What does your ElIiptical say about you?

Options
rileyes
rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
How many calories does your Elliptical say you're burning?

I average 224 cals, 2-miles, 24 minutes.
Level 6 for first 5-min warm-up in the 60s. Then I reduce to level 5 and stay in the high 50s.
#LifeFitness X3o

Just wondering what everyone else is getting?

Replies

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Well for one thing, mine is an eliptical, since that is actually a word and all.

:)
  • beyondmotiv8ted
    beyondmotiv8ted Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do 60 minutes and mine says I've burned 750 calories but mfp says 982 calories. I only eat half back if any, per recommendations on mfp. Does that help?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Well for one thing, mine is an eliptical, since that is actually a word and all.

this is great. usually we have to wait a couple of posts, maybe even pages, to see who the dick is.

but you showed us in the first response. Bravo!!

• rileyes
    edited February 2015
    Options

Thanks doug. I corrected my err. Now correct yours "ll". ;)

And thanks Capt. ;)
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'd be very cautious using an elliptical's calorie burn estimates. Mine claims I burn 1600+ calories in 45 minutes. I estimate maybe a third of that, based on HRM calculations.

ETA that my elliptical doesn't allow me to enter my stats, so it's about as inaccurate as they can get.

23hab9g.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    "have you seen Dave and do you think he's ever coming back? '
  • rileyes
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Calories per minute average on an elliptical so far:
    12, 12.5, 33.5...
    Anyone else?
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My elliptical lets me enter my stats and it is within about 10% of my HRM. I burn more calories if I have increased the incline and resistance, so I could go from about 9 calories when first starting out to about 13-15 if I am at the end of the workout and I have the incline at the max and the resistance about half to the max.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I usually get anywhere from 10 to 13, depending upon what intensity, resistance, and height I have it set for. Sometimes I burn 500 in 45 minutes, other times only 445 calories. I think that's reasonably accurate. I don't know why people rag on elliptical machines! I love the elliptical, I don't find it boring, or "too easy." I mean maybe it's because the ones I use at my university's gym are extremely nice, new, and come with a tv built in.... :)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Her name is Martha (yes, I named her since I was spending so much time with her). We’ve been on a break for about a year, when I decided I’d try spending time with other girls, Fran, Cindy, Helen, Nicole, Nancy, etc. (crossfit).
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Mine says.850 for 60 minutes at level 10 starting. But when I do the math with my weight loss over a period of months it can't be more than 600. It is probably more like 400-500.
  • rileyes
    Options
    Her name is Martha (yes, I named her since I was spending so much time with her). We’ve been on a break for about a year, when I decided I’d try spending time with other girls, Fran, Cindy, Helen, Nicole, Nancy, etc. (crossfit).

My neighbor owns a "box" so I know of those girls too. Maybe next month I'll get more intimate with them. ;)
  • rileyes
    Options
    So far, it seems, we are averaging about 12 cals per min.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options

this is great. usually we have to wait a couple of posts, maybe even pages, to see who the dick is.

but you showed us in the first response. Bravo!!

Glad I could help. o:)
  • slondro
    slondro Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use a Life Fitness (X3, maybe?), and I love it. Whenever that machine's taken at the gym, I can't get used to the stride lengths of the other machines.

I usually go for about 30 minutes, starting with an intensity of 10 and slowly moving up to 14-15 (at a pretty consistent 60-65 RPM), and I end up between 450 and 500 calories on a good day. It would be nice if the numbers were accurate, but I'm guessing they're inflated by a bit.

Edit: Oh, and for distance, it's usually just above 4 km.
  • rileyes
    Options
    slondro wrote: »
    I use a Life Fitness (X3, maybe?), and I love it. Whenever that machine's taken at the gym, I can't get used to the stride lengths of the other machines.

I usually go for about 30 minutes, starting with an intensity of 10 and slowly moving up to 14-15 (at a pretty consistent 60-65 RPM), and I end up between 450 and 500 calories on a good day. It would be nice if the numbers were accurate, but I'm guessing they're inflated by a bit.

Edit: Oh, and for distance, it's usually just above 4 km.

That sounds about right for LifeFitness (I love the stride too, btw). You average about 15 cals per minute. Dang!, you got some strength and speed!!!
  • slondro
    slondro Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    That sounds about right for LifeFitness (I love the stride too, btw). You average about 15 cals per minute. Dang!, you got some strength and speed!!!

Haha, honestly, I started out wishing I could be running, but my flat feet kept causing problems. I find that I sweat more and have a higher heart rate after 20 minutes on the elliptical than after 20 minutes running, though, so I'm sure it's a good cardio workout.

By the way, does everyone here use their arms while exercising? I usually try to balance with my core and move my arms as though I'm running, but never see anyone else doing that.
  • rileyes
    Options
    slondro wrote: »
    rileyes wrote: »

Haha, honestly, I started out wishing I could be running, but my flat feet kept causing problems. I find that I sweat more and have a higher heart rate after 20 minutes on the elliptical than after 20 minutes running, though, so I'm sure it's a good cardio workout.

By the way, does everyone here use their arms while exercising? I usually try to balance with my core and move my arms as though I'm running, but never see anyone else doing that.

I never hold the arms. I like to simulate more of a run. I also like to warm down on the elliptical with some exercises that work my core (lots of balancing).
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Mine says "I can't believe this old fat lady is working out so hard."
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    My elliptical says, "hey, here are some foot pedals placed in a really awkward position, good luck working around that"

I do level 4, 70-90 rpm. Machine says I burn 300 cals in 30-40 mins, depending on how fast I go. I usually do the elliptical on days between HIIT cycling + some resistance training, as a kind of active recovery. Sometimes I take it easy, other times I put on some music and go double time on whatever bpm it is, depends on how my legs feel.