Eat junk or nothing?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    I would say you could eat the food, just small portions. I basically eat what i want, just not alot of it.

I don't get the logic behind answers like this. OP says they don't want to eat the food, response is "you can eat it. I eat what I want..."

Nor do I. It seems like anyone who wants to change their diet, not only for weight loss but for health reasons, they seem to feel the need to throw in CICO or, better yet, show a picture of some kind of unhealthy food....baffling.

I too find those posts baffling, but that was not really my point. My point is that the OP said they didn't want to eat the food, but was wondering if they should. An answer suggesting they eat what they want is silly and off point. They've already said that what they want is not available.

Personally, I wouldn’t eat the junk unless I was so hungry I was miserable. I’d wait until food that I did want was available. If I was so hungry I was miserable, then I’d eat enough to make me not miserable and make a mental note to bring something I like with me next time.

the error is in assigning a value of "junk" to food...

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'll be right there, I'm on the internet and a person finds a post baffling, so I have to get to the bottom of it. lol I love this place

I can't answer for the original baffled poster, but when someone posts that they don't want to eat junk and then someone responds with "there is no junk food, I had this for lunch", along with a pic of something like a 5000 calorie burger with 3 meat patties and about a lb of cheese, I find it baffling.

If they don't think that enourmous burger is junk, then why post it as a an example? How is what they ate relevant or helpful? If you check out the burger poster's diary, why is the burger rarely logged? What does CICO have to do with eating enourmous burgers or junk food you don't want? So many baffling questions.

People ask what someone considers junk food and why.. Because people who are new to this can have the misconception that they have to give up all sorts of things in order to lose weight. Why they think something is junk is very important. If they just think ice cream is junk because it has too much sugar and they are not diabetic..and they really like ice cream..yhey might be setting themselves up to fail. Restriction without any logical reason other than a bad label..isnt the way to go in order to be successful long term.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'll be right there, I'm on the internet and a person finds a post baffling, so I have to get to the bottom of it. lol I love this place

I can't answer for the original baffled poster, but when someone posts that they don't want to eat junk and then someone responds with "there is no junk food, I had this for lunch", along with a pic of something like a 5000 calorie burger with 3 meat patties and about a lb of cheese, I find it baffling.

If they don't think that enourmous burger is junk, then why post it as a an example? How is what they ate relevant or helpful? If you check out the burger poster's diary, why is the burger rarely logged? What does CICO have to do with eating enourmous burgers or junk food you don't want? So many baffling questions.

who posted a picture in this thread of a burger? Because I just skimmed the previous pages and do not see any said picture...

I think you are confused...

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

People ask what someone considers junk food and why.. Because people who are new to this can have the misconception that they have to give up all sorts of things in order to lose weight. Why they think something is junk is very important. If they just think ice cream is junk because it has too much sugar and they are not diabetic..and they really like ice cream..yhey might be setting themselves up to fail. Restriction without any logical reason other than a bad label..isnt the way to go in order to be successful long term.

^^This!

Granted, there are zealots on both sides of the "Everything in Moderation" and "Don't Eat Junk Food" camps. However, there are a lot of people who are just starting out and may have read an article or been told by someone who was told by someone that the only way to lose weight is to give up "junk" or eliminate sugar, or eat "clean". Most of the people who are questioning the reasons why someone is labeling food a certain way, are potentially trying to point out that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Also, to the point of whether or not a triple cheeseburger eater logs that or not, I find it far more prevalent that the "clean eaters" have closed diaries than a IIFYM burger eater failing to log their burger. Also I suspect that if everyone was honest with their logging and had open diaries, you would see a lot more similarities in the total daily consumption of the "clean eaters" and the "IIFYM" eaters, the difference is that one group calls it "treats" or "cheats" and one group calls it "fitting it in".

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Where is this picture? I wanna see.
  • richardositosanchez
    Options
    My daughters boyfriend brings his own food & I find it insulting. Everyone talks about him when they leave. I think you could find something to nible on.

Why is someone's personal preference for food insulting?

I find talking about people behind their backs to be more insulting.

Because people are a bunch of narcissist, hyper-sensitive p*ssies who think everything everyone says and does is an indirect insult to them. "Oh, my food isn't good enough?!?" Good lord, some people need to get over themselves.

• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Since you go every week, I think you need a plan. Personally, I'd have a hard time if one day a week I only had food options that I thought would derail my plan. A lot of people here are arguing semantics but I think the point is that it's food which is relatively high calorie, that will trigger your appetite/cravings, and that you don't even enjoy. It doesn't count as a psychological "cheat" meal - it sucks to have to use up "treat" calories on some food you find yucky. That's not a good combination.

Many of the posters here don't seem to understand that as humans, it matters how we interact with other humans in our lives. The MIL/DIL relationship can be especially complicated. If she's easily insulted, you'll be better off not eating in her home than bringing your own food: you really want to avoid the implication that what she serves isn't good enough for you. You could eat before you go, and then either claim not to be hungry or eat just enough to be polite.

If I hosted my inlaws weekly and they staunchy refused to eat that would be pretty bad, but if they kept bringing their own food and refused to eat what I prepared, I'd be pretty embarrassed, confused, and hurt. So another idea is to offer to bring a shared plate, like a salad with grilled chicken that everyone can share.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Unrelated point- I find it amusing that everyone on the internet seems to think that everyone else on the internet is too sensitive. Except for me. I possess the perfect level of sensitivity. ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

who posted a picture in this thread of a burger? Because I just skimmed the previous pages and do not see any said picture...

I didn't say in this thread.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You guys are fantastic :) This is better than watching a soap opera lol
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

For you, perhaps not. There is no one single way to be successful long term. People are different.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

lol......5000 calorie burger. Of course it would have to be because a normal size burger might not be classified as junk food in your world, or do I have that wrong.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

For you, perhaps not. There is no one single way to be successful long term. People are different.

Actually..i restrict the s**t out of my diet. 18g of net carbs a day or less.

That wasn't my point. Point was..people were asking about the OPs view on junk to better assist the OP. If you cut food you want for no other reason than the junk label..you aren't looking at food correctly and the chance for long term success and a good relationship with food is low.
  • ndj1979
    Options

then why mention it in relation to this thread????
  • dbmata
    Options

because, sausages can be made from bananas.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Someone asked.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Someone asked.

OK ..so you ranted about a theoretical burger to prove some point about junk food on this thread...got ya..

I guess if you assume that every burger is 5000 calories, then yea that would not be the best eating choice.

However, I can make my own burger at home and have two and they come in at about 700 calories, with toppings...

• ndj1979
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

because, sausages can be made from bananas.

but can you make bananas from sausages???
  • dbmata
    Options
    sausage banana sausage banana sausage banana.

It makes food!

It makes food!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

It makes food!

It makes food!

next question ..if you make sausage out of banana is it then junk???

*mindblown*