it was a happy side effect. It knocked it down from daily to a few times a week. The biggest difference actually came in cutting out diet pop/tea and sticking to mainly water. That solved the last of the problem when I thought I was just going to have to live with a flareup or two a week. I can still have coffee and home brewed regular tea, but it's offset with water for the rest of the day.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    Never heard of that. With full time work and school I am pretty busy.

It's what I've switched to for during the weekdays.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Thank you Dbmata I will look that up.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

You should find lots of help there. Use this to figure out your macros: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ It will coach you through each setting

On a web browser (not mobile) use this to let you adjust your MFP settings to exactly what that calculator gives you instead of rounding them to the nearest 5%:
    http://karoshiethos.com/2013/08/13/javascript-bookmarklet-for-enhanced-macro-goals-in-myfitnesspal/

I wasn't trying to fix GERD when I started LC, but it was a happy side effect. It knocked it down from daily to a few times a week. The biggest difference actually came in cutting out diet pop/tea and sticking to mainly water. That solved the last of the problem when I thought I was just going to have to live with a flareup or two a week. I can still have coffee and home brewed regular tea, but it's offset with water for the rest of the day.
    I actually already have the enhance macros on my computers for the settings and it is great thanks.

Thank you for the links and help!
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Whichever path you choose, make sure you document it well. You will be experimenting, and every detail matters in an experiment. When talking low carb, it takes many weeks for changes to become apparent, so the farther from "normal" you go (I.e. the less carbs you consume), the more time needed to adjust.

My opinion on this topic with regard to which diet works best is moot because I dont know
    about the disorder. Good luck in your experiments.

Just fyi, walgreens and others do lipid panel tests for about $50-60. Maybe that could be a gauge.
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Thank you Rockstar. I actually did have a physical (blood work) done last year and all was fine. Well she did say that my thyroid test was a little high, but not enough that should effect anything. Maybe I should go get some blood work done again.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Couple things...

Did the GI doc ever try to figure out WHY you had GERD? There could be a reason behind it that it would help you to know, you know? I've heard that some folks with low level food allergies had GERD presentations, even when they had no hives or rashes.

Did the GI doctor ever test you for celiac disease? Parasites? Lactose intolerance? Fructose malabsorption? (last two need a breath test - and sorry for the bombardment of questions. Both myself and my daughter have had to see a number of GI doctors, enough to realize that they aren't always as thorough as they should be. :-/ )

Oh, and have you ever found out the exact results of your thyroid test and compared them online to some of the current research? There is currently a big debate among endocrinologists about what is actually normal for thyroid testing, and many believe that the current 'normal' levels are too high, considering that something like 95% of the population fall into a much lower range. And there are many who say that their thyroid levels, at what some doctors view as not enough to be a problem, WERE actually a problem.

Don't know that this is your situation, but I've had a number of friends with thyroid issues who ran into this, you know?

In terms of diet, the low carb thing is really tricky. Honestly, there really doesn't seem to be a 'one way fits all,' not even in terms of basic carbs, not when you start looking at the research done (and not done). If it were me, I might consider the GAPS diet. Personally, I think a lot of the THEORY behind the diet is poor. However, it's a diet that looks to dropping you down to an extremely limited diet, and to try and build it up while at the same time adding in probiotics, and avoiding a number of foods that are more likely to cause allergic reactions or intolerances (not that they phrase it this way). It's also very specific, so easy to follow (well, not easy, but simple).

So I know a lot of people who have done this diet and while they didn't stay on it, it helped them to figure out if any foods were actually part of the problem, and for many of them, it did improve their gut health (the probiotics alone could be responsible for that, though).

the GAPS diet is mostly food made by yourself, from regular ingredients, so it's not more expensive, just some more time needed to cook, so from a financial standpoint, it's pretty good,too.
  • K8cain
    K8cain Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is not food related and meds may not be how you want to go....but I have had GERD a long time and even though I have insurance, when it changed my meds became really expensive. Luckily they now have prevalent I'd over the counter and it still works GREAT for me. It's about $25 a month but I can eat whatever I want (GERD wise) and it doesn't bother me!!
  • KylaDenay
    Options
    Thanks for the help :)