I quit smoking while dieting..

Options

Replies

• dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Their "excuse" is there hasn't been enough studies done on vaporisers. So they don't know if they're dangerous or not! A pack of 35 cigarettes is $26. Imagine how much money the government would be losing if more people swapped over to vaping!!?? A crap ton!

Holy crap! $26! Even in Australian dollars that's robbery!

I once paid $85 for a carton in London.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Their "excuse" is there hasn't been enough studies done on vaporisers. So they don't know if they're dangerous or not! A pack of 35 cigarettes is $26. Imagine how much money the government would be losing if more people swapped over to vaping!!?? A crap ton!

Holy crap! $26! Even in Australian dollars that's robbery!

I once paid $85 for a carton in London.

I know right!! Between my husband and I, we were spending over $200 a week on cancer sticks

• bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I quit in July and haven't gained a thing.

I quit too...smoking and haven't gained any either...mind you I am using a vaporizer..but it's not smoking.

Lots of time people gain because instead of smoking they are eating or they find after a time food does taste better or or or...just eat in a deficit you will continue to lose...

Oh congrats on quitting.

And yes your metabolism is a micro amount faster when smoking as it raises heart rate and blood pressure etc but not enough to make you gain 15lbs without eating more.

I quit 2 weeks ago, also using one of those vaporisers. It feels like I'm cheating, because it feels just like having a smoke except it tastes better and minus all the chemicals.
    Smoking definitely suppressed my appetite, if I was hungry I just nipped out and had a cuppa and ciggie and I was good.

I just got a vaporizer the other day :) So far so good. I hope to get off this eventually, too.

Re metabolism - I've read the difference is something like 200 calories (depending, obviously).

Now we've got trying to quit the vaporisers to look forward to!! I sincerely hope they don't come out with some danger associated with them!
    They've already banned selling nicotine here in Australia, we have to order it from the U.S Soon they're going to ban the import of it altogether!! Why????, Because the government isn't making any money from people who quit smoking.. bloody pathetic :angry:
    sorry for the vent, Don't want to hijack this thread.
    If nicotine is banned that would be why they're not selling them then. Nicotine itself is very bad and harmful for you even if it is vaporized and not smoked.

I don't agree however the government should be telling people what to do to that extent, but eh different place are just diff I guess.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

I quit too...smoking and haven't gained any either...mind you I am using a vaporizer..but it's not smoking.

Lots of time people gain because instead of smoking they are eating or they find after a time food does taste better or or or...just eat in a deficit you will continue to lose...

Oh congrats on quitting.

And yes your metabolism is a micro amount faster when smoking as it raises heart rate and blood pressure etc but not enough to make you gain 15lbs without eating more.

I quit 2 weeks ago, also using one of those vaporisers. It feels like I'm cheating, because it feels just like having a smoke except it tastes better and minus all the chemicals.
    Smoking definitely suppressed my appetite, if I was hungry I just nipped out and had a cuppa and ciggie and I was good.

I just got a vaporizer the other day :) So far so good. I hope to get off this eventually, too.

Re metabolism - I've read the difference is something like 200 calories (depending, obviously).

Now we've got trying to quit the vaporisers to look forward to!! I sincerely hope they don't come out with some danger associated with them!
    They've already banned selling nicotine here in Australia, we have to order it from the U.S Soon they're going to ban the import of it altogether!! Why????, Because the government isn't making any money from people who quit smoking.. bloody pathetic :angry:
    If nicotine is banned that would be why they're not selling them then. Nicotine itself is very bad and harmful for you even if it is vaporized and not smoked.

I don't agree however the government should be telling people what to do to that extent, but eh different place are just diff I guess.

It's not so much the nicotine, it's the other stuff in the juice and the way it's inhaled. Whatever. Cigarettes would never be approved if they came out today. Neither would alcohol for that matter. But there s every reason to think e cigs are safer than cigarettes, the lesser evil by far
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I quit smoking twice: Once for two weeks when I was 17, and within two weeks I gained 15 pounds not eating anything different. I started back again and like magic the weight dropped. Then when I was 51, I quit smoking. I also quit drinking wine every night, eating a large breakfast at the greasy spoon filled with smoke, and skipped my afternoon Snickers. Within four weeks, I gained 35 pounds. From 110 to 145. I freaked out and started exercising, three miles on a track every morning. The weight went down but very slowly. Got down to 123 then moved to another state where there weren't as many exercise resources. I ended up at just below 170. I joined the Y and slowly but surely, the weight is finally coming off. Nicotine definitely ruled my metabolism! But I'm not young and stupid like I was at 17 :wink:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking twice: Once for two weeks when I was 17, and within two weeks I gained 15 pounds not eating anything different. I started back again and like magic the weight dropped. Then when I was 51, I quit smoking. I also quit drinking wine every night, eating a large breakfast at the greasy spoon filled with smoke, and skipped my afternoon Snickers. Within four weeks, I gained 35 pounds. From 110 to 145. I freaked out and started exercising, three miles on a track every morning. The weight went down but very slowly. Got down to 123 then moved to another state where there weren't as many exercise resources. I ended up at just below 170. I joined the Y and slowly but surely, the weight is finally coming off. Nicotine definitely ruled my metabolism! But I'm not young and stupid like I was at 17 :wink:

Shite, that sucks!! :disappointed: I always thought people put on weight when they quit because they simply started eating more...
    It's been 2 weeks for me and I've neither lost nor gained. Keeping my fingers crossed that I won't pile the weight back on!

