Weight loss for Vegetarians

Options
2»

Replies

• mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I'm eating vegetarian and, as other posters have said, I find that it's important to get enough protein in order to stay full. Aim for the RDA of protein, which is 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of weight. I achieve this with beans, greek yogurt and nuts.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was a fat, junk food eating, cheese loving vegetarian just a few years ago. When I cut out all animal products and went vegan (no dairy/eggs/honey as well as meat), I lost approx 50lbs, rid myself of asthma, anemia, and acne to name a few NSVs.

I'm open to answering any specific questions, but I can absolutely say that any diet that focuses on whole foods in their raw, natural state will help with weight loss and boost your energy. My problem as a vegetarian was that I was merely replacing meat with processed substitutes and over-doing it on the fatty dairy products. Now I never limit my intake of fresh, whole foods and I feel fabulous and my bloodwork has never looked better. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    bodyzen wrote: »
    I was a fat, junk food eating, cheese loving vegetarian just a few years ago. When I cut out all animal products and went vegan (no dairy/eggs/honey as well as meat), I lost approx 50lbs, rid myself of asthma, anemia, and acne to name a few NSVs.

I'm open to answering any specific questions, but I can absolutely say that any diet that focuses on whole foods in their raw, natural state will help with weight loss and boost your energy. My problem as a vegetarian was that I was merely replacing meat with processed substitutes and over-doing it on the fatty dairy products. Now I never limit my intake of fresh, whole foods and I feel fabulous and my bloodwork has never looked better. :)

You can still have fat vegans
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

ANYTHING is possible; but bodyzen looks and feels terrific! Nice job!

• bodyzen
    edited February 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Oh absolutely! Veganism does not necessarily equal a clean diet. I know lots of chubby animal lovers too - and man I wish I could binge on some vegan cupcakes!!! lol. As I said, it's all about what you eat. ;)
  • MountainMaggie
    MountainMaggie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years. Rule #1: KNOW WHAT YOU ARE EATING. Read labels and know what you are eating. Just like with any diet, you need to watch your calories, and also other vital nutrients. Carbs aren't bad, it's just easy to eat a lot of them. Anything in excess is bad.
    Complex carbs and whole grains make you feel fuller and are higher in fiber, which helps with regularity and also helps you feel fuller. Same with protein. Fresh veggies and fruits can make you feel fuller even though they are usually very low in calories. If you snack before dinner, reach for a banana or some carrots dipped in hummus. You will eat less at dinner if you do.
    Wait 20 minutes after a snack or sensible portion before getting seconds. 9 times out of 10, the urge to eat more will go away.
    Watch out for processed foods, too much sald dressing, too much cooking oil, ect.
    Read, read, and read some more.
  • littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Natural unprocessed is the best. Avoid junk food

There is nothing wrong with either of those as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

Wrong. Junk food is full of fat so you could eat 10 burgers an dB be in the calorie limit but be wat over on unhealthy fat and cholesterol which goes right to your butt and stomach. Do this everyday and let see where that takes you. Its easier to lose weight when going all natural. Meaning cooking your own food. Veggies preferably steamed with lean meat on the side and some whole grains. Bodyforlife.com program works wonders as I have done so in the past and I started yesterday again.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Oh absolutely! Veganism does not necessarily equal a clean diet. I know lots of chubby animal lovers too - and man I wish I could binge on some vegan cupcakes!!! lol. As I said, it's all about what you eat. ;)

I have been vegan for eight years. Unlimited consumption of "whole foods" doesn't guarantee a healthy weight. Without focusing on portions and calories, I have always, always gained weight. It isn't just what you eat - - how much you eat is a crucial factor.

Whole grains, potatoes, nuts, avocados, fruits, coconuts - - these are foods that are full of nutrients but are also very easy for some of us to overeat in whole form. Neglecting portion control isn't going to help maintain a healthy weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Natural unprocessed is the best. Avoid junk food

There is nothing wrong with either of those as long as you are in a calorie deficit.

Wrong. Junk food is full of fat so you could eat 10 burgers an dB be in the calorie limit but be wat over on unhealthy fat and cholesterol which goes right to your butt and stomach. Do this everyday and let see where that takes you. Its easier to lose weight when going all natural. Meaning cooking your own food. Veggies preferably steamed with lean meat on the side and some whole grains. Bodyforlife.com program works wonders as I have done so in the past and I started yesterday again.

Wrong. Cos that's not the way it works.

There's a reason you've 'started yesterday again' .. deprivation diets suck and lead to yo-yoing
  • bodyzen
    Options
    I'm not saying I have the magic answer or anything, every body is different, but for me - when I was eating 1200 -1400 calories a day as a vegetarian trying to lose weight, it was awful. I went vegan (with a strong focus on low fat, raw foods) started increasing my calories and I lost weight easily. Now I focus on getting at least 2000-2500 calories a day from whole foods. It works for me and I get to eat all I care for. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying I have the magic answer or anything, every body is different, but for me - when I was eating 1200 -1400 calories a day as a vegetarian trying to lose weight, it was awful. I went vegan (with a strong focus on low fat, raw foods) started increasing my calories and I lost weight easily. Now I focus on getting at least 2000-2500 calories a day from whole foods. It works for me and I get to eat all I care for. :)

But your weight loss is still due to a calorie deficit. Telling someone that they will lose weight eating unlimited quantities of whole foods is giving them advice that may not work.

Calories still matter. If eating certain type of foods makes you feel fuller, then a calorie deficit is going to be easier to maintain. But there are many whole foods that can result in weight gain. If not, humans would have never evolved to process food because we would have died instantly from failure to thrive because we couldn't gain weight after birth.