Any tips of a tighter, fitter figure?

Options
hey everyone.. I've lost weight but I've noticed I've lost size but never gain muscle tone.. Has anybody got any tips and/or tricks to help achieve an athletic figure?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Replies

• SonofNorthernDarkness
    Options
    lift weights
  • paulahope2
    Options
    Any particular regimes or programs you recommend for a beginner?
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    do they do body pump classes near you? body pump is great for beginners to weights, and if you combine it with a higher protein intake you will develop muscle tone. I used to do the weights classes but skip lunch or not eat enough protein, this was a mistake, you need to protein to build the muscle, and then the muscle burns more calories generally so it becomes a virtuous cycle!
  • paulahope2
    Options
    I'm not too sure.. Could be gyms in the area that have it.. But as I'm a student I tend to do what I can at home in between studying.. Do you know if "pump" can be found online or not?
    Also what equipment is used.. At home I have a small weight set (barbell and Dumbbells) a few yoga bits and pieces aswell.. But pretty unco when it comes to this stuff hahaha!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You can purchase Bodypump for the home, I believe, which involves a barbell and sometimes dumbbells. But bodypump is high rep, low weight.

A more effective way to retain your muscle while eating in a deficit would be to look into a program like New Rules of Lifting for Women (you may be able to get the book at your library), StrongLifts, or Strong Curves, which have you lifting heavy (for you) weights with lower reps. TBH, I don't know much about NRLFW or SC, but there are many groups here on MFP for people using those programs. There are also several women strength-training groups that you may want to look into.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    lift heavy. I lost 5lbs for my sister wedding but now what to be toned and am lifting heavy. It has shown results and I love it. Eat a lot of protein.
  • paulahope2
    Options
    Thankyou so much for your input! I'll look into the DVDs.. :)
    You look like you're doing great!! Look at your back, great muscle tone!! (If you don't mind me saying) :)
  • paulahope2
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!! I'll try to lift heavy, it's always a challenge at the start :P how long has it taken you progression wise? I'm one of these people who gets frustrated easy and give up always need that extra bit of support to get me over the line!! You're doing great sticking to the plan!!
    And I'll also up my protein intake.. I don't eat much protein that's probably half the battle!
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    paulahope2 wrote: »
    You look like you're doing great!! Look at your back, great muscle tone!! (If you don't mind me saying) :)

Thank you! When I first got started with weights, I started with bodypump, actually, going to the gym with my sister. If you start out lifting at home, I would really recommend starting with very light weight, or just bodyweight, and recording yourself performing the exercises so that you can check your form to make sure you're not putting yourself at risk of getting hurt before you start loading up to a challenging weight. I lift at home, and not having a trainer or an instructor to check my form is the thing I dislike most about it (although I've also had some terrible pump instructors who never corrected anyone's form even if they're just asking for an injury).

Bodybuilding.com has videos of just about every single exercise ever, so it would be worth watching them if you're not familiar with an exercise (or sometimes even if you are, as a refresher). I obsessively watched people squat, deadlift, bench, what have you, to make sure I was performing the moves properly, and still record myself with my ipod regularly to review my form.

ET include: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is your answer. Period! Just get on youtube and research proper form and go to the gym and lift weights. Worry about a perfect routine later, just make a habit of going right now and you will learn as you go. Seriously, GO.....why you still reading this. You have your answer.
  • paulahope2
    Options

Thank you! When I first got started with weights, I started with bodypump, actually, going to the gym with my sister. If you start out lifting at home, I would really recommend starting with very light weight, or just bodyweight, really, and recording yourself performing the exercises so that you can check your form to make sure you're not putting yourself at risk of getting hurt, before you start loading up to a challenging weight. I lift at home, and not having a trainer or an instructor to check my form is the thing I dislike most about it (although I've also had some terrible pump instructors who never corrected anyone's form even if they're just asking for an injury).

Bodybuilding.com has videos of just about every single exercise ever, so it would be worth watching them if you're not familiar with an exercise (or sometimes even if you are, as a refresher). I obsessively watched people squat, deadlift, bench, what have you, to make sure I was performing the moves properly, and still record myself with my ipod to review my form regularly.

ET include: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Oh true last thing I want is an injury!! I'll have a search on that site! Thanks for all the help! Do you mind if I add you?
  • paulahope2
    Options
    Lifting weights is your answer. Period! Just get on youtube and research proper form and go to the gym and lift weights. Worry about a perfect routine later, just make a habit of going right now and you will learn as you go. Seriously, GO.....why you still reading this. You have your answer.

Hahaha true!! Why am I still sitting here reading this!! Thanks for the motivation :)
    Options
    Oh true last thing I want is an injury!! I'll have a search on that site! Thanks for all the help! Do you mind if I add you?

Of course - I always like having new friends! I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm pretty active on MFP and have a bit of an obsessive tendency to read journal articles about fitness or diet related questions.

• Feelgood97
    Feelgood97 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Have fun dancing! :D
  • paulahope2
    Options
    Feelgood97 wrote: »
    Have fun dancing! :D

Hahaha!! Dancing is what I resort to when the frustration kicks in haha!!

It's not even good dancing, it's daggy dancing!! :p
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I believe that Fitness Blender (YouTube videos) has some weight workouts too
  • paulahope2
    Options
    I believe that Fitness Blender (YouTube videos) has some weight workouts too

Never realised how much there was out there!! I've been stuck in my bubble thinking I was alone!! Thanks so much :)
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender free on You tube!
  • sarbear112084
    sarbear112084 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    for home workout, I def recommend Beach Body's Les Mills Pump. It comes with weights and the bar and focuses on some upper body stuff but lots of squats and lunges. It's awesome and has great music.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Lift! Lift! Lift! I actually just started New Rules of Lifting for Women and it's a good program. It's about 6 months long and starts you out slow so your body has time to adjust. Eat a lot of protein to help your muscles repair and get stronger. You might not lose weight, but you'll lose a lot of inches and you'll feel healthier. It also has a meal plan and a detailed section on specific exercises. You can get it off amazon for about $15. If you're in college, you're probably already paying a rec fee as part of your student fees and can get free access to the school gym. That's what I do!