Lost motivation after losing 100 lbs

Options
2»

Replies

• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    To keep the weight off, you have to log what you eat. Some people can eat "intuitively", but you clearly can't because you have regained. If you keep doing what you're doing now, statistics say you'll regain all you lost AND MORE.

It's like balancing your checkbook. You have to keep doing it, or you'll go into debt. Not easy, but simple.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I believe in your ability to do this. You created it once, so you can re-create it. Hang in and conquer.
  • cdcllcga01
    cdcllcga01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Cee - here's a "been there done that" that hopefully will help.

I'm an expert at losing weight. Heck, a few years ago I lost 40 lbs and now in the present I've lost 20 lbs on my way to losing 67. Eat fewer calories and work your tail off in the gym works every time for me. Unfortunately, I stink at keeping the weight off and 40 lbs of my 67 this time around are the same lbs that I worked so hard to lose a few years ago. I'm the scenario you read about where you gain back all the weight and then some, and your BF% is much higher and your lean body mass is much lower. Ugggghhhh - take it from me - what I've done is not where you want to be.

Why am I in the situation I'm in? Because a few years ago I stopped making managing my weight and fitness a priority. I had other things that I wanted to do more (and IMHO - they are AWESOME excuses . . . as far as excuses go).

Here's what I'm doing now to give me the best chance of being successful at keeping it off this time around:

1. I'm educating myself now on how folks do it. I've started my education by spending several hours pouring through the "Goal: Maintaining Weight" posts. Most people state they keep logging, exercising, weighing regularly and setting a 5 lb range where they allow their weight to fluctuate. Once outside their range, they tighten up on scale use, exercise, etc. until they recover to goal weight. My assumption is that while they are in their 5 lb range, they use more intuition / estimation vs. intensive meal planning, weighing, etc. Strategy makes sense to me.

2. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'm going to have to manage / put forth effort on the maintenance front the rest of my life. I keep hearing my Mom say - nothing worthwhile ever came without effort!!

3. I constantly reinforce my goals and reaffirm that this is what I really want.

4. I also realize that the management part gets easier all the time. A few years ago, I had to do most everything by hand and personalized spreadsheets. Data entry via MFP and scanning bar-codes is a DREAM COME TRUE!

You've accomplished a 100 lb loss. That's amazing! While I've never done that, I think I've done enough to understand the incredible amount of will, determination and WORK that took. So you've proven you've got it in you. I know it, you know it and so does most everyone on MFP. I urge you to read through the posts in the maintaining weight forum with the goal of self-education, figure out what you think it takes to "make it happen", and then making a personal decision to do it. And yes, it is going to take some effort and yes, it probably is forever. But given what you've already accomplished, there's no question that you can.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Try to imagine how you felt three years ago, before you started losing the weight. Do you want to be there again? Think of the effort it took to get you where you are now. If you've done it once, you'll want to do it again, and you'll be so mad with yourself for needing to do it. Just try and maintain for a couple of months, and see if that gives you a new enthusiasm, but don't give up!
    ^^THIS!!!

Hey, I'm in the same boat so I understand. I was on Weight Watchers six years ago, lost 60 lbs and then, like you, got bored with the tracking, bored with the motivational pep talks at the meetings, bored with working out, just plain bored with the whole thing and gained it plus another 20 all back. I think it's because we are constantly 'on' when it comes to weight loss- all we think about is 'what is this thing I'm about to eat going to do to me?!'

You're in a rut, friend, and the only thing to do is dig your way out of it (preferably not with an ice cream scoop :smile: Change things up- different work outs, different foods, different clothes. You've got to find a way out of your funk. Best wishes to you, don't give up!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I did so well, it took me 3 years but I lost 100 lbs (I got down to 215, but need to get down to below 200). I did take little breaks from my diet but nothing to long or to bad, until now. I still make myself log calories but I stop after lunch so I don't really know how much I end up with. I'm just tired from doing this for 3 years. I have gained back 30 lbs since I stopped, at least... I need help/motivation to keep up my diet/life style change. I don't want to undo what I did. I want to keep the weight off and be healthy.
    I had this happen to a client that lost 50lbs and was starting to fall off the wagon. So I kindly took her to the squat rack, had her grab 2 25lb dumbells and then then walk up the stairs with them. At the top she was huffing and puffing, then looked down at me and said "I get it now."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• LuckyMe2017
    LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Community, the support you've shown here is great!

