What does your ElIiptical say about you?

Options
2»

Replies

• rahnia
    rahnia Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a Sole E95 Elliptical. I do intervals on Lvl 19 with incline for 45mins. I can input my age & weight into the display, and the calorie reading is 640-680.

My HRM says 560-574. MFP says something ridiculous.

I just take the lowest number & go with it.
  • McLaughlinh89
    McLaughlinh89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use the Life Fitness ellipticals at Planet Fitness. Right now I am I have it set to resistance 6. I usually work out for 30min and burn about 320-350cal. Starting out I do 7.2rpm and then take it up to 7.7-8. How often are you guys able to put your resistance up to the next level?
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Well for one thing, mine is an eliptical, since that is actually a word and all.

:)

this is great. usually we have to wait a couple of posts, maybe even pages, to see who the dick is.

but you showed us in the first response. Bravo!!

LOL!
  • spicy618
    Options
    I have no idea what the eliptical I use is saying.
    Proform on 10 resistance and 10 incline. My HRM shows about 530 for about 45 minutes.
    I always try to use the machines without the swinging handles, I never touch any other part of the machine, except to enter resistance and incline. I feel i'm helping my legs when I use the "swinging arm thingy".

btw, I Love, love, love the eliptical.

OP, I've spelled it the same as you. until today that is. lol!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Well for one thing, mine is an eliptical, since that is actually a word and all.

What? Are you correcting her spelling? I don't understand? Are you telling her it's spelled without the double L? I'm just trying to understand what you're saying.

Community Guidelines:
    1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • bethanyboyd1
    Options
    I'm new here, and honestly just got to the point I can actually train on an elliptical without my blood pressure almost killing me. The one I use gives me an estimate, I use a low setting, still no incline, and burn a little over 200 calories in 20 minutes. I go for the longest strides possible. Just wanted to throw in my newbie stats. I was a bit overwhelmed reading how awesome everyone is doing compared to me.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Moderate elliptical has a MET value of 5.
    5 * weight in kg * duration in hours = estimated net burn (that comes out to about 500 calories per hour for a 220 pound person)

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    slondro wrote: »
    rileyes wrote: »
    That sounds about right for LifeFitness (I love the stride too, btw). You average about 15 cals per minute. Dang!, you got some strength and speed!!!

Haha, honestly, I started out wishing I could be running, but my flat feet kept causing problems. I find that I sweat more and have a higher heart rate after 20 minutes on the elliptical than after 20 minutes running, though, so I'm sure it's a good cardio workout.

By the way, does everyone here use their arms while exercising? I usually try to balance with my core and move my arms as though I'm running, but never see anyone else doing that.

I also try to balance with my core more than use the arm handles by moving my hands like I would when running. I don't see very many doing that at where I work out at either.
  • spfldpam
    Options
    I wish I could run on treadmill or outside but can't due to bad knees, bone on bone on one knee that needs replaced but they dr won't since I am "not old enough", other knee is screwed up from over compensating on it from the other knee. They do better now that I lost alot of weight but still do bother me. I've tried running but it just hurts too bad.

I love the elliptical machine. I feel it is the one machine that burns the most calories for me in the shortest time as I have tried the treadmill walking and stationary bike and they don't compare to the burn I get w the elliptical. I usually burn about 300 cals in 30 minutes. It really depends on your weight and how much effort, resistance setting and incline. I usually set mine at 8 resistance and 5 or 6 incline for 30 minutes. My Polar FT7 gives me a better cal burn and heart rate than the little handles you hold onto to see what your heart rate is. Some times I am lazy and don't strap the FT7 on but have done enough workouts on it and know my heart rate so I still figure it is about 300 cals for 30 minutes.

I've been brave lately and tried the stair machine they have at my gym and that thing kills me. I do only about 8 minutes but have to stop after 3 minutes to catch my breath. I am trying to work up to more minutes but it is a killer! Next is the Jacob's Ladder but I don't know if I am coordinated enough to use that machine or not and having to use the waist strap kinda makes me more cautious of it too! LOL!
  • evolution328
    evolution328 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    on level three mine will tell me about 350 calories in 30 minutes
  • spicy618
    Options
    I'm new here, and honestly just got to the point I can actually train on an elliptical without my blood pressure almost killing me. The one I use gives me an estimate, I use a low setting, still no incline, and burn a little over 200 calories in 20 minutes. I go for the longest strides possible. Just wanted to throw in my newbie stats. I was a bit overwhelmed reading how awesome everyone is doing compared to me.

I started with no resistance or incline years ago. It takes time to get better. :flower
  • spfldpam
    Options
    spicy618 wrote: »

I started with no resistance or incline years ago. It takes time to get better. :flower

When I first started the elliptical back in Jan 2013 I also did no resistance and incline and after 10 minutes my hip was killing me!! It does take time. You'll work up to it! Go for it and just continue doing what you are doing!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I use two different ones. My home model doesn't give a calorie burn. The one in our work gym gives me about 20 kcal/min which is a total lie. The closer-to-correct answer is more like a net burn of 9 kcal/min.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I feel like my treadmill workout is so much more intensive yet I burn a fraction of the calories compared to the elliptical.
    Anyone else see a big difference in calorie burn?
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I feel like my treadmill workout is so much more intensive yet I burn a fraction of the calories compared to the elliptical.

First off, let me apologize for being a grammar nazi earlier. I don't know what came over me.

I started off mainly on the eliptical, but have switched to treadmill. I'm with you, the treadmill is much harder, but does seem to burn fewer calories. I find upping the incline helps.

I definately feel the treadmill more the next day than I did the eliptical though!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

First off, let me apologize for being a grammar nazi earlier. I don't know what came over me.

I started off mainly on the eliptical, but have switched to treadmill. I'm with you, the treadmill is much harder, but does seem to burn fewer calories. I find upping the incline helps.

I definately feel the treadmill more the next day than I did the eliptical though!

Aw that's okay. I hate to misspell. Btw, it's e-l-l-i-p-t-i-c-a-l. Two Ls. ;)

Right now, I set my treadmill to 12 (max incline) and high knee jog as if I were jogging the bleachers then alternate with 0-incline for 1/4 mile. Still less caloric-burn. So it says.