Weight loss for Vegetarians

Options
sjsowter
sjsowter Posts: 2
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been a vegetarian for nearly two years. But since that time I have only gained weight. Whether it's because of my lack of exercise and a high carb diet I don't know. Would love some advice from anyone who has successfully lost weight as a vegetarian? Would love some more energy too, that would help with the exercise side of things!

Replies

• Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    A problem with a lot of vegetarian food is what is in it. A lot of them use starches to make up for other stuff. That can wreck havoc on your blood sugar and lead to gain. I eat a mostly plant based diet and whole grain carbs. I eat meat but very limited and ethically sourced. A lot of snack foods are designer junk foods. Read the ingredients. Watch for weird additives. A little is fine as treats but make the bulk of calories from whole foods.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Lissa_Kaye wrote: »
    A problem with a lot of vegetarian food is what is in it. A lot of them use starches to make up for other stuff. That can wreck havoc on your blood sugar and lead to gain. I eat a mostly plant based diet and whole grain carbs. I eat meat but very limited and ethically sourced. A lot of snack foods are designer junk foods. Read the ingredients. Watch for weird additives. A little is fine as treats but make the bulk of calories from whole foods.

Are you saying that starches will lead to weight gain even if one is eating within a calorie deficit?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    It is exactly the same rules as for anyone else ...weigh your food and count your calories

Carbs have diddly-squat to do with it

It's overall calories, portion control and activity that counts
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Lissa_Kaye wrote: »

Nope

Calories!
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i've lost over 40 lbs being vegan :)
  • amehh91
    amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I've lost 46lbs since September 2014 and am vegetarian, its all about calories :)
  • emblu
    emblu Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Don't buy any crappy veggie food and make your own. Get OCD with the golden rule: weigh, measure and don't over do the cheese mmmmmm cheese :smile:
    Also don't get dragged down the quorn route, if leave out the quorn you will end up using more veg and getting more flavour, vitamins, less calories and cheaper shopping bills plus more energy (trust me on the energy, I'm a tad hyper most of the time lol) x
  • littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Natural unprocessed is the best. Avoid junk food
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Natural unprocessed is the best. Avoid junk food

There is nothing wrong with either of those as long as you are in a calorie deficit.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You gained weight because you were eating more calories than you burned. I am vego, and have successfully lost weight as a vegetarian. Same advice I'd give to anyone trying to lose weight: weigh and log your food, log accurately and consistently. Also, make sure you are getting enough protein as this will make you feel fuller. Eggs are wonderful!
  • elphie754
    Options
    You gained weight because you were eating more calories than you burned. I am vego, and have successfully lost weight as a vegetarian. Same advice I'd give to anyone trying to lose weight: weigh and log your food, log accurately and consistently. Also, make sure you are getting enough protein as this will make you feel fuller. Eggs are wonderful!

Eggs typically aren't considered vegetarian.
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

if vegetarian is a diet that excludes the consumption of animal flesh then technically eggs aren't animal flesh

so many would eat eggs and dairy and say they are

the people I have issues with are the ones who think tuna is vegetarian

(I'm not veggie)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Yes, they are. You're possibly thinking vegan (no animal products whatsoever). Vegetarian tends more to 'nothing an animal died for' (though there are grades within that too).
  • elphabawicked18
    elphabawicked18 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

if vegetarian is a diet that excludes the consumption of animal flesh then technically eggs aren't animal flesh

so many would eat eggs and dairy and say they are

the people I have issues with are the ones who think tuna is vegetarian

(I'm not veggie)

haha, yes, tuna is certainly not vegetarian.

and eggs and dairy are not vegan, but are vegetarian.

anyways, i've been a vegetarian for more than six years now, and have never gained a lot of weight because of it, but have always fluctuated from 55 to 59 kg. so, i've been doing this logging thing for about a month now and have successfully lost 2.3 kg. it's pretty effective. and i eat all the same things - just less of it.

so, count your calories, exercise (even if it is for only 150 calories a day) and stay within your calorie range. it takes a while to get used to eating less, but, drink lots of water and chew gum. it's what i do :)

• TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I eat predominantly non-meat (often non egg and other things - still sorting out what I am). Anyway, I agree with the others calories in calories out. I have treats, I eat carbs, I eat fruit sugars I even eat normal sugars. As long as I burn more than I use I lose. Water, lot's of water. Seriously, eat whatever you want. I regularly use Quorn and am 21lbs down.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Yes, they are. You're possibly thinking vegan (no animal products whatsoever). Vegetarian tends more to 'nothing an animal died for' (though there are grades within that too).

You are right. I was thinking vegan. My bad!
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    To answer the OPs question, I am overweight and vegetarian and I think it is because it is very easy to over eat things like bread, pasta and rice when you are a vego. I don't mean that carbs as such are the problem, just that you have to be diligent with making sure you get lots of veg and protein. In my case things like a peanut butter sandwich or two were "easier" (read I was lazy) than making real food. Just like a big bowl of pasta with tomato and veg and cream or tomato were. You really need to make sure you eat protein to keep yourself full.

In the end though you can eat what you want as long as it is within cals.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    OP - if you're lacking in energy I would suggest getting your iron levels checked. If deficient try to up your intake of iron-rich foods (actually not as hard for vegetarians as some people will have you believe - I've been 100% vege for 22 years and my iron levels are rock solid, and that's not just 'me' cos they used to be abysmal when I was younger!). Eggs are an great source ;) (scramble them with some parsley for even more!). I track my iron intake just out of curiosity and I'm getting pretty close to my RDI most days.
  • lumpyspud69
    lumpyspud69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    sjsowter wrote: »
    I have been a vegetarian for nearly two years. But since that time I have only gained weight. Whether it's because of my lack of exercise and a high carb diet I don't know. Would love some advice from anyone who has successfully lost weight as a vegetarian? Would love some more energy too, that would help with the exercise side of things!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    OP, it's all about calories, as others have said. If you're lacking in energy, pay attention to your protein intake. If you consume eggs and dairy, it's easy to get a lot of protein through things like eggs, cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. Don't forget plant sources rich in protein like beans, legumes, spinach, mushrooms, kale, and broccoli.