Cee, consider whether you are subconsciously trying to sabotage your efforts. What were your expectations starting out? Be encouraged to continue toward them or adjust, but don't give up. Oh how I wish I had started my journey 3 years ago! You have made a big accomplishment and there is more greatness in you!
    Best wishes!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I had this happen to a client that lost 50lbs and was starting to fall off the wagon. So I kindly took her to the squat rack, had her grab 2 25lb dumbells and then then walk up the stairs with them. At the top she was huffing and puffing, then looked down at me and said "I get it now."

That's brilliant!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. Thanks. Here is a joke: who balances their check book anymore, or uses checks. :)
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. Thanks. Here is a joke: who balances their check book anymore, or uses checks. :)

I balance my checkbook the old fashioned way every month. I write fewer checks than I used to but i still write a few. LOL I guess you can tell I'm from an older generation
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on yourself. You have done incredibly well. We all need to do this at our own pace. I know it is hard but I would go back to logging to the best of my ability good and bad.
    You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Hey, we're still balancing our income and spending. Just because we're downloading transactions from online banking into a budgeting software instead of using pen and paper... well, hey, that's kind of like using MFP instead of pen and paper to count calories, isn't it?

Technology is wonderful. :)

(And I still have to write cheques to my landlord, who's stuck in 1975. Annoying as all heck.)
  • cee134
    Options
    Just bitcoin your landlord. :)
  • segacs
    Options
    Just bitcoin your landlord. :)

Hahaha. I'd love to have a landlord who'd accept Bitcoin. :)

(Then again, I'd also love to have a landlord who actually fixes stuff when it breaks, does any maintenance whatsoever, or answers her phone when I call to report a water leak. Keep dreaming, right?)
  • cee134
    Options
    No there are certain laws about what a Landlord has to do and keep up with. You would have to check to see what your local laws are but it could be worth it. It is usually hard to kick someone out, so you could even (once again depending on your local laws) not pay until they fix things, or at least delay paying.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Yeah it's a hassle. The people who pretend it isn't are kidding themselves. You're basically supposed to live your entire life to balance out a bunch of numbers. Want to go out to eat? Nope, think again. You won't know what numbers to punch in. Sure, you could guess but then you'll just worry if you guessed right. Plus you're a bad person for guessing. People will say you're lying about your intake. I mean, you're supposed to weigh EVERYTHING right? I'm right there with you. I'm considering just counting loosely since I've lost all motivation for the process too.

I love BF, he just lays it out there! Perhaps OP and BF could do the My Plate method at least for now. This is how my doctor explains it: Almost half the plate is nonstarchy vegetables (with a sliver of that half being fruit, according to the latest update), 1/4 is some type of carb/starch, and 1/4 is lean meat. No drowning things in butter and gravy; that sabotages you. Cook with olive oil when an added fat is needed. This way you are not logging or strictly measuring but you have a guideline which if you are honest with yourself about the plate divisions, will not "creep" ever bigger. It was developed to work on a standard size dinner plate. You can get illustrations online too if you are a visual thinker.

And, of course, the exercise. Walking, swimming, hula hooping, whatever's fun and affordable for you. Some people park their workout machine in front of the TV so they don't get bored out of their gourd. I think that's a pretty good idea if you have any kind of machine at home. If not, you can do your body weight exercises or calisthenics in front of the TV for entertainment.

I hope some of this is helpful. You already invested so much hard work after all!

