Carbs are taking over!!!

Options
Help!! I have set my carbs to 50 a day but I keep going over on carbs and under eating in calories. My carbs are from fruits and Fiber One bars as far as I can tell. I need help!! What are some low carb "treats" or easy grab and go items that aren't so high in carbs?

Replies

• RavenousRachel
    Options
    hard boiled eggs, nuts, cheese. For treats, there's always bacon! Delicious bacon.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have fallin in love with cauliflower rice with a small amount of butter, onions and asiago cheese. I am totally hooked.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Why are your carbs set so low??
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Why are your carbs set so low??

yes, please answer this...
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    im stick thin, and I eat all the carbs. they are not the enemy, ya know.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    More veggies, less fruits. When you do have fruit, aim more for berries, less for bananas. Hard cheese and beef sticks or jerky are good for on the go, assuming you are making up your balance from fat and not trying to go lc and lf at the same time (bad idea). I go through a lot of celery and peanut butter - "natural" style pb usually has less carbs, most of the major name brands have one. Nuts are good, too, but not all are lc, cashews have a ton of carbs compared to almonds or walnuts.

You should probably ditch the Fiber One bars, too. Most granola bars have the same nutritional info as Little Debbies, even if they add fiber or protein to make them sound healthier.

The main thing is to start reading labels when you shop. You'll find them in all kinds of places you wouldn't expect, like lunchmeat and spice mixes, even cough medicine.
  • lydiarose9419
    Options
    Lissa_Kaye wrote: »
    I have fallin in love with cauliflower rice with a small amount of butter, onions and asiago cheese. I am totally hooked.
    that sounds so yummy :)

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    More veggies, less fruits. When you do have fruit, aim more for berries, less for bananas. Hard cheese and beef sticks or jerky are good for on the go, assuming you are making up your balance from fat and not trying to go lc and lf at the same time (bad idea). I go through a lot of celery and peanut butter - "natural" style pb usually has less carbs, most of the major name brands have one. Nuts are good, too, but not all are lc, cashews have a ton of carbs compared to almonds or walnuts.

You should probably ditch the Fiber One bars, too. Most granola bars have the same nutritional info as Little Debbies, even if they add fiber or protein to make them sound healthier.

The main thing is to start reading labels when you shop. You'll find them in all kinds of places you wouldn't expect, like lunchmeat and spice mixes, even cough medicine.

Did you know bananas are berries? I just learned that yesterday!

OP - 50g is pretty low, IMO. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Did you know bananas are berries? I just learned that yesterday!

OP - 50g is pretty low, IMO. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it.

my training would go down the drain if I ate the number of carbs….i probably have more than that for breakfast...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Meat, cheese, meat.
  • mikkilmack1225
    Options
    I like to do a pack of tuna with seaweed. Only 1 carb per serving and 90 calories. I use the Starkisk pouch and small seaweed packet for lunch when I am too busy to actually make a lunch to take to work. It is not for everyone but I love it and it fills me up to get through the day without having to resort to the vending machines.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I like to do a pack of tuna with seaweed. Only 1 carb per serving and 90 calories. I use the Starkisk pouch and small seaweed packet for lunch when I am too busy to actually make a lunch to take to work. It is not for everyone but I love it and it fills me up to get through the day without having to resort to the vending machines.

does that come with a side of tears too?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    50 carbs a day is not very much. Do you have a medical reason they're set so low?
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    less grains, and less sugar.

Example:

Breakfast: 2-3 egg omelette with cheese and mushrooms mixed in.

Lunch: 2oz sliced chicken breast on a bed of kale/spinach mix with shredded cheddar and choice of dressing (I go for mayo, but some brands of ranch are ok.)

Dinner: pan seared radishes with melted cheese, chives, and full fat sour cream with some sort of small portion of protein (2 oz or so)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    less grains, and less sugar.

Example:

Breakfast: 2-3 egg omelette with cheese and mushrooms mixed in.

Lunch: 2oz sliced chicken breast on a bed of kale/spinach mix with shredded cheddar and choice of dressing (I go for mayo, but some brands of ranch are ok.)

Dinner: pan seared radishes with melted cheese, chives, and full fat sour cream with some sort of small portion of protein (2 oz or so)

why?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP, why so few carbs? Without a medical reason, I would caution against going so low. Even with a medical reason for going low carb, that is super low. Diabetic women using carb exchanges are generally told to have 3-4 15g exchanges per meal, for example.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    50g carbs or 50% carbs?

The former is way too low.
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    50g why thats away too low
    I love carb i eat 50% carb 30 p 20 fat and lost 20 pound since decmber 10
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i see op still has not come back to clarify this insanely low carb number...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Your post is confusing, OP. You're not low carbing; if you were, you wouldn't be eating fruit (well, maybe berries) or Fiber One bars. So the concern about carbs is... confusing. Do you mean 50% or 50 grams of carbs? Can you clarify?

How much protein are you getting? What exactly concerns you about your carb intake? Are you losing weight? Are you meeting your calorie goals? Do you feel satisfied with your intake?