• bettieb1988
    edited February 2015
    Options

Oh congrats on quitting.

It's not so much the nicotine, it's the other stuff in the juice and the way it's inhaled. Whatever. Cigarettes would never be approved if they came out today. Neither would alcohol for that matter. But there s every reason to think e cigs are safer than cigarettes, the lesser evil by far

No the nicotine itself really is bad for you. Just the nicotine. Nicotine is a carcinogen and it causes bladder cancer, intestinal cancer, and causes vessel constriction within the body. I had a surgery awhile back and my doc would not perform It until I was free from all nicotine for at least two weeks meaning, no nicotine patches or vaporizers either because it slows healing and can cause other coagulation issues.

However I do agree with you that vapes probably are not as bad as lighting up.
  • tomatoey
    edited February 2015
    Options

Oh congrats on quitting.

No the nicotine itself really is bad for you. Just the nicotine. Nicotine is a carcinogen and it causes bladder cancer, intestinal cancer, and causes vessel constriction within the body. I had a surgery awhile back and my doc would not before it until I was free from all nicotine for at least two weeks meaning, no nicotine patches or vaporizers either because it slows healing and can cause other coagulation issues.

Bad for wound healing, yes, vasoconstrictor, yes. However, it's thought that nicotine might mitigate risk for Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. Also: people with schizophrenia who smoke, it's thought, use it to cope by upregulating dopamine.
    http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix
    http://themindunleashed.org/2014/10/nicotine-are-we-wrong.html

Patches are legal, btw. There just needs to be more research on vaporizers. The hysteria's a little, well, hysterical.

• fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Oh congrats on quitting.

No the nicotine itself really is bad for you. Just the nicotine. Nicotine is a carcinogen and it causes bladder cancer, intestinal cancer, and causes vessel constriction within the body. I had a surgery awhile back and my doc would not perform It until I was free from all nicotine for at least two weeks meaning, no nicotine patches or vaporizers either because it slows healing and can cause other coagulation issues.

Nicotine is a teratogen (capable of causing birth defects) but the information about nicotine as a carcinogen is inconclusive. Vaping it is "potentially carcinogenic" pending further research. Alcohol is also a carcinogen.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    UV rays from the sun are also a carcinogen.
  • aliciamunday7
    aliciamunday7 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Nicotine is also a treatment for some with IBS
  • bettieb1988
    Options
    Yes there are a lot of unknowns about it which is surprising given how long it's been around to be studied lol. For me personally though I find it best to avoid because of it's addictive nature and "possible" carcinogen effects.
  • bettieb1988
    Options
    Also here in the US all of the above are legal. So I'm not sure about other places
  • bettieb1988
    Options
    Also here in the US all of the above are legal. So I'm not sure about other places
  • fevrale
    Options
    Yes there are a lot of unknowns about it which is surprising given how long it's been around to be studied lol. For me personally though I find it best to avoid because of it's addictive nature and "possible" carcinogen effects.

I also think it's best avoided and I hope to get free sometime soon...but I kind of see smoking as my sinking ship (I did it on-and-off for 12 years) and vaping nicotine was my lifeboat. It's great that you were able to quit entirely, @Bettieb1988 I was never able to sustain it cold turkey.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have quit 5 times and never gained weight. It really has no correlation for me. Looking to quit again for the sixth time soon, lol.

• fevrale
    Options
    I have quit 5 times and never gained weight. It really has no correlation for me. Looking to quit again for the sixth time soon, lol.

I think I quit six real times. So maybe six is your lucky number! I quit...many more times...for a few days.

• atypicalsmith
    Options

Nope, you never quit. Because you are still smoking! You just stopped for a while. Quitting is never doing it again.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    whyquit.com
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    fevrale wrote: »

I think I quit six real times. So maybe six is your lucky number! I quit...many more times...for a few days.

LOL...

My first time was in college, that lasted for a month.

Next was pregnant, quit for 3yrs

Pregnant again, quit for 3yrs.

Then I quit because I was going to turn 40, that was for 5yrs.

Quit again, that only lasted a yr. and here sit. Granted I am not a heavy smoker. Mostly 5 cigs a day but still, does not help when you are exercising.

I am turning 50 tomorrow.