• segacs
    Options
    It was a rhetorical statement, not a request to change the subject. :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the 100lb loss! I've been doing this for almost 3 years too - lost about 60lb, then maintained and now trying to lose a bit more. At the moment, I've had enough of calorie counting so I'm sticking to three meals a day (no snacks) most days, being careful with portions and writing down what I eat. I'm losing weight, but it feels liberating not having to count the calories. Maybe something like that would help?
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Noooo!!!! Don't give up!!! So much good advice above. Dig in, try something new but don't give up!!! Everyone is cheering for you!!!! Get some good friends on here to help keep you going. Want to see you in the success boards! Heck! You should be there now!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    Think of it like brushing your teeth or balancing your chequebook: You don't stop doing these things just because you're tired of them, do you? (Well, I'd hope not!)

The trick is to not make them so central to your life anymore. Find ways to log and track in the background, taking no more than a few minutes a day and not requiring so much concentration. After three years, you probably have it fairly down pat anyway. Meanwhile, find new goals, interests and hobbies to focus on and to motivate you -- ones not related to diet and exercise, preferably. Hang out less on these boards and concentrate on other things you enjoy, other relationships and hobbies.

You don't have to quit. But it doesn't have to define you, either.

This is an excellent idea. I pre-log the day before. Since I eat pretty much the same things, I do a lot of copying from the day before, or meals. Once a day is all that's necessary with pre-planning, or when you decide to make a change.

I've been at this for over two years- one year to lose 44 lbs and over a year maintenance-and I can't imagine my life without logging and tracking.

Different strokes - pre-logging doesn't work well for me outside of certain circumstances or if done periodically. I do much better grabbing what I want to eat for breakfast and lunch, weighing and logging everything as I go (I usually log the items as I'm grabbing them, then just weigh them once they are logged so I can change the weight from my diary). I really only pre-log if I'm figuring out what I want to eat ahead of time for when I get home. For me pre-logging is akin to meal prep, which I hate. I can do it infrequently only.

Best to try different things out and find what "hacks" work best for you :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Yeah it's a hassle. The people who pretend it isn't are kidding themselves. You're basically supposed to live your entire life to balance out a bunch of numbers. Want to go out to eat? Nope, think again. You won't know what numbers to punch in. Sure, you could guess but then you'll just worry if you guessed right. Plus you're a bad person for guessing. People will say you're lying about your intake. I mean, you're supposed to weigh EVERYTHING right? I'm right there with you. I'm considering just counting loosely since I've lost all motivation for the process too.

I love BF, he just lays it out there! Perhaps OP and BF could do the My Plate method at least for now. This is how my doctor explains it: Almost half the plate is nonstarchy vegetables (with a sliver of that half being fruit, according to the latest update), 1/4 is some type of carb/starch, and 1/4 is lean meat. No drowning things in butter and gravy; that sabotages you. Cook with olive oil when an added fat is needed. This way you are not logging or strictly measuring but you have a guideline which if you are honest with yourself about the plate divisions, will not "creep" ever bigger. It was developed to work on a standard size dinner plate. You can get illustrations online too if you are a visual thinker.

And, of course, the exercise. Walking, swimming, hula hooping, whatever's fun and affordable for you. Some people park their workout machine in front of the TV so they don't get bored out of their gourd. I think that's a pretty good idea if you have any kind of machine at home. If not, you can do your body weight exercises or calisthenics in front of the TV for entertainment.

I hope some of this is helpful. You already invested so much hard work after all!

Really? Laying it out there? Because I'm just seeing him whine and complain all over the forums and apparently on people's feeds.

Sliver of fruit? HOnestly I like fruit more than veggies so I eat a lot of them. Not as much as I did when I was gaining weight, but a large portion still. Only 1/4 of my plate being meat (and the meat doesn't have to be lean to eat it) likely wouldn't help me reach my protein needs every day unless I ate above maintenance.

Butter and gravy do not sabotage you. You are putting the blame of weight gain/lack of results on something external - THAT will sabotage you, if you ask me. Eat butter and gravy within your caloric needs and you will lose, maintain, or gain.

Why cook with olive oil? Fat is fat, you're not gonna somehow have fewer weight issues because you swap one source out for another.